Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW Motorrad Clearwater attempted rip off!!! (Updated 01 Nov)  (Read 16255 times)

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
Re: BMW Motorrad Clearwater attempted rip off!!!
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 08:23:10 am »
Cannot see a rip off. The guys quoted you--- you did not like or accept their quote. Its so simple-- it's a free country.

It is not a rip-off, ONLY because the bike owner did not accept the quote. Did he say yes, some parts would have been replaced in dishonesty.

Sooo Pick n Pay coffee is a rip off because it is  R10 more expensive than Checkers? Quote asked , quote given. Take it or leave it.
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 08:24:16 am »
Was daar 'n moontlike versekering eis betrokke?
Dan gaan enige plek gewoonlik ballisties om elke denkbare part te vervang.

Twyfel..............dis nie botsing nie.

Eerder 'n wear-and-tear (slytasie) part.............geen versekering dek dit nie.

Online Ortos

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • "Ride to Ride another day"
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 08:30:38 am »
.........and that is why I ride an antiquated Africa Twin - Cable ties, duct tape and its simplicity make it a pleasure!

Have to agree though - it was a quote and ultimately its your choice to accept it or laugh it off!
- Some people are like clouds, once they fuck-off it turns into a
  beautiful day!

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 09:30:35 am »
I feel for you BMW people!

I rebuilt my KTM's wheels the other day. I ended up reusing my old hubs but a top quality replacement hub only costs $120.
SS spokes, $55.

Life is good  ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:37:22 am by dirtWarp »

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 10:10:05 am »
Rip-off is maybe not the right word, but definitely not total honesty from BMW.   :-[

In the end it was proven that a lot of items quoted did not need replacement.  There are people that does not know the difference between a spanner and a koevoet, and those people would have fallen for it and unnecessarily paid much more than needed.

One should be able to trust your dealer, which should also have their customer's interest at heart.

If force does not help, you are not using enough...

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 10:16:53 am »
let me say that i believe that the dealer is not dishonest - but 10-2-1 they have complete idiots that work for them

bearing rear wheel - search on computer

found

it is attached to this hub thing - add to quote
it is attached to this wheel thing - add to quote
etc
etc
etc

the complete idiots employed by dealers astound me - they might not be dishonest they just dont know any better

i was looking for a part the one day - for a nissin brake caliper - so go to honda as i know the 1 honda used the same nissin caliper - but i did not have a vin number

because i did not have a vin number the guy wanted to know what bike this is for - i said its for a triumph he said sorry they only sell honda parts and i should try the chinese motorcycle spares shop down the road  ::)

so i said @#$@#$ honda tygerberg they dont want to help, they dont want to make a sale so i'll order whatever i need from ebay

Offline Pieter ER

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 11:56:14 am »
Hi guys, jeez lots of reaction and interesting comments. As I mentioned in my heading I called it an attempted rip off, since I did not accept the quote I can't say they did rip me off. I really just wanted to share my experience and find it amazing that I could get the bike back on the road for about a 10th of what BMW wanted to charge. The majority of the cost was for the main issue identified i.e. the rear bearings that failed and damaged the hub.

The bike has about 37,000 km on the clock. I would also suggest that if you have an F800GS to get the rear bearings checked and/or replaced at around 30,000 km to save you the cost later on.

Anyway, lesson learned.

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Niks ry so lekker soos my rice crispy bike nie.
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 12:01:43 pm »
let me say that i believe that the dealer is not dishonest - but 10-2-1 they have complete idiots that work for them

bearing rear wheel - search on computer

found

it is attached to this hub thing - add to quote
it is attached to this wheel thing - add to quote
etc
etc
etc

the complete idiots employed by dealers astound me - they might not be dishonest they just dont know any better

i was looking for a part the one day - for a nissin brake caliper - so go to honda as i know the 1 honda used the same nissin caliper - but i did not have a vin number

because i did not have a vin number the guy wanted to know what bike this is for - i said its for a triumph he said sorry they only sell honda parts and i should try the chinese motorcycle spares shop down the road  ::)

so i said @#$@#$ honda tygerberg they dont want to help, they dont want to make a sale so i'll order whatever i need from ebay

There is your problem.

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 12:38:03 pm »
most times when BMW quotes, they look the bike over and see what else they can quote for at the same time.
The discussion is to go through the quote with you and convince you that you need to fork out and fix those other bits while you at it.

They want to make money and they see an open invite through quoting on other bits not relevant to your problem at hand.
More than likely if you take the non essentials out the quote, you sit with a R4500 quote as well.

>:D
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 12:56:43 pm »
It's not an attempted ripoff!!  It's called covering your ass!

I replaced a drive shaft on a 1200GS recently.  The front UJ had let go and chewed up a small area of the swingarm as well as the front rubber boot.  IMO the rear boot was fine and didn't need replacing.  So my quote was for the shaft, rubber boot, and labour to fit a repair the damage on the swingarm.

When the client came to collect he was mightily pissed off because the rear boot had not also been replaced.

Had I included it on the original quote, it would have been ordered, arrived and fitted at the same time as all the other parts.   I now have to place a new order for the rear boot, wait 3 days for it to arrive while his mothership occupies valuable workshop space, and repeat a good deal of the labour to fit the shaft, which, I might add, had to be done at my expense since I was a moron and didn't do it the first time round.

Yesterday I am reassembling another 1200GS that needed new gearbox bearings.  During the reassembly I notice the torsion bar is badly bent. 

This torsion bar was completely acceptable to the client!  Go figure!!.

So I notify the client that I will be replacing it at cost, since it wasn't part of the original quote.  Client hits the roof saying that he and only he will decide what needs to be replaced on his bike and when it will be done.

So, to the OP.  Because something displeases you, doesn't mean someone is trying to rip you off.  You were given the benefit of choosing what you wanted done.  You were given all the options and all the information.  Nothing was hidden from you and what was done to your bike in the end was entirely your choice.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Online Noneking

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 01:09:12 pm »
It's not an attempted ripoff!!  It's called covering your ass!

I replaced a drive shaft on a 1200GS recently.  The front UJ had let go and chewed up a small area of the swingarm as well as the front rubber boot.  IMO the rear boot was fine and didn't need replacing.  So my quote was for the shaft, rubber boot, and labour to fit a repair the damage on the swingarm.

When the client came to collect he was mightily pissed off because the rear boot had not also been replaced.

Had I included it on the original quote, it would have been ordered, arrived and fitted at the same time as all the other parts.   I now have to place a new order for the rear boot, wait 3 days for it to arrive while his mothership occupies valuable workshop space, and repeat a good deal of the labour to fit the shaft, which, I might add, had to be done at my expense since I was a moron and didn't do it the first time round.

Yesterday I am reassembling another 1200GS that needed new gearbox bearings.  During the reassembly I notice the torsion bar is badly bent. 

This torsion bar was completely acceptable to the client!  Go figure!!.

So I notify the client that I will be replacing it at cost, since it wasn't part of the original quote.  Client hits the roof saying that he and only he will decide what needs to be replaced on his bike and when it will be done.

So, to the OP.  Because something displeases you, doesn't mean someone is trying to rip you off.  You were given the benefit of choosing what you wanted done.  You were given all the options and all the information.  Nothing was hidden from you and what was done to your bike in the end was entirely your choice.

And at last someone talks a bit of sense.....
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2014, 01:10:02 pm »
Cannot see a rip off. The guys quoted you--- you did not like or accept their quote. Its so simple-- it's a free country.

It is not a rip-off, ONLY because the bike owner did not accept the quote. Did he say yes, some parts would have been replaced in dishonesty.

Sooo Pick n Pay coffee is a rip off because it is  R10 more expensive than Checkers? Quote asked , quote given. Take it or leave it.

Kobus, please read the OP carefully, BMW Clearwater quoted for a lot of parts to be replaced, which was afterwards checked and found to be fine. So, if this BMW client gave the go-ahead, which most would have, then a lot of expensive and serviceable parts would have been replaced to ONLY the dealer's advantage.

Pick'nPay example not workable here.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2014, 01:10:31 pm »
Interesting info I find on the net. Apparently KTM 950 uses same rim and bearings as BMW F800GS. (Behr) So in a pinch there is that i guess.
My thoughts are if you are in for the long-haul.  Get some Excell rims with new better quality bearings on or before R30K perhaps?  Expensive but then you are sorted?

What about torques?'
people removed rims to fit other tyres and things like that... if non correct torque settings are used I'm sure that could lead to early bearing failures as well?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:12:25 pm by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline EtienneKLR

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2014, 01:32:55 pm »
Well, no comment about the quote but it is a boat load of money. Wheelbearings are one of the most critical safety items on a bike. Depending on how and where you use your bike they could last forever. On my enduro bike I regularly replace worn bearings because of the terrain we ride. Sand, water, mud and rocks. Sometimes they only last for about 30 hrs of riding. It is inevitable that dirt and water gets behind the seals even more so if you pressure wash your bike. So if you use the bike for offroad excursion check the bearings before and after every ride. It is cheap to replace and can save a lot of hassle.

At the tender age of 19 my roadbike's front wheelbearings seized solid locking the front wheel. Got chucked over the bars and walked away with a broken collarbone and two broken arms.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2014, 01:36:56 pm »
The OP did get a chance to accept or refuse this quotation. This is correct.

Had he accepted this quote, a lot of parts OK'd afterwards by someone else, would have been replaced UNNECESSARY.

This is a great example of the dealer looking at maximising business and profits at the expense of a customer.

It is actually sorry this happened at a BMW dealer, because most now just assume I am ranting against them. Of course, any dealer would have been equally dishonest
in a similar incident.

Offline Malmoer

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Either i find a way or I will make one!!
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »
I requested a quote from our "local" BMW dealer for a chain and sprocket set. Fitment will be done at home (No biggie)
Quoted price: R3881.70 I mean ???
Trackmac: Paid R1680.
Funny enough same chain hugely different price.

The prices is just to much for the normal person and i.m.o it is also where most bikes are owned. Not by the rich guys.

Do not try and rip me of with the price. I do shop around and negotiate for a better price.!! Once bitten se gat. I do not like to be bitten :ricky:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit...... WHAT A RIDE"!!!!!!!

2011 F800gs (Current)
2007 G650 x challenge (Crashed!!!)
2008 YZ250wr (Sold)

Offline Jughead

• Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2014, 02:08:21 pm »
The problem is that should something like the brake pads need replacing soon, they would have been a bunch of wankers for not noticing it and doing something about it.

As the photo in my previous post clearly shows, the part clearly, IMHO, needs to be replaced. Yet, the owner doesn't think so.

I have a 650 in the shop at the moment with a burst water pipe. While working on it I see a drop of oil on the floor near the front wheel. On investigation, I find the left front fork leaking so badly it's dripping oil not only on the floor but all over the front brake caliper and pads.

So, let's get some miserly, penny pinching WD opinions.  Bearing in mind it has absolutely nothing to do with the original problem, do I notify the client and quote him to repair, or do I mind my own business and let him kill himself because he doesn't have brakes.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2014, 02:44:34 pm »
The problem is that should something like the brake pads need replacing soon, they would have been a bunch of wankers for not noticing it and doing something about it.

As the photo in my previous post clearly shows, the part clearly, IMHO, needs to be replaced. Yet, the owner doesn't think so.

I have a 650 in the shop at the moment with a burst water pipe. While working on it I see a drop of oil on the floor near the front wheel. On investigation, I find the left front fork leaking so badly it's dripping oil not only on the floor but all over the front brake caliper and pads.

So, let's get some miserly, penny pinching WD opinions.  Bearing in mind it has absolutely nothing to do with the original problem, do I notify the client and quote him to repair, or do I mind my own business and let him kill himself because he doesn't have brakes.

I'd like a a headsup of the issue and a quote on if you do the job as well in a phone call up front.
"Hi there it's Jughead from Bikeshop, while checking out your water pipe I noticed some oil, have you noticed it?  It's your front forks, if we do it it will be Rxxxx. We can go ahead if you like otherwise we will do the pump only."

The owner can then decide if he wants it done, it gives him time to phone around before he actually comes and collects the bike or whatever.

I find in my experience dealers / service centers / shops almost NEVER phone the client up front. it's always me phoning them... there are exceptions but mostly this is my experience.

So yeah, id like it if you let me know of the issue and how much. Then I can decide, same as the OP, if i want to do some phoning around, some Googling and decide if it's worth my while to have you do it. I would imagine everyone would want such a headsup.

I will pay more to an extent of course if I know something will be done right the first time and I'm getting honest advice.
The shops are there because they need/want to  make money and thats the line of business they decided to go into, they are not doing me any favors. If you want to do me favors, hell i'll be telling everyone about said shop.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:47:46 pm by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Jughead

• Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2014, 03:10:57 pm »

I'd like a a headsup of the issue and a quote on if you do the job as well in a phone call up front.
"Hi there it's Jughead from Bikeshop, while checking out your water pipe I noticed some oil, have you noticed it?  It's your front forks, if we do it it will be Rxxxx. We can go ahead if you like otherwise we will do the pump only."

The owner can then decide if he wants it done, it gives him time to phone around before he actually comes and collects the bike or whatever.

Excuse me if I'm missing something.  Is that not exactly what the dealership is question did?

Yet, they are still being painted as trying to rip the OP off!!!   ???
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:18:31 pm by Jughead »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2014, 03:18:37 pm »

Yes, Jughead, it is in fact your duty to notify the owner of this fork leaking oil, but what you do next is where the difference lies.
Do you; 1. Give a quotation with reasonable pricing, ideally around what your competition in your industry would charge, or 2. do you, like Clearwater, quote for new forkseals,
oil and consumables, AND also for new fork stanchions and sliders?? Just in case, you know. >:D