Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: L C GEARBOX  (Read 3215 times)

Offline COLES

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
L C GEARBOX
« on: October 22, 2014, 03:52:08 pm »

Hi Fellows

Can anybody shed any light on the following problem

GS 1200 L C 13295 km on clock on a short ride the bike locked in 5 th gear, when you pull the clutch in the bike rolls freely. One cannot move the gear lever up or down

No noise from the engine what so ever

Offline OomD

Re: L C GEARBOX
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:32:34 pm »
Wow. Moving freely when pulling in the clutch makes me think the lockup is engine related, but the gear-lever not moving says otherwise. Sounds like something is broken on the gear selector maybe? Love to hear the outcome of this.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:46:28 pm »
Also think it is the gear selector links. Easy to check, let soneone just have a look if you are not technical minded. If its the links its normally an easy fix, bend straight or lubricate

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:29:02 pm »

Hi Fellows

Can anybody shed any light on the following problem

GS 1200 L C 13295 km on clock on a short ride the bike locked in 5 th gear, when you pull the clutch in the bike rolls freely. One cannot move the gear lever up or down

No noise from the engine what so ever

your scoot coles?

Online TheBear

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:55:41 am »
Also think it is the gear selector links. Easy to check, let soneone just have a look if you are not technical minded. If its the links its normally an easy fix, bend straight or lubricate

Just over 13000k on the clock.  Still under warranty.  Take to BMW to repair.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline lecap

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 10:22:02 am »
Wow. Moving freely when pulling in the clutch makes me think the lockup is engine related, but the gear-lever not moving says otherwise. Sounds like something is broken on the gear selector maybe? Love to hear the outcome of this.
Yep.
If it locks up when you release the clutch and rolls when you pull the clutch I would say it suspiciously looks as if your engine has seized.
The gear lever not moving is likely collateral. It's for some reason stuck in fifth.
The bike rolling with clutch disengaged pretty much proves that the gear shafts turn.
You might be able to change gears by rocking the bike forwards and backwards whilst pushing the lever as when changing gears.

To quickly check if the engine has seized remove a spark plug from each cylinder and try to push or to turn the wheel with the bike on the centre stand. You should be able to turn the engine over without too much effort.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Online TheBear

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:12 am »

Yep.
If it locks up when you release the clutch and rolls when you pull the clutch I would say it suspiciously looks as if your engine has seized.

It sounds like the engine is running.  Maybe the OP can clear that up?

If the bike is stuck in 5th gear, it will not roll with the clutch lever released.

Anyway, bike is under warranty.  Make it BMW;s problem.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:47:04 am by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline COLES

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 05:26:16 pm »

Hey Fellows

Thanks for the info, the engine runs. bike was bought as code three hence no warranty.

Online TheBear

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 07:05:30 pm »

Hey Fellows

Thanks for the info, the engine runs. bike was bought as code three hence no warranty.

Okay.  Engine not seized.  That's how I read it.
Clutch is working, as it clearly releases and takes.
Must be, as suggested earlier a problem in the selectors.  This could be, if you are very lucky, the linkages on the outside of the gearbox.  If less lucky, the selector inside the gearbox.  I have no idea how much work it is to open the LC to check and fix.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 09:00:34 pm »

Hey Fellows

Okay.  Engine not seized.  That's how I read it.
Clutch is working, as it clearly releases and takes.
Must be, as suggested earlier a problem in the selectors.  This could be, if you are very lucky, the linkages on the outside of the gearbox.  If less lucky, the selector inside the gearbox.  I have no idea how much work it is to open the LC to check and fix.

Wet cassette type clutch,  easy to open

Online TheBear

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 07:25:22 am »
Wet cassette type clutch,  easy to open

Clutch yes.  I have no idea about the gearbox, if that is required though.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline lecap

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 08:32:25 am »
To get the terminology right:
It's STUCK in fifth, won't allow to shift up or down.
Engine runs.
Clutch disengages.

You can basically ride the bike but only in fifth gear which is not really that enjoyable.

LOCKING usually is used to refer to a scenario where your travel comes to an abrupt end at the end of a longer or shorter skid mark caused by a LOCKED wheel.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline OomD

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 09:08:07 am »
Engine runs.
Clutch disengages.

You can basically ride the bike but only in fifth gear which is not really that enjoyable.

LOCKING usually is used to refer to a scenario where your travel comes to an abrupt end at the end of a longer or shorter skid mark caused by a LOCKED wheel.

Agree, sounds more like nbike is STUCK in 5th gear, not LOCKED...

Online TheBear

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 10:19:10 am »
Engine runs.
Clutch disengages.

Oh screw the terminology.  I understood exactly what he meant.   :ricky:
.#BRADICAL!

Offline COLES

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 11:48:45 am »

Hey Fellows

Are there any dogs out there that have had this problem

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 05:53:45 pm »
Coles, jyst to clear up. (dont think I saw any reference to that before)

1. the bike is 'locked' in 5th. ?
2. Is it rideable? - slip cluch and pull away (I even did that in 6th on my 1200GS from deur die kak geit by verkeerslig)
3. What was the accident like.  If the bike can ride it could be a selector issue if not it might be stuck in two gears. (Common problem on some Toyota transfer boxes that 'lock' in 4wd.

OK, just read your post again SO above 1: Yes, 2:Yes 3:??

I assume
1. piece of metal got in the gear selector cartrige and it can not rotate.
2. the 'pawl' from the gear lever that rotate the cartrige became stuck in the 'inbetween' position. How much does the gearlever move or is it 'solid?
3. Anything on the outside links that could make it jam.

If the lever is 'free to move' (no obstruction) you could try to rock the bike fore and aft while pressing the lever up or down without pulling the clutch (rocking the bike). (That is how we got the Toyota sorted). You might need some force but do not blame me :-(

My gut feel is that something inside is 'broken' as it is not a common problem for the cartridge selector to lock unless there are excessive play.  Die slimmer mechanics kan my reghelp -ek net enjineer wat veronderstel is om te weet hoe die goed werk, nie om hulle reg te maak nie  >:D

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak

rockfox.co.za

Laat ons Stof maak.

Online TheBear

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 08:39:21 am »
My gut feel is that something inside is 'broken' as it is not a common problem for the cartridge selector to lock unless there are excessive play. 

My guess too.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline COLES

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 01:33:42 pm »

Hi Weedkiller Adie

The bikes motor runs, no problem there u can rock the bike but it does not move out of gear, your info I believe is spot on

thank u ever so much

Offline COLES

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 01:33:59 pm »

Hi Weedkiller Adie

The bikes motor runs, no problem there u can rock the bike but it does not move out of gear, your info I believe is spot on

thank u ever so much

Offline GYRO RATFINK

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 07:37:12 am »
Buy a Yamaha!!
Bike history: YAMAHA FS 1 50, Jawa 250, DT 175, YZ 125, RM 125, RM 370, DT 400, XL 500, KDX 200,GSA 1200, GS 1200, GS 1150, GSA 1150, R 80 GS, DUCATI MULISTRADA, CBR REPSOL, WR 250, XT500, KTM ADVR. STILL HAVE 7 OF THESE.