Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fighting back against the extinction of the bearded vulture  (Read 796 times)

Offline Lestutu

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Fighting back against the extinction of the bearded vulture
« on: November 01, 2014, 07:53:50 pm »

For some time now, the Maloti-Drakensberg Vulture Project, or Project Vulture, has been tracking 10 tagged bearded vultures (gypaetus barbatus) by satellite to better understand its behaviour, and what can be done to save this bird from extinction.
There are only 350 birds left of the southern African bearded vulture population, the entire population resides in the Maloti-Drakensberg mountain range, and it is the only viable population remaining in the southern hemisphere.
It's a heroic battle against enormous odds in which there are more setbacks than victories. But one happy development is the remarkable photos from a camera in[/img][/img][/img][/img]stalled at the nest of a breeding pair of bearded vultures. Below a selection to show the chick's growth.
The journey IS the destination!

Offline Wahl

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
Re: Fighting back against the extinction of the bearded vulture
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 08:22:23 pm »
Great to see them in the wild. Please tell us more of your involvement in this project

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 10:58:18 pm »
I happened to see one come very low over the mine today, only about 10 meters up, I got a good look. The closest I have seen one yet.

ps. Mine is the Letseng Diamond mine in Lesotho.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 06:32:53 am »
 :sip:
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota