Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Need advice on buying this DR200  (Read 1445 times)

Nick86

Need advice on buying this DR200
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:34:01 am »
What do you guys think? Any feedback will be appreciated. I am very interested to buy this DR. R11 000

The bike has just been serviced and new tires have been put on. everything is in perfect running condition. it has been for its roadworthy and licensed in the last month. it is a awesome beginners bike and has served me well. a lot of time and work has gone into getting it as it is and i am sad to see it go. the bike is yellow and only has a kick start(no electric starter!) but starts on first or second kick. it also has a decompression leaver but has no use as the bike always started with out using it, leaver is still there but i have removed the cable. it is an easy ride and good on and off road. really does need a good new home as i now have a new bike and dont want to see it rot in my garage like the one before.

Offline Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
Re: Need advice on buying this DR200
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:39:52 am »
Ek dink jou prys is dalk so bietjie hoog....Ek kon 'n mooi een kry  vir R8000 maar het toe iets anders gekoop.My 2c...
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Nick86

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 09:43:45 am »
I thinking of Buying this Bike, I am not selling this Bike. Do you think this is a good buy?

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:46:26 am »
stick with your price not a bad buy at all, if no one answers then it was too high, i think you will move it papers rwc a big plus, rather have a Zook then a zing ling for similar price,
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:48:00 am »
Sorry u are buying not selling, on face value does not look bad seen worse for more

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:52:30 am »
What am I missing? The bike looks badly neglected to me  ???
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:50 am »
pray tell whts neglected from that pic, needs a good wash seat either faded or recovered , take the post as fact re service etc

Offline Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 09:55:28 am »
Sorry ekt ook gedink jy wil verkoop.Shop nog bietjie rond,jy kan 'n mooier een kry vir R11000
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 10:04:59 am »
That is a very old DR200. The newer ones had electric start. Price seems a bit on the high side to me. Its probably worth about half that.

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 10:17:37 am »
pray tell whts neglected from that pic, needs a good wash seat either faded or recovered , take the post as fact re service etc

Sorry DR BIG. On the pic the bike just look like it has been left outside in the sun or rain for very long time. Rust,fading and general cosmetic condition ,just signs of a non caring owner maybe to me. Remember just my opinion from the pic. The bike might be mechanically 100%.
Do you know this bike?
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline arno

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Toppie......Gooi Mielies!!
    • http://www.princealbertcycles .co.za
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 10:20:52 am »
Have you seen the bike ?
The language in the ad ?
Fietse van die verlede: BMW F800GS ,BMW 1150 GS, Honda 305 cc, Honda 400 FOUR, Honda 550 FOUR, BMW 600/6 , DR 650

Tans:  Trapfiets

Nick86

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 10:53:06 am »
Just copied and pasted the write up

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 11:47:34 am »
Never seen the bike , no idea who buyer or seller is, I just know the bike(model) is a solid  machine, it is the "" enduro model"" not the street scrambler version which has a higher spec regarding rwc goodies, I just thought its a fair price assuming the condition is ok, granted dirty faded but wheels general mechanics dont look bad, and internal service engine etc well that is only based on the posting, and there id no reason for me not to beleive the guy. granted it is high for that year bike, but the whole SA 2nd hand market is totally lopsided so in that reaspect I thought the price was fair. I can show some examples of price vs condition youll shit yourself, but as you say its just an opninion maybe its a kak one but at least its free :thumleft:

Nick86

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 12:29:42 pm »
I just viewed the bike 20 minutes ago. Exhaust is badly rusted so it will  need to be replaced

Online chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 07:16:14 pm »
My wife is on her second DR 200 SE. I also bought 2 non-runners on the Forum, fixed them, and sold them on the Forum. (They both stood for a long time.) One was the Djebel edition. All electric start. I wouldn't pay R 11k for this old specimen. Agree with DeepBass9 on pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 11:05:49 am »
I know the bike. It's not pretty but not bad either. Technically it's 100%, I saw the engine from the inside (it was fully disassembled to replace the kick start spindle). I know the mechanic who did the engine & the bike.
For a 31 year old bike it's actually not in bad condition. The rusted exhaust is pretty much standard on all DS bikes of this vintage. No need to replace straight away, it's neither got non standard holes nor is it busy falling off.

No problem with spares as technically it's near identical to the DR200 / Djebel 200 up to 1999 model (just no electric start) and close enough to the current model.

I've seen much worse bikes sold for more money.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline kelly007

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • wee
Re:
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 11:14:48 pm »
Just as a comparison, I sold my 2005 for 10k last year with 2 8 000 km,  i think it was in better condition than the pic.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 07:31:03 am »
Ok chaps - this is my son's bike in Cape Town.............. he's the chap that was supported by so many WD's after breaking his leg - post here with more pics of the bike on this page of the thread.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=108522.180

Unfortunately the payment from the R.A.F is taking a long time - however the little bike was taken to Adrian v.d Merwe at Cape Bike Travel - where it stood for a long time until funds could be sourced to do a lot of work on the bike......... everything from swing-arm bearings, engine....... well as LeCap said - it was totally stripped.

Yes there's some wear & tear....... but I'd say that mechanically it's in good nick.

Let me know if you want to make an offer on the bike..... I'll chat to the kid...  :thumleft:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()