Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: halfjob's "Plaas"  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
halfjob's "Plaas"
« on: October 26, 2014, 04:08:15 pm »
The reason behind the thread - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=161100.0

Thanks Marc aka halfjob for your hospitality  :thumleft:

We were the first to take halfjob up on his offer of a free weekend to check out his spot outside Somerset West where he currently has a park-home which sleeps 4 people and the perfect spots and plans for camp sites.

For a weekend away from Cape Town it is the perfect place, a beautiful setting among the trees, far enough out of Somerset West to be private, yet close enough for a quick weekend break-away and close enough to town if you forgot to buy beer or such.

The park-home is perfect for a family of 4, with a nice big veranda and a braai spot, with electricity, gas stove, fridge, double bed and two bunk beds.
It is not huge, it is not new, but it works well  :thumleft:

We arrived there yesterday, the wind was pumping all the way there and did not let up through the night, but with all the trees it was not a problem at all.

Once we unpacked and had a cold beer, we took the plastics for a ride on the farm, great little trails to take kids on, or to go and teach kids or newbies to ride (no, it is not for your Amageza/Dakar training, more for a relaxed little ride on the farm).

There is a stunning dam on the farm, with clear water, a grassy bank on the one side where one could camp, and a spot on the other side where a future camp site is planned under the trees.

The setting is simply awesome!

Yes there is work to be done, halfjob has a number of plans, so if you are after 5 star it is not the place for you, but if you are after a nice weekend away in a stunning setting with hospitable hosts then give it a try.

Thanks Marc, and also apologies for quietly leaving after lunch today (no we did not take the towels  :imaposer:) but the teenager needed to get back home to do school work unfortunately.

We will definitely visit again.

A few photos...

Accommodation

Riding the trails, we found the tracks of a huge animal, but no droppings or actual sightings of the beast...

Future camp site

Gone fishing...

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:10:48 pm by Garfield »

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
Re: halfjob's "Plaas"
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 04:10:30 pm »
Lyk pragtig daarso  :thumleft:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline gwild

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 08:32:47 pm »
Nice, so how do we book a weekend?  :thumleft:

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:35:32 pm »

Offline Jakkals

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:43:33 pm »
Baie nice Garfield, daar kan dit mos lekker raak. :thumleft:
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline halfjob

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 09:33:32 pm »
Good to meet you and the family Kobus and thanks for giving it a try  :thumleft: apologies for the wind factory you probably thought you were in a boat last night  :imaposer: yes lots of work to be done, its like eating an elephant  :ricky: one bite at a time  :lol8: next is to re do all the upholstery and re paint  :biggrin: look forward to seeing you guys again  :thumleft:  :deal:
i only work to support my hobbies!!

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:36:36 am »
It really is a stunning area, and please do not make it too fancy, the park-home is great for a weekend and if you have a few grassy camp spots next to the dam with a toilet and shower it will be perfect.

Offline halfjob

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 01:00:58 pm »
yes that's what i am planning to do, nothing fancy just basic good clean accommodation at an affordable price  :thumleft: lots of bush clearing around the parkhome has taken place and i will put in more lawn and fencing so people can bring their stoepkakkers as well.  :biggrin: people are also welcome to bring their horses by prior arrangement, have 2 spare stables  :deal:

Offline halfjob

• Race Dog
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 01:08:06 pm »
Riding the trails, we found the tracks of a huge animal, but no droppings or actual sightings of the beast...
lesser spotted halfjob known to roam aimlessly in the area looking for something to drink  :imaposer: maybe baboon? some biggies up there  :deal: we have leopard as well, seen a mother with 2 cubs last year  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:09:26 pm by halfjob »

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 01:18:47 pm »
lesser spotted halfjob known to roam aimlessly in the area looking for something to drink  :imaposer: maybe baboon? some biggies up there  :deal: we have leopard as well, seen a mother with 2 cubs last year  :thumleft:

:imaposer: sorry that was tongue in cheek, the animal I am referring to is known as the lesser spotted train  :imaposer:

(do they still use the tracks?  wife was quite worried while we were riding on the tracks  :big grin: )

Next time I will bring hiking shoes as well.

Offline halfjob

• Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 01:34:12 pm »
 :imaposer: :imaposer: ah ok i get it now, yes the tracks are used VERY often sometimes up to 4 times a day  :o out of interest it is apparently the steepest gradient in africa  ??? any learned dogs out there that can verify? the only kak is the train starts fires in summer like you cant believe  :xxbah: was fighting one late yesterday  >:( still need to get the schedule from transnet to plan a run through to Grabouw  >:D

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 01:39:01 pm »
:imaposer: :imaposer: ah ok i get it now, yes the tracks are used VERY often sometimes up to 4 times a day  :o out of interest it is apparently the steepest gradient in africa  ??? any learned dogs out there that can verify? the only kak is the train starts fires in summer like you cant believe  :xxbah: was fighting one late yesterday  >:( still need to get the schedule from transnet to plan a run through to Grabouw  >:D

Do not let my wife see this  :o

She asked about the train, I said "nee my skat, kyk daar is roes op die spore, ek is seker dit word baie min gebruik"

Would love to take a run through to Grabouw.

Offline halfjob

• Race Dog
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 01:44:33 pm »
 :o :o mums the word  :laughing4:

Offline ahlbebuck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • G450X, CRF450R, XR200R
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 02:26:39 pm »
When I developed Wedderwil, there were some nasty accidents on that railway line.

Lovely piece of land you have there Halfjob! Never knew there was bass in that dam!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!

Offline Marvin

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 07:37:33 pm »
I must say I'm excited for my turn!
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R (Current)
2012 Honda XR650L (Current)
2006 KDX 200 (Sold)
2003 NXR 125 ES (Dead)