Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Keyless Ride  (Read 5905 times)

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
Re: Keyless Ride
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2014, 04:22:35 pm »
I've just received confirmation from Bavarian motorcycles in Centurion that BMW will not be bringing the key less option to South Africa, seeing that it will apparently be a R30k option if they were to provide the SA public with the said option...It's a real pity seeing that the cost of key less on a car is sub R5K and this feature really would've been amazing!
I think this is a BS story. Keyless option in France is only 246.  There must be another reason.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:29:06 pm by Copernicus »
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline GS12

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 06:43:08 pm »
Saw a new 2015 std GS (not Adv) at my dealer this morning and he says its a R9k option.....

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 12:28:15 am »
That is still a lot.  The Euro price comes to about R3500 and that includes 20% VAT.  The mark-up on the extras are then quite high in SA.  But the base bike prices are good.  The GSA in France (base price) is much more than in SA.  I don't have the exact amounts but I guess the difference is about R50K, maybe more.  Therefore not bad for SA.  Apologies for deviating from the original topic.

Offline Tp007

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 10:14:38 am »
My brother just borrowed my NC. He commuted to work this morning on his Harley with a keyless system. He started the bike in his garage this morning but forgot to put the pug in his pocket and rode to work. Now he cant restart the bike without the pug... >:D

Sometimes having a key system is a bit better. ;)

Online TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 10:22:33 am »
My brother just borrowed my NC. He commuted to work this morning on his Harley with a keyless system. He started the bike in his garage this morning but forgot to put the pug in his pocket and rode to work. Now he cant restart the bike without the pug... >:D

:imaposer:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline silvrav

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2014, 10:36:41 am »

lol, but kak keyless syste then...bike shouldve died 5meters from the key left at home.

Offline Tp007

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2014, 10:41:02 am »

lol, but kak keyless syste then...bike shouldve died 5meters from the key left at home.
The transponder is only required to cancel the immobilizer. So once the bike is running, you can ride without it...

Offline silvrav

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 10:43:46 am »

The transponder is only required to cancel the immobilizer. So once the bike is running, you can ride without it...
mmmm, still a silly design if you can leave it somewhere or fall out your pocket.

Online TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 10:44:37 am »
keyless syste then...bike shouldve died 5meters from the key left at home.

Actually, arguable whether kak or not.  It is boosted as a security feature by Ford and others.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:45:10 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Cobus G

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2014, 01:23:11 pm »
So from what my Pinetown dealer have told me, it seems the 2015 GS's will not have keyless start OR  the gear assist Pro as import option? So if I understand this correctly, the only advantage to buying a 2015 GS, would be the heavier flywheel found on the LCA? I suppose you can still add gear assist pro as an after market fit?
Sometimes it takes a WHOLE tank of petrol to clear your mind...

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2014, 05:43:13 pm »
I think gear assist pro is available as an option in SA.  It is only the keyless that is not.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2014, 06:51:40 am »
I have a BMW car with keyless.

I tested it...it moans when driven without the key. I am pretty sure the bike will be the same. Loads of flashy warnings on the dash.

Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Online TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2014, 07:45:36 am »
I have a BMW car with keyless.

I tested it...it moans when driven without the key. I am pretty sure the bike will be the same. Loads of flashy warnings on the dash.

Jip.  We tested our Ford last weekend.  Although it doesn't die it does complain a lot.  Seems the Salesman who explained about the safety feature had not yet tried it himself.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 04:45:57 pm »
How does it deal with the steering lock?

Steering lock is motorised. You push the 'button' (where the key would go normally) for a second or so longer and it activates with a slight buzz.

Having lived with the keyless for a while I have a few observations:

It is not more convenient than an ordinary key.  The ordinary key has a place to stay on the bike and you always know where to find it.  Not the case with keyless.

Best is to find a place where you can leave it permanently (either on yourself or in the tank bag etc.)  It obviates constantly looking for it in who knows how many pockets.

The fuel tank is not locked unless the handlebars are locked.  No keyhole for the filler cap.

There is no ignition keyhole and therefore no back-up if the system fails (except for trying your spare key).  As far as I can see, there is nothing you can remove that will allow you to use the key in conventional mode.

Keyless makes more sense on the RT (and similar road bikes) since it unlocks the boxes too.  On the GS/A, it remains a manual effort.

Although it may look cool, I don't think it is worth the extra dough (for the DS bikes).  Also, they only give you one key (plus the plastic spare).  

I don't think South Africans should be too disappointed that the feature is not available there.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:45:37 pm by Copernicus »