LuckyStrikerâ??s DR650SE Report and Pimp Guide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was this review helpful to you?

• Yes

Votes: 30 88.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

LuckyStriker

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
lsbythesea2nv5.jpg

More than 3000km behind me and time to share my impressions with you fine folks of the cyber sphere.
As most of you know I previously owned a R1200GS Adventure before I got the DR650. Therefore I will base all comparisons on that bike and other bikes I have spent time on such as the KLR.

Modifications: The very first thing I changed was the handlebars. Then came the long-range tank followed by a bike computer, bash plate and carrier rack.
I also removed the rear foot pegs, chain roller and front reflectors.

mg4683zp4.jpg

The Tank:
When first I saw the DR650, I was surprised by how small the tank was. It holds 13litres of which 3litres are reserve, giving it an estimated range of 260km. That is enough for anywhere in South Africa as long as you head straight from one town to the next, with no fooling around in-between.
Replacing it with a larger tank is a must if you plan to cross the border. I fitted the 33litre Safari tank which should theoretically give a range between 660- and 700km. Many say that you will never need that much petrol but I say itâ??s better to have the option and not use it than running out of fuel just once.

Dimensions: The bike is positively tiny compared to a 1200GSA. I will list a few dimensions (compared to the 1200GSA and KLR650):

.DR650SE1200GSAKLR650
Length:2255mm2210mm2294mm
Width:865mm915mm960mm
Height:1195mm-1348mm
Wheelbase:1490mm1511mm1480mm
Ground clearance:265mm-211mm
Seat height:885mm915mm889mm
Dry weight:147kg223kg175kg
Front wheel:90/90-21110/80-1990/90-21
Rear wheel:120/90-17150/70-17130/80-17
Fuel capacity:13litres33litres23litres

Speed & Power: The bike is surprisingly quick and can hold itâ??s own against most other 650 thumpers. When it comes to top speed, the engine fails to impress though. A headwind will slow the bike right down to 100km/h no matter how you twist that throttle. A tail wind will allow it to zip along at a 155km/h but I donâ??t recommend you stay at that speed for long as the engine feels stressed.
A good cruising speed is around 120- to 130km/h when the engine drills along without complaint.
Power is sufficient. I could get up any hill and dune I have tried thus far. Acceleration is brisk and to date no car has managed to out accelerate me from a traffic light.

The rides thus far: Most of it has been commuting, which explains the low odo count.
I have only done three trips; one to Katbakkies pass, another to Middelpos and one to Tietiesbaai. The longest I stayed in the saddle was about 150km in one straight sitting.

lsbythesea4lm4.jpg

Handling: A great handler! Wobble free at speed and sharp steering in the dirt. It handles like a pig compared to my mateâ??s YZ125 2-stroke, but compared to anything else itâ??s as light as a butterfly.

shootout61ne1.jpg

Pillion: Lifting a passenger is basically out of the question unless itâ??s to the shop and back. The rear section of the seat is very uncomfortable and cramped. The bike is also not big and powerful enough to transport two people and their luggage for extended periods of time and speed.

Comfort: Comfort is secondary to function. The seat is NOT comfortable but after spending a while on it will at least toughen up your butt to handle around 100km per sitting. Fortunately the seat is fairly long and you can move around it to alleviate certain dead spots before you get monkeybutt.

shootout117vd7.jpg

Weight: Itâ??s great to have a bike that weighs so little (147kg dry). You tend to ride places you wouldnâ??t before, because you donâ??t fear getting stuck anymore.

p1000471xu8.jpg

Finishings: If there is only one reason to go for a Suzuki over a Chinese/Korean/Indian brand it is build quality. Even compared to Kawasakiâ??s KLR, the DR looks good. The metal looks purer and the panels fit better. The DR may be Spartan but nothing rattles and nothing falls off.

lsbythesea1bj3.jpg

Protection: The small oil cooler has a protection bar as factory standard. Everything else is exposed and need some protection. Especially the sump.

bp18ee5.jpg

Brakes: I wish it had better brakes. They are pretty bad and I donâ??t ever want to find myself in a situation where I have to grab a handful. The bike also likes to nose dive something fierce. It is sometimes better to slow down using the rear brake and just warm up the single front disc until you are ready to use it to stop the bike completely.
As bad as they are on tar, they are great on dirt. Locking up the rear before powering through a corner is safe and without surprises. Even if you use the front brake on dirt it wonâ??t suddenly deposit you on the ground.

Heated grips: Hahaâ?¦
I donâ??t even think the alternator is strong enough to power them.

Wind Protection: Contrary to what you may have read in some publications, the wind isnâ??t such a problem. I am quite tall and slender and I donâ??t have a big problem with the wind. Sure it pushes against the neck but the 120km/h realistic cruising speed limit of the bike makes this a non-issue.
The pain in your arse drowns out all other feelings of discomfort and I for one have never suffered a crick in the neck because of the DRâ??s lack of wind protection.

Exhaust Note: Sheâ??s pretty quiet, reminding you of a sewing machine fitted with a muffler, operated inside a closet by an on-duty assassin.

Instrumentation: There is nothing to keep you busy on the long trek. All you get is a lying Speedo (around 20km/h incorrect at top speed), Odometer, Trip meter, Neutral, Turn and Bright idiot lights.

shootout005mg6.jpg

So I retrofitted the bike with a Trailtech computer. Now I have a Speedometer, Odometer, Trip meter 1 + 2, Lap timer, Stopwatch, Clock, Ambient temp gauge, Engine temp gauge, Rev counter, Rev warning light, Temp warning light, Top speed indicator/warning light, etc. Tetris or Solitaire would have been great but sadly lacking.

comp5qu3.jpg

Attention: Nobody really notices you. Some people actually look away as you approach. My mother feels sorry for me and has offered to loan me money.
Very few people will admire the bike and congratulate your choice in machine. Be ready for female rejection.

Conclusion: Itâ??s not for posers. Itâ??s primitive but reliable. If you buy one I recommend you pull it onto the lawn and get a deck chair, open a beer and just sit there staring at it for a while. Try to think of all the good things about it.
You can cross the Sahara in the same places other will bog down. You can waddle through swamps that will kill bigger bikes. You can pull it out of ditches where others will have to dig. You can fix it in deepest darkest Africa with the help of a cattle herdsman while others will have to call for rescue.

Pros: Finally a bike that you can absolutely rely on! Is it bullet proof? Probably not, but itâ??s a damn sight easier to maintain yourself and it wonâ??t let you down if you take care of it.
Cons: Itâ??s small and uglyâ?¦

lsbythesea3rn6.jpg

I am not sorry I bought it. When Iâ??m away from the bike I detest it a little but once Iâ??m on it I love it to bits.
My wife has offered to buy it from me and use it as her personal commuter and weekend weapon, which makes me very, very happy. This means we can keep the DR and I can blow my money on the new Yamaha Tenere.
I will always love the DR and 10 years hence I will hold it up for scrutiny and proclaim (right or wrong) that THIS was the last true DS bike ever built.
Viva DR, Viva!