Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW Motorrad Clearwater attempted rip off!!! (Updated 01 Nov)  (Read 16325 times)

Offline Malmoer

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Either i find a way or I will make one!!
Re: BMW Motorrad Clearwater attempted rip off!!!
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2014, 03:24:50 pm »
For once i agree with you 2SD
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit...... WHAT A RIDE"!!!!!!!

2011 F800gs (Current)
2007 G650 x challenge (Crashed!!!)
2008 YZ250wr (Sold)

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2014, 03:25:48 pm »
I had the back brakes and discs, chain, sprockets etc. checked and they are all fine. I also had the front brake discs and pads and bearings checked and they are fine as well.
That's what the OP is on about... the stuff that was apparently unnecessary. However, seeing as we were not there, we cannot say whether the eagle-eyed Dealer noticed some fine detail that was amiss..

..., do I notify the client and quote him to repair, or do I mind my own business and let him kill himself because he doesn't have brakes.

You just do what you do best, like when you phone me and tell me there is a problem, and voila we agree and you do it...

And a good stern lecture to the twit who wants to ride with a bent link... tell him how to respect others, even if he has no respect for himself. Shouting and swearing is the sign of a very small man with a very big problem. You don't need them as customers.

Anyway, you can chalk up these instances to experience, and use them to your advantage in pre-empting future vloermoere from kakst.. customers
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »
I see this type of malpractice regularly, where a distraught person would phone me and tell me how their car is in for a service with dealerX, and this dealer has just phoned her/him to tell her that her car needs new disc brake rotors, and it will cost R3500 per side.
The owner then brings the car to me to double-check, and guess what? Hardly measurable wear in some cases.

The question is this; do the mechanic suggest replacement and take the good parts home for his "private" customers, or does the workshop manager boost part sales in this way?

Or both?

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2014, 03:44:59 pm »
The problem is that should something like the brake pads need replacing soon, they would have been a bunch of wankers for not noticing it and doing something about it.

As the photo in my previous post clearly shows, the part clearly, IMHO, needs to be replaced. Yet, the owner doesn't think so.

I have a 650 in the shop at the moment with a burst water pipe. While working on it I see a drop of oil on the floor near the front wheel. On investigation, I find the left front fork leaking so badly it's dripping oil not only on the floor but all over the front brake caliper and pads.

So, let's get some miserly, penny pinching WD opinions.  Bearing in mind it has absolutely nothing to do with the original problem, do I notify the client and quote him to repair, or do I mind my own business and let him kill himself because he doesn't have brakes.

I'd like a a headsup of the issue and a quote on if you do the job as well in a phone call up front.
"Hi there it's Jughead from Bikeshop, while checking out your water pipe I noticed some oil, have you noticed it?  It's your front forks, if we do it it will be Rxxxx. We can go ahead if you like otherwise we will do the pump only."

The owner can then decide if he wants it done, it gives him time to phone around before he actually comes and collects the bike or whatever.

Excuse me if I'm missing something.  Is that not exactly what the dealership is question did?

Yet, they are still being painted as trying to rip the OP off!!!   ???

I think we have a miss posting or something. You only asked what would a customer want. I told you what I would want if I'm a customer. I didn't argue for or against the OP  :biggrin:  it was just for your information.

1.) I agree the "tried to rip me off" is a bit harsh. They gave their price..it was too much, the OPgot it sorted somewhere else... no problem.
2.) The part that is concerning to most is the parts where they a.) have inflated prices by a big margin and b.) quoted for the job for things that was not damaged and I think this is where the big deal comes in and why the OP feels "almost ripped off".
From his post I also get the feeling it was an all or nothing thing. "To fix this issue will cost you R39K" not "We feel you should replace parts X,Y, Z as they may have sustained damage and this will cost R39K, however, these are the parts we have to replace as its completely fubar and this will cost you R7000. Please do understand that if we don't replace parts J,K,L and they fail we cannot be held responsible for the workmanship if those indeed did cause the subsequent failure."

But I understand that like someone else mentioned it is probably because they dont want a lawsuit or something for when the guy rides out and one of the other components fail. imho that is not a good argument. It should be quite clear if something is damaged or not

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:50:35 pm by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Online silvrav

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2014, 03:46:03 pm »
I see this type of malpractice regularly, where a distraught person would phone me and tell me how their car is in for a service with dealerX, and this dealer has just phoned her/him to tell her that her car needs new disc brake rotors, and it will cost R3500 per side.
The owner then brings the car to me to double-check, and guess what? Hardly measurable wear in some cases.

The question is this; do the mechanic suggest replacement and take the good parts home for his "private" customers, or does the workshop manager boost part sales in this way?

Or both?

bit of both i would say...

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2014, 03:49:13 pm »

That's what the OP is on about... the stuff that was apparently unnecessary.

Yip.  Like replacing this is also unnecessary!  What a rip-off I am!  And at cost!  Am I off my head??  It should be at least cost less 50.  I'm a WD after all.  I am entitled to a discount for talking shit on this forum!

I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2014, 03:52:50 pm »
If I serviced my bike by you I would say. "HOLY CRAP, thanks for spotting that could you please quote me on a repair" :)
If you charged me R39K for a new piece or to straighten it  I would maybe also ask "Where is the camera hidden?" :)

I would also add...I think everyone knows a service center / dealership is in the business of making profit. I certainly understand that.
It's just some need to make a lot more turnover first before they can make a profit I guess.
Others again like making a huge profit.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:00:45 pm by Omninorm »
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2014, 04:04:10 pm »
@Pieter ER  What year is your F800GS?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2014, 04:43:47 pm »
Jughead, I think everyone would agree that it is necessary to replace that BMW arm you keep on flashing on here.

The problem would be simil;ar to the Clearwater case if you quoted and suggested an arm transplant if the arm were not bent.

Offline Jughead

• Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2014, 04:50:39 pm »
Jughead, I think everyone would agree that it is necessary to replace that BMW arm you keep on flashing on here.

The problem would be simil;ar to the Clearwater case if you quoted and suggested an arm transplant if the arm were not bent.

2SD, the point I am trying to make is that while it is obvious to certain people that it needs replacing, the owner doesn't think so.

So, how many of the things Clearwater quoted for are "fine" from the owner's point of view, but are not actually?  It doesn't mean that because the owner "thinks" they are "fine" that Clearwater is trying to rip him off.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2014, 05:02:34 pm »

2SD, the point I am trying to make is that while it is obvious to certain people that it needs replacing, the owner doesn't think so.

So, how many of the things Clearwater quoted for are "fine" from the owner's point of view, but are not actually?  It doesn't mean that because the owner "thinks" they are "fine" that Clearwater is trying to rip him off.

The owner got a second opinion, who found that many of the quoted for parts were in order, and did not need replacement.
100% with you on client ignorance, in some cases.

Offline lecap

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2014, 07:38:38 am »
Good grief 70 replies and nothing but hot air (except Jughead who speaks sense).

BMW dealer quotes for everything that's wrong, worn thrashed or otherwise needs replacement. All new BMW parts, fitted by a qualified (hopefully) mechanic, with the usual 2 year warranty on non wear items.

The back yard mechanic is asked to fix it cheaply, only replaces what's dead necessary with second hand stuff.

First version the customer walks off with a bike like new and pays R40,000

Second version the customer walks off with one issue patched with second hand parts. Pays R5k

You can't call the BMW guys a rip off unless you can PROVE that they quoted for replacement of parts which did not need replacement or charged for stuff which was not done.
Who did make the assessment that work quoted for was unnecessary? The owner? Or just another guy who thinks he's a bike mechanic because he's got a hole in his bum ???

I'm probably also a total rip off because I just charged R8k for servicing a Dakar with less than 20,000km on the clock. Everyone can do a service on a Dakar at home with the tools from the Builders Warehouse, R 300 in parts & google how to do it ::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Jughead

• Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2014, 08:13:30 am »
And here's another one.  After the service on his Dakar, the owner is adamant that there is nothing wrong with this E-09.  The knobs are higher than 2mm so it's "fine".   :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2014, 08:22:27 am »
Good grief 70 replies and nothing but hot air (except Jughead who speaks sense).

BMW dealer quotes for everything that's wrong, worn thrashed or otherwise needs replacement. All new BMW parts, fitted by a qualified (hopefully) mechanic, with the usual 2 year warranty on non wear items.

The back yard mechanic is asked to fix it cheaply, only replaces what's dead necessary with second hand stuff.

First version the customer walks off with a bike like new and pays R40,000

Second version the customer walks off with one issue patched with second hand parts. Pays R5k

You can't call the BMW guys a rip off unless you can PROVE that they quoted for replacement of parts which did not need replacement or charged for stuff which was not done.
Who did make the assessment that work quoted for was unnecessary? The owner? Or just another guy who thinks he's a bike mechanic because he's got a hole in his bum ???

I'm probably also a total rip off because I just charged R8k for servicing a Dakar with less than 20,000km on the clock. Everyone can do a service on a Dakar at home with the tools from the Builders Warehouse, R 300 in parts & google how to do it ::)

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2014, 08:37:40 am »
Cannot see a rip off. The guys quoted you--- you did not like or accept their quote. Its so simple-- it's a free country.

It is not a rip-off, ONLY because the bike owner did not accept the quote. Did he say yes, some parts would have been replaced in dishonesty.
Really? Can you prove that, 2SD? Or is this just another opportunity for you to besmirch BMW and/or their dealers?

Offline Bensien

« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2014, 09:10:26 am »
I was at a Suzuki dealer this morning. There was a BMW that someone had brought to fix a wheel, because BMWs prices were outrageous.

BTW, I went to Suzuki to buy fork seals and steering head bearings. I thought the price was slightly more than I expected, until I realised that the quote included fitment, and it is actually  dirt cheap. 
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2014, 09:28:41 am »

I am sure that was R8K worth of real work on the bike that was needed, and I would have had no problem paying it.  I also have no problem if I was made aware of possible problems that I as the bike owner was not aware of.

But my question to all the Jugheads, Le Caps's, and other guys in the bike repair/service business:  Would you guys have accepted the quote from the OP if this was your bike? 

I think not. 

And the reason is that you have the knowledge to know what is really necessary to repair the bike into a safe condition.  Somebody not having that knowledge and relies on the dealership mechanic will really have forked out too much in this case. 

No-ones bike need to be kept in showroom condition for it's entire life e.g. if brake discs or other wear items are still over the minimum tolerance, why replace it?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:30:43 am by Sylvester »
If force does not help, you are not using enough...

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2014, 09:37:41 am »
No-ones bike need to be kept in showroom condition for it's entire life e.g. if brake discs or other wear items are still over the minimum tolerance, why replace it?

Agreed it does not need replacement.   Of course some dealers will do their best to get you to replace.  One of the unplanned consequences of the new Customer Protection Act is some dealers are really scared to work on older vehicles.  They replace only the wheel bearing.  Tomorrow the chain falls of and they are liable.  Not a good excuse in my opinion, but one that is being used.

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Alan

« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2014, 10:25:20 am »
I was at a Suzuki dealer this morning. There was a BMW that someone had brought to fix a wheel, because BMWs prices were outrageous.

BTW, I went to Suzuki to buy fork seals and steering head bearings. I thought the price was slightly more than I expected, until I realised that the quote included fitment, and it is actually  dirt cheap. 

Bensien, you must have had a "good day" with them. Suzuki dealers claim to be "dictated to" by Suzuki SA on their retail pricing. I was quoted approx R 850 for two Nech bearings for a scooter, that I got a better branded item from bearingman for less than halff this price! No fitment included. Suzuki are just as bad, if not worse than BMW in the spares pricing and money-making market.

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2014, 12:02:16 pm »
Bensien, you must have had a "good day" with them. Suzuki dealers claim to be "dictated to" by Suzuki SA on their retail pricing. I was quoted approx R 850 for two Nech bearings for a scooter, that I got a better branded item from bearingman for less than halff this price! No fitment included. Suzuki are just as bad, if not worse than BMW in the spares pricing and money-making market.

In my experience, my DL1000's parts were as expensive, if not more so than the BMW.  A friend had a VFR1200X Honda.  Parts and service were way more expensive than my BMW.
#33 #BRADICAL!