Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Keyless Ride  (Read 5818 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re: Keyless Ride
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 03:43:41 pm »
I think something is wrong with me. I must be the only one that has more than once remembered that I still need to take my key out of my pocket after I put my gloves on.

Its not coolness. you dump the key in your bike jacket pocket and forget it there for the rest of your trip, all hassles sorted, no risk of losing the key.

I have never lost a key from a pocket, but I have lost a lot of other stuff that was in the same pocket as the keys when taking them out.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 03:47:26 pm »
I think something is wrong with me. I must be the only one that has more than once remembered that I still need to take my key out of my pocket after I put my gloves on.

Its not coolness. you dump the key in your bike jacket pocket and forget it there for the rest of your trip, all hassles sorted, no risk of losing the key.

I have never lost a key from a pocket, but I have lost a lot of other stuff that was in the same pocket as the keys when taking them out.

Not at all, in the end it comes down to personal choice  :thumleft:

Just a question though...

I assume you still need the key to open the fuel filler cap, take off the seat and open or lock your panniers and top-box if you have the BMW luggage with matched key?

Offline TheBear

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 09:23:35 am »
I assume you still need the key to open the fuel filler cap, take off the seat and open or lock your panniers and top-box if you have the BMW luggage with matched key?

Apparently all push button when remote is around.  It is rather nifty technology.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 09:34:08 am »
It is indeed the case that the car keeps on running even if the remote is removed from the vehicle. Very important to place it in a safe place, before driving off then.

I still think it is a good idea on the bike though, you zip the key in you jacket pocket, and off you go, no more removing gloves after I am on the bike, to battle the key out of my pocket.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 09:36:54 am »

Apparently all push button when remote is around.  It is rather nifty technology.

OK, that at least is good.

I assume if the remote goes belly up you can still unlock everything and start with a key?

Offline TheBear

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 10:11:34 am »
It is indeed the case that the car keeps on running even if the remote is removed from the vehicle. Very important to place it in a safe place, before driving off then.

According to the salesman at a well know manufacturer, it is one of the greatest safety features since R4 assault rifles.  

Anyway, as I have said earlier, many of the nifty stuff on vehicles today will be liked by some and not liked by others.  A few years ago my brother-in-law had a Mazda bakkie.  It had this incredible safety feature that the bonnet release worked electronically.  Immobilized and alarmified by the vehicles safety systems.   All so nasty criminals cannot get in there to disconnect your security systems ... or, that the owner cannot get in there to connect jumper cables or a charger to the F(*^&)((^ING flat battery!

I assume if the remote goes belly up you can still unlock everything and start with a key?

On the Beemer, apparently yes.  On our car, nope.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:12:46 am by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 08:41:32 am »
Now then, with keyless riding sorted, how about another bit of electronic trickery we see in modern cars, which may well be the next Beemer "buy me" thingy.

Auto start/stop!   :patch:
.#BRADICAL!

Offline BMW GS Motorrad Fan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • Sandton Auto BMW Motorrad
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 04:30:03 pm »
Now then, with keyless riding sorted, how about another bit of electronic trickery we see in modern cars, which may well be the next Beemer "buy me" thingy.

I think auto stop / start is brilliant in my car, so why not have it on your motorcycle!

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 04:36:33 pm »

I think auto stop / start is brilliant in my car, so why not have it on your motorcycle!

It is the most irritating feature of my otherwise brilliant BMW, I think it is plain stupid to stop and start an engine in such short frequencies.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 04:56:46 pm »
It is the most irritating feature of my otherwise brilliant BMW, I think it is plain stupid to stop and start an engine in such short frequencies.

The jury in my head is still out on this.  Our Ford thankfully have a on/off switch.  It can be okay if you get used to it, I guess, but I am wondering if the starter has been beefed up to manage, potentially hundreds of starts a day, instead of two?
.#BRADICAL!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 10:48:56 pm »
The bmw cars have beefed up starters for the stop/start. I find I miss it when I actually want to stop for more than a few seconds. Rest of the time I creep the car a lot or put it of.

on the keyless go in the car...driving off without the key gave dashboard warnings, car died when I stopped then and did not want to start again. I believe the setup on the bike will be similar.

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 10:51:00 am »
Happened to me a couple of times that I press the wrong button, in stead of the "off" button for the stop/start, I press the ignition button, whilst kreeping. Resulting in a very sudden stop!

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2014, 11:02:27 am »
I do not think the bike will start without the remote being in close vicinity to the bike. My car certainly don't

Try this Jan.  Start your car with the remote at hand.  Then leave the remote behind and drive off.  See how far you go before the car cuts out.   Some cars (assuming bike may be the same) will not die.  They will keep running as a safety (during hijacking for instance) feature.  It will only refuse to start the next time you try to start.  By then, you and the remote could be a long way apart from each other.

Yip. Then 300km away from home, someone will have to bring the key for you.
Or Roadside Assist will tow you home  :laughing4:
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline TheBear

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 07:15:30 pm »

Dude, that would be a heavenly problem.

With real bad luck, as we married chaps sometimes suffer, I would pull the car from the garage for the dear wife.  Then she gets in and drive off, while I go to work.  300km later she is stranded and I have the keyless thingy in my pocket .....  death and destruction will be the peaceful option ...  :eek7:
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Walter ZSA

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2014, 05:58:50 am »
I do not think the bike will start without the remote being in close vicinity to the bike. My car certainly don't

Try this Jan.  Start your car with the remote at hand.  Then leave the remote behind and drive off.  See how far you go before the car cuts out.   Some cars (assuming bike may be the same) will not die.  They will keep running as a safety (during hijacking for instance) feature.  It will only refuse to start the next time you try to start.  By then, you and the remote could be a long way apart from each other.

Gaan lekker de moer in wees as ek solo in die karoo en my bike vrek 10 km uit Loxton en ek moet terug loop om dit te gaan haal.Simpel feature as jy my vra!!!
Previously known as Wall-e

Offline TheBear

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 07:13:03 am »
Electronic wizardry.  All cool when working properly.  My Ford bakkie,  06 model does not have much,  but one day at work,  I started it.  Then a colleague came up and I got out to have a chat.  During the chat I closed the door and it,  for some reason promptly locked itself!  I now had a vehicle,  securely locked,  with the bloody engine running! 

Moerse funny now,  thinking back.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Charlie600

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 12:58:29 pm »
I've just received confirmation from Bavarian motorcycles in Centurion that BMW will not be bringing the key less option to South Africa, seeing that it will apparently be a R30k option if they were to provide the SA public with the said option...It's a real pity seeing that the cost of key less on a car is sub R5K and this feature really would've been amazing!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 10:55:34 am »
... will apparently be a R30k option if they were to provide the SA public with the said option...

Whooaaaa!   I can help with a much cheaper solution.  Call me.  We negotiate.  I can do the N-A-K technology for any bike, Beemer of other wise, for a miniscule R3k.  That is 10% of what the option will cost you at BMW!  Call now, don't delay!  N-A-K Technology!  Get it now!

.#BRADICAL!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 12:20:41 pm »
Electronic wizardry.  All cool when working properly.  My Ford bakkie,  06 model does not have much,  but one day at work,  I started it.  Then a colleague came up and I got out to have a chat.  During the chat I closed the door and it,  for some reason promptly locked itself!  I now had a vehicle,  securely locked,  with the bloody engine running! 

Moerse funny now,  thinking back.

How did you sort this out in the end?

Offline TheBear

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2014, 01:48:42 pm »
How did you sort this out in the end?

Broke the little sliding bit of the rear cab window.  Thankfully it was possible (as I had hoped) to replace only that bit.

Ford denied that it is at all possible to happen.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:49:47 pm by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!