Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Husky Ride to Bezhuidenhouts Pass and Old Mill Route (almost)  (Read 7460 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
    • View Profile
Re: Husky Ride to Bezhuidenhouts Pass and Old Mill Route (almost)
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 11:11:30 am »
The Old Mill route splits ... we did it a few years ago and were evidently the first(?) to do it on big adventure bikes ... and yes it was an adventure  ::). We did it from the Lesotho side to Clarens.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:08:56 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW R1200GS HP2E  Husqvarna TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 200 XCW YAMAHA BWS  BETA REV 3

:ricky:

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Hang time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 11:55:34 am »
Did you have any issues with the soft "Huskys"?  :biggrin:

Offline ROOI

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • XR650R YZ 250 2t WR AKA Red Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 01:08:45 pm »
 :thumleft: NIce
FTS

Offline Minxy

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • >^.^<
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 02:31:36 pm »
Awesome RR guys  :thumleft:

Johan and I did Bezuidenhouts pass in September with the 950 SE's. Lets just say it was not a ride in the park... All I could think of is "I'm gonna fall on these rocks and break my legs" :P

A really rewarding ride though! :)

This was the scariest part!

*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"   ★.`.★               *
                            "Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive!"  
                                  https://www.facebook.com/motominxy/ 
Current: KTM 690RFR, Husqvarna 701, Honda CRF 1000L DCT, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, Honda LS 125                        
                              Previous: KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 02:35:20 pm »
They are super capable, just needs an extra inch of ground clearance. Also prefer the Marzocchi's to my current WP's in slow going rocky terrain (yes shoot me).
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 02:36:44 pm »
Early in 2012 I stayed at Sterkfontein Dan (Qwantani) for a week with the missus. One day while we were there, I said to her - "Lets go see what the Bezuidethingy Pass is all about" and we jumped on the Lump and off we went.

We got slightly side-tracked and ended up at the Coyote Caf on Oliviershook Pass instead, lunch etc.

And judging by the pic above IT WAS A DAM GOOD THING I DID!!! Probably saved the relationship!!

Respect to anyone doing that on anything bigger than a plastic!!

:thumleft:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline TEXC

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • What more can a man want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 02:53:02 pm »
awesome RR.

thanx for the pics (I cant read so lekka......

Offline Straatkat

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 04:28:12 pm »
Some more pics of the Old Mill Rd section, actually incorporating a 4x4 track as well. I was a bit overwhelmed at times, riding with Alan and Tony, both have a world of experience when things get rough, me, I only been riding DS for 3 years now (not counting a few mad years on large 2 smokes in my distant youth) But overwhelmed or not I did just fine! Maybe I was helped along by a very capable bike.
3 Husky's, 3 days, 3 Wilddog adventurers!
Current rides: Husqvarna TE 610 (2009), Aprilia RSV-R (trackbike), Vreesmasjien KTM 950 SE
18 till I die.

Offline Straatkat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 04:45:30 pm »
The mountain with the 2 small outcrops on top is where we were. Up the one side of the mountain and down the other side. Did I mention the views were spectacular and the dropoffs were at least 100m and we were really motivated to not lose a bike or ourselves over the edge!
At one stop Alan remarked that the edge was pulling him towards it, much like how heights pull someone that has a fear for heights.... I am very glad he did not give in to the pull!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:56:09 pm by Straatkat »
Current rides: Husqvarna TE 610 (2009), Aprilia RSV-R (trackbike), Vreesmasjien KTM 950 SE
18 till I die.

Offline Straatkat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 09:11:30 pm »
Some more pics...
18 till I die.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 09:43:06 pm »
Awesome RR guys  :thumleft:

Johan and I did Bezuidenhouts pass in September with the 950 SE's. Lets just say it was not a ride in the park... All I could think of is "I'm gonna fall on these rocks and break my legs" :P

A really rewarding ride though! :)

This was the scariest part!

Hi Minxy

What a coincidence bumping into you and HSK at RAD this afternoon!

It was your recent RR that inspired us to do the Bezhuidenhouts pass, so thank you!

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 09:46:49 pm »
Great pic's Bertie  :thumleft:

Although you may need to get your camera checked, it seems to make me look short and fat???  Something wrong with the lens maybe?

Glad you got some pics of the rocky section.  :thumleft:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 09:56:31 pm »

No not really.

I bent my side stand when the bike fell over in the rocks, which made stopping and getting on/off tricky!  (Being a short arse I need to climb on the footpeg, using the side stand, with the bag on the back - the bent stand made it stand too up right and you needed to find a hole or something to put it into to be able to get on/off without toppling over the other way).

But overall not many other bikes match them - as you know.

They are tedious on tar, but still able to cover long distances at reasonable speeds.  And superb on dirt  :ricky:

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 07:51:05 am »

No not really.

I bent my side stand when the bike fell over in the rocks, which made stopping and getting on/off tricky!  (Being a short arse I need to climb on the footpeg, using the side stand, with the bag on the back - the bent stand made it stand too up right and you needed to find a hole or something to put it into to be able to get on/off without toppling over the other way).

They are tedious on tar, but still able to cover long distances at reasonable speeds.  And superb on dirt  :ricky:

My one has never given me any serious problems either and has never left me stranded; but for some reason I don't really trust it. I don't really know why, I can't put a finger on it. 

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 08:15:51 am »

No not really.

My one has never given me any serious problems either and has never left me stranded; but for some reason I don't really trust it. I don't really know why, I can't put a finger on it. 

Done a number of long trips to Lesotho etc - some slabbing but mostly plot dirt routes. No problems, great lightweight DS bikes - very sought after in Oz and USA.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW R1200GS HP2E  Husqvarna TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 200 XCW YAMAHA BWS  BETA REV 3

:ricky:

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 08:21:54 am »

No not really.

Done a number of long trips to Lesotho etc - some slabbing but mostly plot dirt routes. No problems, great lightweight DS bikes - very sought after in Oz and USA.

I know I follow the forums (Cafe Husky and Adventure rider). Like I said I don't know why I don't trust the bike.

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 08:29:34 am »

No not really.

It's because of all those Fiat and Alfa Romeo stories
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Xpat

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 08:33:51 am »
To beat that dead horse a bit more - I've done Kaokoland (VZP, Marienfluss, riverbeds) solo on 630 and no worries - definitely more confidence inspiring than 690. But I understand RR - I feel more confident reliability wise on my XTZ.

Alan, nice report - have to go and see that old mill route someday.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:19:37 am by Xpat »

Offline BLK

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
    • Bruce Kendall & Ass
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 08:45:38 am »
When I read a RR like this I ask myself what the hell did I ever buy a 1200 for?(No choice really but...)

Thks

Offline Straatkat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 09:26:20 pm »
Mine is dead reliable, if the inept mecchie does not re-route the choke cable and pulls the choke open all the time....makes me think about the joke about the guy at work always complaining about the crappy sarmies......
There was a time when I was working on my 610 a lot, but now that everything is sorted it just goes every time I care to touch the happy button.
18 till I die.