Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW Motorrad Clearwater attempted rip off!!! (Updated 01 Nov)  (Read 16247 times)

Online 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
Re: BMW Motorrad Clearwater attempted rip off!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 06:05:14 pm »
 :ricky:

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 06:08:29 pm »
Die bliksems!

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 06:10:25 pm »
Daarom is ek ook klaar met BMW.
Daai Justin is die enigste ORDENTELIKE BMW man wat die laaste tyd aan my BMW gewerk het voordat ek hom verkoop het.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Gravel Man

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 07:22:45 pm »
There is all ways two side to a story. I charge a fair price for the work I do and still I get customesr that won`t pay their bills is full or try to short change me. Customers need to learn that a decent service works both ways. If you receive decent service at a fair price, then be decent and pay your account. Rant off.

Offline Chairman Meow

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 07:58:59 pm »
I do find it ironic that us proud owners of the Airhead generations of models, the legends that build the brand way before Ewan & Charley decided to go get everything for free and travel the globe, never set foot in these dealerships......at least not for parts or service from these overinflated dick swinging fat cats. :P

Ironically enough that these days they want to get behind any revival associated with the brand, whether it be the CR custom scene or the G/S classic range............yet does not care to stock the parts and still think it's ok to charge R180 for spark plugs.

:biggrin:....then again how does that saying go..." A fool and his money ......

Online eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 08:25:32 pm »
@Chairman Meow. I agree with you. But then again, we type that wrote the book were of a different stock, the bikes were still bikes, not USS Enterprises. We spoke actual specks with the mechanics, not the theories stated in the sales manual. We actually worked on our bikes and did true and wonderful home improvements that brought compliments and admiration from the dealer principle. Not chide and warnings that your warrantee will no longer be valid. The mechs knew that we knew and were thus shy to take shortcuts or do shoddy work. We exchanged information and everybody learnt. Was not on a need-to-know-basis and the workshop was accessible. No secrets were kept. The dealer also knew that we could source most of the parts elsewhere and was always approachable and a plan could be made. Things were less in the clouds and far more hands-on. This all have largely fallen away now, but they have the audacity to claim it their own, to trade mark it and sell it.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Chairman Meow

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 08:39:29 pm »
@Chairman Meow. I agree with you. But then again, we type that wrote the book were of a different stock, the bikes were still bikes, not USS Enterprises. We spoke actual specks with the mechanics, not the theories stated in the sales manual. We actually worked on our bikes and did true and wonderful home improvements that brought compliments and admiration from the dealer principle. Not chide and warnings that your warrantee will no longer be valid. The mechs knew that we knew and were thus shy to take shortcuts or do shoddy work. We exchanged information and everybody learnt. Was not on a need-to-know-basis and the workshop was accessible. No secrets were kept.

The dealer also knew that we could can source most all of the parts elsewhere and was we're always approachable and a plan could can always be made. Things were are less in the clouds and far more hands-on.

This all have largely fallen away now, but they have the audacity to claim it their own, to trade mark it and sell it.

....and that is why we don't need them.  :ricky:

(R39 000... :imaposer:)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:44:17 pm by Chairman Meow »

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 08:52:45 pm »
How many BMW riders get caught this way?

Can someone start a pole? :biggrin:

Offline JMG

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Miss my orange bike!
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 09:12:26 pm »
Funny how every time there's a BM complaint its Clearwater. Must be something in the water
Honda XR 650L, Royal Enfield 500 classic, TVS APACHE 180, Ktm 640 adventure R, Yamaha XT250.

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 09:24:24 pm »
Funny how every time there's a BM complaint its Clearwater. Must be something in the water

Clearly  :lol8:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline McBiker

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 10:16:36 pm »
Rear wheel bearing failure .... why was a whole wheel needed???

This happened to my 800GS too.  The bearings fail and the bearing housings get chewed up. New hub, re-spoke etc, alternatively just a 2nd hand complete wheel. This was the route I took, also bought a 2nd hand wheel complete from ACME. Did the bearings myself and as good as new again.

Offline knightrat

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 10:26:30 pm »
Yoh that is heavy.. but if I understand correctly the guys at ACME also had to change the hub? So Clearwater didn't try rip you off there? Did the brake disc scrape and foul as part of the failure? Were your crush drive bushes worn? How many km's have you done? Remember and dealership can only supply new parts, if there is damage to the part it's their duty to point it out and quote a replacement. Can you imagine the pages of trolling and complaints if they let you ride out and something failed a block down the road after repairing your bearings only and not mentioning anything else? I don't really see what they did wrong? They knew the quote was heavy and they gave you the opportunity to go for a cheaper option?  ???

Offline Sommer Ek

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 12:05:30 am »
Ek lei af dat die fiets nog 'n ent gery het met 'n stukkende bearing. Baie dankie aan BMW se ontwerp span dat die fiets nie langs die pad en die ryer in die hospitaal gele het nie.

Die fiets is in geneem om die oorsaak te bepaal en dit reg te stel, in hierdie geval die bearings te vervang. Baie dankie Clearwater dat julle nie met oogklappe deur die lewe gaan nie en die ander probleme geidentifiseer het en sommer ook daarop gekwoteer het sonder dat daarvoor gevra of betaal is.

Baie dankie BMW dat julle op nuwe onderdele kwoteer, dit is wat ek verwag tesame met die waarborge. Ek wil gemoedsrus he as ek sy bene so bietjie rek. (Baie allergies vir lekplekke op my lyf).

Die vraag is; Waarom het die bearing gegaan. Is die fiets jaarliks gediens, hoeveel Km het dit op, hoe lyk die paaie wat gery is, is "highpressure water washers" gebruik.  Met hoeveel ander het dit gebeur en op watter km's. Hoe kan ons seker maak dat so iets homself nie herhaal nie.

Die ou spreekwoord is gewoonlik naby aan waar: "You get what you pay for."

Online VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 12:30:16 am »
 ;)
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8
2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet

Online Wild Woody

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life is a Journey, Enjoy the Ride........
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 07:22:59 am »
Ek lei af dat die fiets nog 'n ent gery het met 'n stukkende bearing. Baie dankie aan BMW se ontwerp span dat die fiets nie langs die pad en die ryer in die hospitaal gele het nie.

Die fiets is in geneem om die oorsaak te bepaal en dit reg te stel, in hierdie geval die bearings te vervang. Baie dankie Clearwater dat julle nie met oogklappe deur die lewe gaan nie en die ander probleme geidentifiseer het en sommer ook daarop gekwoteer het sonder dat daarvoor gevra of betaal is.

Baie dankie BMW dat julle op nuwe onderdele kwoteer, dit is wat ek verwag tesame met die waarborge. Ek wil gemoedsrus he as ek sy bene so bietjie rek. (Baie allergies vir lekplekke op my lyf).

Die vraag is; Waarom het die bearing gegaan. Is die fiets jaarliks gediens, hoeveel Km het dit op, hoe lyk die paaie wat gery is, is "highpressure water washers" gebruik.  Met hoeveel ander het dit gebeur en op watter km's. Hoe kan ons seker maak dat so iets homself nie herhaal nie.

My 2c how many riders really know their Bikes and each models idiosyncrasies. on the 800 gs the following is common knowledge, this helps save the big bucks when its too late, if your bike is out of the warranty

Back brake pads 12 - 15 k (In Between service change  10 min job)
 Rear wheel bearings average life 30k, simple change them yourself.
 Back disc life 40k, simple change it yourself
 Headset bearings 15 - 20 k , a bigger job, I get BMW to do mine
 Fork seals check them constantly
Chain and sprockets 25k,  simple change them yourself

For me prevention is better than the cure
"No Politics, No Religion..... Be Humble and treat everyone with Dignity and Respect"

Honda Xl 250; BMW650GS Dakar; BMW F800GSA

Offline HermanH

• Bike: Italjet (all models)
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 07:43:29 am »
Yoh that is heavy.. but if I understand correctly the guys at ACME also had to change the hub? So Clearwater didn't try rip you off there? Did the brake disc scrape and foul as part of the failure? Were your crush drive bushes worn? How many km's have you done? Remember and dealership can only supply new parts, if there is damage to the part it's their duty to point it out and quote a replacement. Can you imagine the pages of trolling and complaints if they let you ride out and something failed a block down the road after repairing your bearings only and not mentioning anything else? I don't really see what they did wrong? They knew the quote was heavy and they gave you the opportunity to go for a cheaper option?  ???

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 07:54:36 am »
Cannot see a rip off. The guys quoted you--- you did not like or accept their quote. Its so simple-- it's a free country.

If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Online VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2014, 08:10:02 am »
Cannot see a rip off. The guys quoted you--- you did not like or accept their quote. Its so simple-- it's a free country.

Wat ek ook gereken het - Dit is baie, maar die keuse is mos joune om te laat doen wat jy nie self kan doen nie. Wat ek wel weet is dat daar nie baie ryers wat regtig self aan hulle fietse kan werk nie en dis hulle wat so uitgebyt word. Dan glo hulle ook net aan die dealers , want die boek sÍ so.

Dan is daar die soos ek, wat dit self probeer, 99% regkry en die ott keer die skoolgeld moet betaal............ :dousing:

Vir my is daar niks so lekker om enige iemand se kwotasie te probeer beat nie en dan die kennis te bÍre vir die toekoms  :thumleft:
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8
2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2014, 08:17:54 am »

It is not a rip-off, ONLY because the bike owner did not accept the quote. Did he say yes, some parts would have been replaced in dishonesty.

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2014, 08:21:10 am »
Was daar 'n moontlike versekering eis betrokke?
Dan gaan enige plek gewoonlik ballisties om elke denkbare part te vervang.