Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Help with Chainlube PAINS!!!  (Read 8123 times)

Offline Titanic

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at 260.
Re: Help with Chainlube PAINS!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 08:22:02 am »
Thanks guys  :thumleft:
Will look at the Wurth and or Tool in the can thing then  :thumleft:
Wurth, definitely.
No flinging, no mess.

First clean that mess with diesel.

Offline Pom

• Amateur Grease Monkey
  • Bike: Ducati Hypermotard
  • Non bastardus carborundum
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 01:56:00 pm »
I am super fussy about this problem, I cannot stand chain wax that flings off!!!
At last I discovered Bel Ray Super Clean, and IT WORKS!!!
No mess, no fuss, even at speeds of 200kph it stays on - Heaven :thumleft:
Success is a matter of hanging on, after others have let go.
Proudly Ducatisti

Offline Sharingroads

• Bike: DKW (all models)
    • Sharing Roads
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 02:00:33 pm »
Bel ray Super Clean.

First with a soft brush, clean chain with parafin, then water based engine cleaner, hose down, ride around a bit to get all the water off, then lube. I do every 500km or 2 weeks, whichever comes first, and wash every 3 months or so.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 03:51:13 pm »
Is chain lube realy necessary ? I can't recall ever seen on a x-ring or o-ring packet that it is a requirement to lube the chain. Has anybody ever tried to fit a chain, ride it without lube and see how long it would last ?
On a F800GS I replaced a chain and sprockets on 31000. A mate doesn't bother with chain lube. At 23000 km his F800GS chain and sprockets are goners.

Remember that the X-rings keep the lubrication inside the chain joints, but the real wear takes place between chain and sprockets.
You cannot do much about chain stretch, other than riding conservatively, but you want to stop the metal-chain-on-metal-sprockets wear. Sprocket tooth wear out and start bending because they get thin -  and is then a contributor to chain stretch. Chain rollers wear out, contributing with chain stretch to catching the last tooth, rather than spreading the load...
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 03:56:34 pm »
I am super fussy about this problem, I cannot stand chain wax that flings off!!!
At last I discovered Bel Ray Super Clean, and IT WORKS!!!
No mess, no fuss, even at speeds of 200kph it stays on - Heaven :thumleft:

That sounds just like an advert for Omo, or Surf  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Kenzogs

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 04:00:13 pm »
Believer in Castrol chain Wax but mainly because it is the only one I can find regularly here. No fling off problems. Plastic (Husky TE310 gets done every time after riding - non O-ring chain)

If you know you are going to be riding in dusty area where grit sticking to the chain can be a problem then try using graphite powder. Small tupperware container and applied with old (or your mates) toothbrush stops all the Richtersveld dust sticking to your chain.
You can never get lost - you just reach a different destination.
Every road has to lead somewhere - even if it is a dead-end.

Offline Doringboom

• Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
  • Vra maar, dalk weet ek.
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 09:39:45 pm »
Ek het 'n paar jaar gelede 'n kampeer-buurman by die Buff in Mosselbaai gehad wat weer net glo in Sunlight Liquid (ja, skottelgoedseep) vir smering op sy baaik se ketting. Wel, as daar steeds enige fling off is dan was mens dit sommer silwerskoon met water af, fienies en klaar :thumleft:
2-wiel geskiedenis sedert 1995: Kawasaki KLE 500, Suzuki GSX750F en Triumph Tiger 955i. Het almal verkoop, sonder dat ek myself en/of die fiets breek gery het.

Offline Piet

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 07:56:31 am »
Is chain lube realy necessary ? I can't recall ever seen on a x-ring or o-ring packet that it is a requirement to lube the chain. Has anybody ever tried to fit a chain, ride it without lube and see how long it would last ?
On a F800GS I replaced a chain and sprockets on 31000. A mate doesn't bother with chain lube. At 23000 km his F800GS chain and sprockets are goners.

Remember that the X-rings keep the lubrication inside the chain joints, but the real wear takes place between chain and sprockets.
You cannot do much about chain stretch, other than riding conservatively, but you want to stop the metal-chain-on-metal-sprockets wear. Sprocket tooth wear out and start bending because they get thin -  and is then a contributor to chain stretch. Chain rollers wear out, contributing with chain stretch to catching the last tooth, rather than spreading the load...

So if we do the math...He got about 35% less than you. On my KLR a good set of chain and sprockets work out to about R2000. Thus, if you spend more than R700 (R2000 x 0.35) on chain lube during the chain's lifetime, you are wasting money.

Thus, buy tool-in-a-can for R30 a can!  ;) :biggrin:

Offline bud500

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 08:56:03 am »
2 tips that help prevent fling and gunk:

- Always apply the chain lube to the inside of the chain, this way the lube gets forced into the chain with centrifugal force,
- Always apply lube when the chain is warm, to ensure better penetration.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline lecap

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 09:29:27 am »

I had bike hire customers doing exactly that. 3,000km. And that was a top of the range x- ring chain on a Suzuki XF650. The chain lubed with Castrol chain wax usually lasts ten times as long.

It is a basic requirement to lube an o-ring or x-ring chain since the seals only seal between the side plates (the space between bush and pin). There is no seal between bush and roller. If you don't lube your rollers  wear rapidly and thrash the sprockets in the process.

AFAIK every chain driven bikes owners manual states that you must lube the chain.

As for mess free lubrication: Castrol Chain lube Racing. Don't overdose. Every 400 - 500km of road, if you have been riding in the rain or in dirt or if the rollers are shiny and dry on the outside. Spray only where it's needed (on the rollers). Clean with Prepsol and dish brush and rinse off with water if it gets messy because you put on too much.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline EtienneKLR

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 10:14:46 am »

I had bike hire customers doing exactly that. 3,000km. And that was a top of the range x- ring chain on a Suzuki XF650. The chain lubed with Castrol chain wax usually lasts ten times as long.

It is a basic requirement to lube an o-ring or x-ring chain since the seals only seal between the side plates (the space between bush and pin). There is no seal between bush and roller. If you don't lube your rollers  wear rapidly and thrash the sprockets in the process.

AFAIK every chain driven bikes owners manual states that you must lube the chain.

As for mess free lubrication: Castrol Chain lube Racing. Don't overdose. Every 400 - 500km of road, if you have been riding in the rain or in dirt or if the rollers are shiny and dry on the outside. Spray only where it's needed (on the rollers). Clean with Prepsol and dish brush and rinse off with water if it gets messy because you put on too much.

Yes absolutely, just want to add.....raise the rear wheel off the ground and spin while oiling and for a while thereafter to disperse the oil evenly. Most lubes have a solvent which eveporates and after evaporation the oil should "stick" better. Do not ride the bike straight after oiling.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 10:50:24 am »
After a dusty ride I use a wire brush to clean the chain with the bike on main stand and 1st gear. On a multi day ride the chain has to be lubed every day.

Just listening to the sound of a dry chain makes me cringe. The relative fling mess is negligible compared to the benefits of chain lube.

And Q20 and similar are evaporating oils. It lasts for a day before nothing is left.

Dish-washing liquid is a SOAP, not an oil based LUBRICANT!

BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 10:06:56 pm »
Yes but it cleans the dishes so well, must be good for a chain then. Maybe wash the dishes in Castrol chain wax and the try it on the chain to see if it will work there as well.....The logic of it all astounds me!
Anyone try to use Zambuk on your chain in a pinch? If it works on your lips then....oh shut-up!
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

The following users thanked this post: billy-joe

Offline JK

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 09:44:31 am »
Yes but it cleans the dishes so well, must be good for a chain then. Maybe wash the dishes in Castrol chain wax and the try it on the chain to see if it will work there as well.....The logic of it all astounds me!
Anyone try to use Zambuk on your chain in a pinch? If it works on your lips then....oh shut-up!

Yes but the rule would be to pick ur Zambuk carefully. We have a member that always ride with Zambuk but uses it for his Piles  :patch: :lol8:
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 10:57:05 am »

Yes but the rule would be to pick ur Zambuk carefully. We have a member that always ride with Zambuk but uses it for his Piles  :patch: :lol8:
That should clean the chain quite well!.... sort the piles out if you sit on the chain whilst in gear! :lol8: :eek7:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 11:37:25 am »
Yeah the chain scrubs the piles right off and coat the area lightly with Zambuk, it's a win win.
And another thread goes to pot!
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2014, 11:57:45 am »
On average I get about 30 000 to 35 000km out of a chain and set of sprockets. Q20... not to lube it really, but to keep it clean.

Dirt is the death of chain and sprockets. If it will work for the MX riders, it works for me.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline OFFROAD FANATICS

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 12:04:22 pm »
The scottoiler guys state that their system will make a chain last at least 7 times longer due to lubrication only, so going without lube is not the answer! :deal:

I have used 4 different kinds of chain lube in the past and only recently started using Motorex`s Offroad chain lube. What I like about it is that it does not leave a greasy residue and cleansed right off with some prepsol. And when i say right of I mean just that. :thumleft:  

PS. You are also one of the group that uses Zambuck so I`ll we watching when you go to the toilet! :o
KEEP THE MOMENTUM - 2017 KTM 350 XCF
KAKAF TOT MôRE - 2017 KTM 300 XCW
KAN TRUMP MOTORCYCLES  - 2014 KTM 1190 R
KEEN TO MOVE - 2013 KTM RC8R - THE ORIGINAL DNA

Offline Piet

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 12:22:15 pm »
The scottoiler guys state that their system will make a chain last at least 7 times longer due to lubrication only, so going without lube is not the answer! :deal:

I have used 4 different kinds of chain lube in the past and only recently started using Motorex`s Offroad chain lube. What I like about it is that it does not leave a greasy residue and cleansed right off with some prepsol. And when i say right of I mean just that. :thumleft:  

PS. You are also one of the group that uses Zambuck so I`ll we watching when you go to the toilet! :o

At least 7 times longer?  :laughing4:  :imaposer: Anywhere between 70 000km and 210 000km on a chain then? Sounds like a bit of a STRETCH (no pun intended).

Got to love the marketing team from Scottoiler!

Offline OFFROAD FANATICS

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 12:28:16 pm »

At least 7 times longer?  :laughing4:  :imaposer: Anywhere between 70 000km and 210 000km on a chain then? Sounds like a bit of a STRETCH (no pun intended).

Got to love the marketing team from Scottoiler!

Just remember they are talking about the correct intervals of changing a chain, not riding it until it looks like the chain on an old stroper standing outside nie.
KEEP THE MOMENTUM - 2017 KTM 350 XCF
KAKAF TOT MôRE - 2017 KTM 300 XCW
KAN TRUMP MOTORCYCLES  - 2014 KTM 1190 R
KEEN TO MOVE - 2013 KTM RC8R - THE ORIGINAL DNA