Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW Motorrad Clearwater attempted rip off!!! (Updated 01 Nov)  (Read 16252 times)

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: BMW Motorrad Clearwater attempted rip off!!!
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2014, 06:01:32 am »
Obvious from this thread that the dealers are a LOT more likely to pick up potential problems than the "generic" guy. :imaposer:

Of course.  This thread is discussing a specific dealership and then bikes specifically.  My bakkie is serviced by a "generic guy" and my bike by a dealer.  One of the reasons I trust both is because they do the same.  The go through it, do the service, then call me with a quote of extra work that may be required.  We discuss and decide.  It is, imho, part of excellent service rather than good or average service. 

I have also had run-ins with dealers (Opel and Colt) in the past, but then, so did I with a "generic guy". 

#33 #BRADICAL!

Online Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2014, 07:10:37 am »
I find it interesting that PietereER, in his original post compares the BMW quote, with brand new warranteed parts to his final cost for some of the parts second hand from Acme.

That's like bitching about the price of a new toothbrush, because you can find a good second hand one for free in your neighbours garbage!  :pot:
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Online 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2014, 07:23:12 am »
What I find interesting is that there are a number of guys defending a R39000 quote for what is essentially failed wheelbearings.

I do not read the OP as comparing 2nd hand parts to new ones, simply stating how , with some savvy, you can rectify a problem without throwing the bank at it.

In this case , PieterER , had the necessary knowledge to be able to take another option. What about the guy/girl who is 100% dependant upon what a dealer tells them?

Should we ever completely trust anyone who has at their own interest the increased selling of parts and/or labour hours?

I will, within safety limits, try and get a client the maximum life out of a part. This is not only important in keeping maintenance cost down, but also curbs the huge consumerism that flows from replacing parts too early.

Woefully I lose a lot of money through this lack of "pushing services", but so be it.

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2014, 07:32:43 am »
I do not read the OP as comparing 2nd hand parts to new ones, simply stating how , with some savvy, you can rectify a problem without throwing the bank at it.

Indeed.  True for us all, for all types of products.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2014, 07:34:31 am »

Indeed.  True for us all, for all types of products.

All types of products. Absolutely.

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2014, 07:36:58 am »
All types of products. Absolutely.

I was recently quoted almost R5k to overhaul a lawnmower.  I bought a 2nd hand one from a neighbor for R1k.  It happens.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2014, 07:44:37 am »
In the case of Clearwater, of course a dealership would never fit a 2nd hand hub, etc, and that I understand 100%.

It is up to each one of us to look out for our own pockets. The only goal of big business is the maximised cash transfer from your wallet to theirs.

With this I am not saying that they will not give you good service, they may be excellent, but looking at dealership profit targets, and in some cases incentive bonuses designed
to maximise profits , a dealer will always be an expensive option.

But if you are a captive client, like most, you can not do anything but pay.

I will not even go to the issue of ultra-modern buildings and facilities. >:D

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2014, 07:45:27 am »
I've been following this with interest and yet again am fascinated with the responses. Extract from the OP:

on Thursday late afternoon I get a call to tell me they have prepared a quote. I am told “to come and discuss the quote

... I am told this is the “worst case scenario” and they don’t have to do all the work immediately but that I must come and discuss it.

I for one will never set foot inside a BMW Motorrad Dealers’ Service Centre again

With respect, I sincerely hope that you are never my client  :deal:

Online Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2014, 08:00:34 am »
I've been following this with interest and yet again am fascinated with the responses. Extract from the OP:

on Thursday late afternoon I get a call to tell me they have prepared a quote. I am told “to come and discuss the quote

... I am told this is the “worst case scenario” and they don’t have to do all the work immediately but that I must come and discuss it.

I for one will never set foot inside a BMW Motorrad Dealers’ Service Centre again

Agree here 100%!  :thumleft:
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline lecap

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2014, 08:14:14 am »

But my question to all the Jugheads, Le Caps's, and other guys in the bike repair/service business:  Would you guys have accepted the quote from the OP if this was your bike? 

Again:
The dealer quoted for repair and replacement of everything they found wrong on the bike.

From this point it was up to the customer to speak to the workshop manager and decide which part of the quote should be scrapped and which jobs should be done or to go to another place all together.

And again: As long as the workshop did not quote for repair or replacement of anything which was not damaged or worn beyond its service limit and as long as the workshop does not charge for something and not do it I fail to see a rip off.

It would actually be very nice to see a copy of the quote in question. Surely it's not classified ???
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2014, 08:25:23 am »
It would actually be very nice to see a copy of the quote in question. Surely it's not classified ???

I doubt that the OP have it available.  Remember, he did not go back and discuss.  He just fetched his bike.  It also seems, reading between the lines as the OP doesn't say, that he was not charged a quoting fee.

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Swannie 685

« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2014, 08:32:25 am »
@ 2StrokeDan

"Woefully I lose a lot of money through this lack of "pushing services", but so be it."

No, you won`t lose money, cos customers like me appreciate your attitude and will always come back to you, PLUS your current customers will tell their friends too - free advertisement in this case.  :thumleft:
Wanneer ek iets wil herstel, is dit heeltemal gef*k daarna.

Vorige bikes: Suzuki 50cc, Yamaha 185,Honda 250,Kawasaki Z650, Kawasaki Z1000, Honda CB900F en Suzuki DR500. Tans Kawasaki KLR 685

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2014, 03:18:49 pm »

Agreed.  Unless you have tons of cash   >:D
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2014, 05:08:44 pm »

If I was the DP for Clearwater I would be consulting my lawyer at this stage regarding an ungrounded social media attack on my dealership and it's reputation.

But some people are nicer than me :thumleft:

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2014, 05:31:18 pm »

If I was the DP for Clearwater I would be consulting my lawyer at this stage regarding an ungrounded social media attack on my dealership and it's reputation.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2014, 05:35:22 pm »

Agree here 100%!  :thumleft:

Agree here 100%!  :thumleft:

Jy voel redelik sterk daaroor  :o

Maar ek stem saam.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:36:03 pm by Garfield »

Offline JVR

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2014, 06:22:38 pm »

Ek stem 100% saam......die is n gehuil oor kak.
Niemand is gedwing om die quote te aanvaar nie!
Ek werk al meer as 25 jaar met kliente........n ligte fender bender voor en drie maande later kom kak en kerm hy oor rattle agter.
Ek quote my kliente vir als wat ek dink hy het nodig......dit word dan bespreek en hy kies wat se dekking hy wil he en teken dan daarvoor.
Dit is mos nou eintlik fokken maklik.
Life's not short,it is the longest thing you'll ever do.

Online VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2014, 06:35:02 pm »

Ek werk al meer as 25 jaar met kliente........n ligte fender bender voor en drie maande later kom kak en kerm hy oor rattle agter.
Ek quote my kliente vir als wat ek dink hy het nodig......dit word dan bespreek en hy kies wat se dekking hy wil he en teken dan daarvoor.

Nou begin dit rigting kry  :thumleft:
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8
2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet

Offline Malmoer

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Either i find a way or I will make one!!
Re:
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2014, 06:44:07 pm »
Terwyl almal warm en koud geraak het in die kraag het ek besluit om na my 800 se bearings te kyk. Voor het ek so 2500km terug vervang. Nou ek wil net se dat as daar een ding is wat die draad gedoen het vir my is dit sommer n klomp geld te spaar. Een van die 3 bearings was vas. Die skade wat die oorsprong was van die draad sou my ook getref het. So dankie aan almal wat deel geneem het. Ek sou anders dit dalk nie gaan inspekteer het nie. Gelukkig het ek spaar bearings want hulle is nie duur nie. Thx julle.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit...... WHAT A RIDE"!!!!!!!

2011 F800gs (Current)
2007 G650 x challenge (Crashed!!!)
2008 YZ250wr (Sold)

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2014, 06:50:59 pm »

So fokken maklik dt hy 3 maande later kom kerm oor daai rattle? :pot: