Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Help with Chainlube PAINS!!!  (Read 7752 times)

Offline johanp

Re: Help with Chainlube PAINS!!!
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2019, 10:38:03 am »
Lube is for unsealed chains.
All our modern chains have O-Ring or X-Ring or similar seals, that seal in the factory lube, to keep it where lubrication is required. You cannot add any lube inside those seals, so any lube you put on the chain is wasted and totally unnecessary.
So why do bike shops stock chain lube?
Because bikers ask for it! Why would they say no to a lucrative market?
But also because most racing bikes do not use sealed chains and they do need to be lubed frequently, so the dealers stock various chain lubes for that market segment. For adventure bikes, spend your money where its more needed.
If you want to give your chain some TLC, take it off the bike and soak it in diesel. Or brush some diesel onto the chain to clean off the muck... and by the way, diesel is a good lubricant too, just in case you still feel its needed.
Do yourself a favour and watch this video:

BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline BLK

« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2019, 10:55:27 am »
I wash chain area after ride with water.let dry.Place news paper under front sprocket and behind rear sprocket.Hold newspaper behind back sprocket and spin rear wheel up with motor.Gets rid of excess lube.Works a charm.No excess lube any where.See pics for idea.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 10:56:56 am by BLK »

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2019, 11:41:22 am »
Ain't nobody got time to clean and lube chains.

Offline johanp

« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2019, 11:52:48 am »
Ain't nobody got time to clean and lube chains.
Do you ever have time to do things properly?
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2019, 01:28:53 pm »
Do you ever have time to do things properly?

No, but it seems I do have time to do it twice.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2019, 04:33:30 pm »
How to lubricate a chain from a BSA manual:
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Sabre

« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2019, 09:23:12 pm »
I was clearing a corner of a shed a while back... a corner that was seldom visited, and came across a tin of Duckhams chain lube. The tin was like an old cake tin, about 35cm across and 10cm deep. It had to be heated on a hotplate or gas stove, and the cleaned chain dropped into the liquid gunk.
After a while the chain was pulled out and hung up to drain the excess, after which it was put back on the bike. I used this on my scrambler in the very early '80's.
That's what I used in the 70's and 80's.But, when using a new tin for the first time, I would add a tin of Wynns engine additive to the grease. My bikes used normal 5/8 chains, no sealed links. And I traveled 16km dirt daily

I got very good mileage out of those chains
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2019, 09:55:46 pm »
Lube is for unsealed chains.
All our modern chains have O-Ring or X-Ring or similar seals, that seal in the factory lube, to keep it where lubrication is required. You cannot add any lube inside those seals, so any lube you put on the chain is wasted and totally unnecessary.
So why do bike shops stock chain lube?
Because bikers ask for it! Why would they say no to a lucrative market?
But also because most racing bikes do not use sealed chains and they do need to be lubed frequently, so the dealers stock various chain lubes for that market segment. For adventure bikes, spend your money where its more needed.
If you want to give your chain some TLC, take it off the bike and soak it in diesel. Or brush some diesel onto the chain to clean off the muck... and by the way, diesel is a good lubricant too, just in case you still feel its needed.

The O, or X-rings, only seal in lube around the pivot pins of the chain.  Nothing to hold lubricant in between roller and pin, two off on each link.

I use chain lube to assist these rollers, for what it's worth.

I believe that chainlube also helps between the rollers and the sprocket teeth, and does more good than the bit of dirt trapping it does.

Like I have said before, if you get build-up of chainlube, you are using way too much.

The following users thanked this post: johanp