Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Some virgins do the Kalahari Bash  (Read 7547 times)

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Some virgins do the Kalahari Bash
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:39:30 am »
…. With some not so virgin dogs
Yes I know, the bash was a month ago, and here I am doing my ride report now only. I have been lazy, buy me a beer and I can give more excuses

Trojan – BMW 650 Xchallenge, Jabo - BMW R1200GSA LC, Orko - BMW R1200GSA, Blougat - BMW F800GS, Herman - BMW F800GSA (Not on forum) and myself - BMW R1200GSA set off from Pinehaven on the Thursday morning at 8:30, Trojan had planned the routes and we were looking at about 300km of dirt to Kuruman where we were staying the night.
I was pretty nervous, the non-virgin bash boys have a reputation of taking any dirt road anywhere they go, all good and well but when you’re not that experienced and on a big fat German pig you do get nervous. But we hit the road to Ventersdorp, tar all the way there.
Some guys just can’t live without a memory of their first love, Ewe

Stopped for fuel and out of nowhere a Zamalek ended up in my hand, now being a humble man and not wanting to look ungrateful, I drank it, it tasted like more, but we had a long way to go still
From here we hit the gravel, headed to Ottosdal, The gravel started off nice, and then we started hitting a few hairy patches, but doing what  the theory tells you and trying not to soil your pants and you get through ok, I kept the speeds slow, my theory is that if I come off I shouldn’t get hurt and neither will the bike, we can both still go home normally. Most of the guys raced on ahead, but all good, we always wait at the next turn.

See no evil, speak no evil and hear no evil

We passed Brakpan, we deduced that this must be where the real Brakpan sends their aged to die, and we didn’t know that there was another Brakpan. Gravel all the way through Taung and then towards Vryburg, Stopped at Ottosdal for lunch, we found a nice pub in the burbs, the town itself is just plain rubbish.

Somewhere between Ottosdal and Taung we lost Trojan and Blougat, a major fail from them saw them now waiting at the next turn, so when the rest of us got there we guess the route, and we naturally guessed the wrong route, one which scared the living daylights out of me, it was a farm road, with huge piles of thick powdery sand as middle mannetjies, nice clean tracks but looking at the sand I was nervous.  I ended up in the lead on this stretch after I passed Jabo who was stopped and I though was taking pictures of us passing, fail, he wasn’t waving at me he was telling me we have taken the wrong route, so he ended up phoning me further down to say that I mustn’t go too far ahead, we are lost.

What do you do when you’re in the middle of nowhere waiting for the others, take photos of course?

The others eventually caught up and had decided that we will just carry on and hopefully meet the two code breakers in Vryburg.

We filled up in Vryburg and found the other 2 there waiting for us.
From there it was tar all the way to Kuruman, my nerves were shot.
The plan was to camp in Kuruman, so we found the municipal caravan park and went to book in, the place looked properly dodgy, but we were tired and just wanted to sit down and have a few drinks
Paid for a camping site and went to chill, now remember this is a municipal site, so obviously not much works anymore, the things that do work wont for too much longer as we witnessed when we rode out to the spar, the gate was closing in front of us so the guard instead of using his remote to stop it and reopen, pushes back against it and forces it back against what it was trying to do. This is Africa after all. Later on when we wanted a shower or a gentleman’s room we are told by the security that the ablutions are broken, but here is a key to your own personal Chalet, you can use the toilet and shower in there, WTF? You pay for a camp site and get a chalet for free too, Makes perfect financial sense to me, after seeing what the chalet looked like inside, I was happy to have slept in my tent.

This is now where Virgin Number 4 met us and also camped with us, JJBotes – BMW R1200GSA

The Municipal braais were so crap that Jabo bought a braai, it was small but it delivered

We ate and drank like king, I retired to bed early leaving the others to more kuiering, Herman provided the evening’s entertainment
I failed at saving my maps, so the best bet I have is to use my google locations map, not perfect but its close

:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Offshore

Re: Some virgins do the Kalahari Bash
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:51:06 am »
 :thumleft: I'm all in.

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
Day 2 – 5 Virgins to the bash
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:30:21 pm »
The next morning some of the guys opted for braai breakfast, some of us opted to do the real South African thing, WIMPY

We met the guys back at the camp and by this time the 5th virgin had met us to do the final leg to the bash, Transalpie, and no he wasn’t riding a transalp, you guessed it, another BMW, R1200GS, We were no 8 guys, all BMW’s, at least we felt confident of no breakdowns along the way, KTM riders saved us that trouble

Hotazel was our next stop and it seemed to be tar all the way there, I must say the tar roads in that part of the world are in pretty good shape.
We filled up the smaller bikes with fuel, from here the next place to have fuel was VanZylsRus
From here it was to be dirt, but the route Trojan had plotted was through one of the mines, security at the boom kindly turned us back the way we came. So it was a little bit more tar towards VanZylsRus, on this section of tar, Trojan set fire to his sleeping bag, after it was placed too close to his Zorst, and Jabo kindly threw his sleeping bag off his bike, much to our amusement having to dodge it and watch it bounce across the road
Finally the dirt started and we knew that today’s dirt wasn’t going to be a walk in the park. I was thankful for my tinted visor, that white sand is blinding
Not far down this stretch the sand claimed its first victim, stupid error, but he was first to crawl in the sand, he tried to turn around for some reason and just fell over in the thick sand

By the time I got there they had picked his bike up already

Bulls in this part of the world are not small

please ignore the BMW in sheep’s clothing

By this time I was used to the sand riding and picking up a lot more confidence, speed was up a little, still slower than the other guys but definitely faster than the previous day, the sand in some spots was insane, thick powdery stuff and the bike just loses all focus and doesn’t know which way to go, but I managed to hold her, my Fraulein was doing well.

We made the occasional stops to let everyone catch up and have a quick rest, after one of the stops around a very sandy area we all pulled away, I was pretty confident at that stage, I pulled away behind Transalpie and then realised that I haven’t left a big enough gap, but I would soon pass him, that was the plan anyways. We hit a sandy patch and I did everything correct but I ran out of room to accelerate so I had my first spill, very slow, but it happened

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bSUHnqxO9F0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bSUHnqxO9F0</a>
Lesson learned, keep a good following distance
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:32:19 pm by Mikie »

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Hondsekierie

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 06:11:50 pm »
Lekker Maaikie :thumleft:
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 06:37:55 pm »
A sheep skin on a GSA??
You should take a 990/950/800 for a test ride!  :peepwall: :peepwall:

I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline 4 Kays

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Live your life - you only have one to live !!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 06:54:56 pm »
Looks good, keep it coming  :sip:

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 06:57:54 am »
A sheep skin on a GSA??

:laughing4: You need to look nicely, Trojan was riding a Xchallenge, not a GSA

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 07:06:05 am »
Please tell me this is not a thread about "Man love"
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 07:12:21 am »

The closest thing I saw to man love was Kilroy in his sarong  :biggrin:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 07:14:41 am »
We slogged on to VanZylsRus and had a great ride doing so too.
At the local Hotel, we stopped for a drink and something to eat, and here we bumped into the whole SPCA, there were dogs everywhere, ok mostly in the bar. Mainly Rebel Dogs

From there we hit the dirt again towards Askham, by this stage I was fairly comfortable in the sand, speeds had picked up again and I was having fun, I even convinced Transalpie to speed up a bit and stick with me. What fantastic gravel roads out there. We really had a ball, I was hoping to spot a Gemsbok out there, this is Gemsbok country, I have never seen one in the wild before, alas I was out of luck, they clearly knew there were dogs in the area.
At one of our Smoke stops the Rebel dogs caught up, OrangeSwifty and Kevin came flying passed us, apparently we stopped in a very bad spot, I prefer to think that the tree was growing in a bad spot

I did get moaned at about our roadside parking abilities

HSK and Minxy also came flying passed us at one stage, I felt rather gay when comparing the speeds
When we hit Askham, there was only one thing to do, get alcohol.
We have Top Boxes, we need to fill them

After the requirements were complete we headed the 12 odd km to Molopo Lodge, still no Gemsbok
We setup camp in front of some Eastern cape dogs, we knew they were from the Eastern cape from their accents and the fact that they had their front teeth, Drazil was one of them I cant remember the other guys

This is how you fix a sleeping bag that has been melted together

And this is how you laugh at other misfortune

I must have had 2 Captains and coke before he got that bag open

It all went downhill from there, We braaied, ate and then made damn sure the Captain was consumed properly, I even ended up at the bar dancing for Orangeswifty

The young receptionist that works there was hot

There were all kinds of dogs there, legen-dairy dogs (Metal Jockey) and Dominee Dogs too

Even Kierie was out having a jol

I partied on until after they had kicked us out of the pub, probably till a little after 2, after which I somehow found my tent and promptly passed out in it.

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 07:55:53 am »
A sheep skin on a GSA??

:laughing4: You need to look nicely, Trojan was riding a Xchallenge, not a GSA

then he is forgiven  :biggrin:
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 07:59:29 am »

The closest thing I saw to man love was Kilroy in his sarong  :biggrin:
Oh lordy,, what's been seen can not be unseen !!
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 08:05:12 am »
*sub*
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
Pan racers
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 08:12:12 am »
Day 3 – Saturday Bash Day

Hangovers and a routine body clock don’t let me sleep very late so I was awake around 5:30, this doesn’t bode well I am losing out on much needed rest.
Once the rest of the gang woke from their slumbers we gathered around our braai area to recap on the previous evenings occurences, and anything anyone may have forgotten.
We also decided to go out to Haakskeen Pan, none of us had ever been on a pan and it seemed like the right thing to do, it was only about 30km away

So after breakfast at the lodge we kitted up and hit the road. The nice thing about these roads out there, they are in good nick and there is no traffic. We buggered around all the way there, trying rolling start races between the different bikes, the LC takes the cake there, I stood no chance, My GSA however, with a full tank of fuel, against Orko’s GSA, his only with half a tank , from a 120kmh rolling start ended up leaving him behind by quite an astonishing rate, the only difference between the two bike is that mine has been decatted, he has since sold this bike and bought a 1200 GS LC
About halfway to the pan, the road goes through a small pan, it looked perfect for some photos

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
Tyre rippers anonymous
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 10:38:00 am »
We carried on to the big pan and a sign eventually directed us off road, to Klein Mier, I saw no sign saying Haakskeenpan but I am fairly certain its around there.
Over a little rise and we were onto this fairly big pan, cautiously we rolled onto it, soon realising that this is hard, almost like tar and fairly flat, perfect to open up the throttle and give it some horns, What an absolute blast, we messed around there for ages, even tried going over the next rise to the even bigger pan, which apparently is THE Haakskeenpan, but they gates to the pan were loacked, so we stuck on our first find, it was already enough fun

We eventually decided it would be fun to test our bikes limits, who is faster, head to head races were had, but only after Jabo had started the whole thing with his 220kmh run right before ripping his rear tyre to pieces. The pan is flat but very rough, you can kind of see this in the photos, after his high speed run he braked hard to avoid going into the embankment, and we suspect that this hard braking caused the rear to dig in and rip open, well only open to the canvas, it didn’t deflate, Now we are screwed, how does Jabo ride back to Jozi with that???

Proud of this achievement

Nevermind, drink more beer and enjoy the races.

Even the Kalahari Ferrari had a go

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AZ7-1F215G4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AZ7-1F215G4</a>
All good things must come to an end, Jabo was still to have a slow ride back to the lodge, So we headed off

Its hot in the Kalahari, after you rip tyres to shreds you have to cool off

Right before he went looking for a tyre, he had seen another LC with a brand new TKC strapped to it, call it a strap-on if you will, he was off to try and purchase said strap-on.
The joys of internet banking apps, the deal was made and Jabo had some new rubber.
SO Orko and Bougat had to dance to show how happy they were

Many hands make light work and we have new rubber

There was rugga on, and we found the perfect spot to watch it

Followed by some prize giving

The rest of the evening is a bit of a blur, most of the guys decided to go to bed early, me on the other hand carried on until around 2am again
I even tried my hand at some photography, apparently I suck at this when drunk

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
Day 4 – Bash finished, hometime
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 01:33:19 pm »
Day 4 – Bash finished, hometime

One thing I never seem to learn even after 38 years on this planet, if there is a big days riding the next day, take it easy and go to bed early, some of us never learn, I woke up around 6 very tired and hanging like fruitbat. So there were two choices for the return route, take the route we came in on back to Kuruman, or take the tar via Upington to Kuruman, Raka and Sasha were joining us, JJBotes had left at 2am for Witbank already, I didn’t feel like I was in any state to take that dirt again, so the tar it was for myself, Raka, Transalpie and Herman.  Now for those that don’t know, this is around 200km longer, 200km of the most boring tar on earth.
Jabo, Orko and Blougat took the dirt, Trojan was heading off on his own on his solo dirt trip down to meet the family in Southbroom, he would go on to complete 3500 km in a week all on his Xchallenge
Next time, screw that, I will take the shorter more scenic dirt route.

Riding this in my state was like watching paint dry
We stopped in Upington for brunch and carried on by this time the others were at Kuruman already
I had to make several stops eventually just to stay awake, I was honestly falling asleep on the bike

Kathu obligatory stop

We were headed to Delareyville where we would spend the night at friends of Raka, their house is big and there is enough places in the entertainment area for us to throw our matresses down and sleep
I was so glad to finally get there, I was broken, the tar didn’t help my situation, the other three were out getting lost in the middle of mielie lands having a jol and getting punctures too.
We must have arrived in DLRville around 5 they only got there around 7
Louw our host , was an absolute star, he made syre there was beer and lots of meat to braai, we were gonna party tonight, the thought of this as bloody marvellous as it is to have such fantastic hospitality frightened me, I just wanted to fall over and sleep.

They also own the biggest Boerboel I have ever seen in my life

Dankie Louw.

Day 5 – Almost home

I slept like the dead and today is the last stretch home. There is absolutely nothing to report about this bit, orko had a slow puncture and that’s about it.
We got back to jozi around mid day and had a last beer stop before all going our separate ways back home.
Thanks okes for the fantastic riding and laughs.

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline COLES

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 11:52:07 am »

Great photo,s than u for sharing

Offline Tr0jan

• Centurion(Werk) - Zeerust(Plaas)
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Kom grondpad, kom!
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 10:24:17 am »
lekker mikie.
KTM 990 - Wiff twee pype and loud A-F!

I'm not a hooligan, my throttle grip got stuck! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Raka

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Die Dominee
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 12:28:15 pm »
Thanx for the report Mike. You are right about your drunk photography.... :spitcoffee:

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 01:04:23 pm »
Thanx for the report Mike. You are right about your drunk photography.... :spitcoffee:

:ricky:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key