Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Africa Twin ITS REAL!!!!!!!  (Read 199225 times)

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: New Africa Twin ITS REAL!!!!!!!
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2014, 06:43:14 pm »
Really like this but I hope they tidy up the rightside of the motor. There is a lot of stuff sticking out that can end a trip with a slow speed fall.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Rider39

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2014, 06:52:17 pm »
 :ricky: :laughing4: :blob9: :clock: :hello2: :headbang: :santa:

Looking at the pics and listening to all the speculation about the technical specs, accurate or not, this, IMHO is going to be an awesome bike. Whether your're a fan of the winged clan or not! :peepwall:

Only 1 issue I have, what color I should choose!!!

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2014, 06:53:20 pm »
Sorry Chaps, I do not think that this does ANY justice to the original Africa Twin.  :dousing:

Who gives a flying @#$% about the original one?

Online Xpat

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2014, 06:57:07 pm »

I agree that the old AT was more name than bike, and that the 650 TA was actually a more capable bike. What made the AT so popular is reliability for the time, being one of the first real purposely build DS bikes with reliability that matched. The old AT is more name than bike but great for the time. We are going forward now, bikes are also evolving slowly into what the markets wants and let me be the asshole to say this on this thread again: 'SA is not the market, we get what the European and USA markets want'. If we were to design a DS bike to the liking's of SA DS Bikers it would have been 170kg fueled, 100hp and bla bla bla.....but we are not major role players because we are a very small market down here.....we get what they offer us and then we spent a shitload in aftermarket parts like progressive springs etc to get it to perform the way we would like it to do

Well, kind of. This mechanical idiot had the misfortune of trying to figure out how to fix fuel pump on one of the latest produced AT with about 10000 km on clock in 600 km desert stretch between Taftan and Queta in Pakistan (new switch from old Land Cruiser pump was the trick). I know now (didn't know then) that fuel pump and regulator were probably the only weak points, but they were still there till the end of production.

But back to this one: I actually don't believe I'm even looking at Honda let alone being almost excited about it as IMO they didn't produce any interesting bike (except XR650R) in the last 20 years. But if they can keep it very close 200 kg fully fuelled (still lighter than my 'small' Tenere) and with proper suspension (or at least easily upgradeable suspension as in 48mm diameter triple clamps) I will probably get it - the only possible glitch being buying XT700Z if it materialises.

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2014, 06:57:32 pm »
My order is in! :3some: :thumleft:
To who. . . . . .the Big Man upstairs.  :imaposer:
Arriving in 3-4 months time!

Not sure about that. A dutch dude on advrider who seems to be well informed said press release March/April (in Moroco) and in shops September 2015.

:sip: And 3-4 months from now is............ :3some:

Depends on the definition of 'arriving'. If the info I posted is correct, I would expect it to be available in SA late next year or beginning of 2016.

:sip: Jep, point taken, but it seems so long to wait, patience!!  :lamer:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2014, 07:02:11 pm »
My order is in! :3some: :thumleft:
To who. . . . . .the Big Man upstairs.  :imaposer:
Arriving in 3-4 months time!

Not sure about that. A dutch dude on advrider who seems to be well informed said press release March/April (in Moroco) and in shops September 2015.

:sip: And 3-4 months from now is............ :3some:

Depends on the definition of 'arriving'. If the info I posted is correct, I would expect it to be available in SA late next year or beginning of 2016.

:sip: Jep, point taken, but it seems so long to wait, patience!!  :lamer:

The older we get the longer the wait seems  :peepwall:

Offline Brandt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
Re: New Africa Twin!
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2014, 07:44:46 pm »
Wow, they are launching a new one twice daily now  :thumleft:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=162551.0

Offline Brandt

• Race Dog
Re:
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2014, 07:51:29 pm »
I Like! Hope it have the Woema of a 990 R

Online Lem

« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2014, 07:54:14 pm »
Really like this but I hope they tidy up the rightside of the motor. There is a lot of stuff sticking out that can end a trip with a slow speed fall.

sssssshhhhhhhhjjjjjjtttt

someones gonna make you a crash bar to sell...  :deal:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Brandt

• Race Dog
Re:
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2014, 07:58:09 pm »
Ja ja, saw it now....

Offline Flatout

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2014, 08:09:21 pm »
Dis ín Honda so al wat ek oor worry is die prys. Mens sal moet koop teen die bekenstellings prys as jy kyk wat met die nuutste Honda modelle reeds op die mark gebeur het.

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2014, 08:19:05 pm »
I really hope it doesn't - the old AT must be one of the most overestimated bikes in the history. Underpowered, undersprung, overweight boring pig. I'm talking 750 that I had, I've heard 650 was better.

:thumleft:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2014, 08:44:01 pm »
I really hope it doesn't - the old AT must be one of the most overestimated bikes in the history. Underpowered, undersprung, overweight boring pig. I'm talking 750 that I had, I've heard 650 was better.

:thumleft:

Infidels.

:biggrin:
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2014, 09:04:51 pm »
You guys are dreaming. A 100hp bike with 180kg is a pipe dream or it will be so expensive that they won't sell enough bikes to make a profit.
It will be very close to the figures of the F800GS with probably a few more horses.
What's so exiting about the new Africa Twin?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:36:26 pm by DirtyHarry »

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2014, 09:31:42 pm »
You guys are dreaming. A 100hp bike with 180kg is a pipe dream or it will so expensive that they won't sell enough bikes to make a profit.
It will be very close to the figures of the F800GS with probably a few more horses.

The fact that it took them so long to wake up :deal:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline XRRX

« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2014, 09:46:46 pm »
Some strange comments and comparisons....  ::)
I believe the only bikes ever produced and comparable to this is/was the 950/990 KTM's - and specifically the S/R and Super Enduro versions!! >:D
All the rest (800cc and above) is "softroaders/posers", and the smaller cc's will obviously not be comparable.... :pot:
I think we overestimate the "power" of our opinion and forum - I mean - many of us shouts high hp and low weight, yet the majority buyers on this forum and in SA generally believes in the "BIG" bikes....  :deal: .. and off course we are just a small little fish in a very big pond!

Let's be honest - nothing seems to say better "I've arrived - I'm THE MAN" than a BMW propellor on the side (KTM also acceptable).....  ::) ::) ...off course with all the accesories and branded clothing and bits..... :spitcoffee: ...and remember to stand especially in town..... :snorting:
Sorry - I for one does not agree with that cult, but that's reality.... :P

So, I don't think the AT will threaten the GS dominance - no matter the specs, but for those enjoying a REAL Adventure bike it will probably be the weapon of choice!!!  :3some:
I also believe Honda has done their homework well - took them almost decades  ::) , and they should sell enough of these bikes to these real adventurers or just normal open-minded souls, to make a good return on their investment!!  O0

Online Xpat

« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2014, 09:48:30 pm »
You guys are dreaming. A 100hp bike with 180kg is a pipe dream or it will be so expensive that they won't sell enough bikes to make a profit.

Well if the specs are at least in the ballpark (big assumption admitedly), this could turn out to be lighter, more reliable KTM 990 with decent mileage. I.e. for me ideal solo long distance off road adventure bike (like in Makgadikgadi, Angola, Van Zyl Pass and such) with great fun factor. As far as I can tell there isn't such a bike - at least for me (no 800GS or XC do not apply as for as I'm concerned) on the market now. As I said the only theoretical bike that could compete (on the lower weight hopefully) is potentially XT700Z. What is not to like?

Offline Brandt

• Race Dog
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2014, 09:57:23 pm »
What I like of this bike when I saw it now for the first time is it looks aggressive just like the 990 R. If it have the fun factor of the 990 and the low maintenance cost of a Honda it will be a winner  :thumleft:

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2014, 12:19:08 am »
How many hardcore adventure riders do you know of who want to wrestle with a 100hp adventure bike far off the beaten track?

Reliability is found on the opposite side of high power output and light weight. This applies to all manufacturers, even Honda.