Ryperd's Northern Cape Adventure 2008

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ou Ryperd

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Marina & I decided to go on an adventure trip this past Easter weekend to the Northern Cape, for some soul searching.

We left Thursday 06:30 with no final route planned.  Our goal was to visit as many of the small towns as possible on our way.

The churches in the video:

Wesselsbron
Bultfontein
Dealesville
Boshof
Orania
Prieska
Van Wyksvlei

Day 1 was a long day in the saddle so we stayed on tar most of the way, with our 1st dirt between Bultfontein and Dealesville. A road as white as rice, smooth surface, and great confidence booster.

We decided to head to Orania, and to see what's different. Part from the fact that everyone is white, speaks afrikaans, and that they have their own currency, nothing strange was encountered, except that the people are friendly.

Friday morning we left early, Orania was closed for business, so we had to go to Hopetown for breakfast - steak pizza, scramble eggs and toast.

From Hopetown we took the dirt to Prieska - another great dirt road! In Prieska we filled up, took a pic of the church and headed to Nelspoortjie, our accommodation for the weekend (www.nelspoortjie.co.za). Pieter & Wilhette, thank you for a great weekend!!!

Saturday morning we headed to Verneukpan via Van Wyksvlei.  Needed to fill up with fuel. After we left, they locked the gate - no more fuel for the day!!!   I had to reserve my exploring to the essentials only!

The dirt road to Van Wyksvlei and onto Verneukpan ranged from hard dirt to badly corrugated to sandy to ruts to mud, great ride!!!

Verneukpan (www.verneukpan.co.za) is situated on private land, so one has to ask permission from the farmer to enter - no problem, as they are friendly and helpful.  According to my own calculations based on Mapsource, the pan is 17km wide and 33km long at it's widest and longest points - a sea of nothing! After the pan, we headed back to Nelspoortjie.

Monday morning we headed home. Total distance 2180km. Sore bums, but great memories.

Now, sit back, turn the volume up and enjoy our trip with us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnxXOGIudJE