Cape Town-Villiersdorp-Genadendal-Hangklip trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboef

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Left on Friday morning, and ran out of fuel on the N1 in the dark. :shock:
Turns out I left the fuel tap on reserve since the last fill up. So I had to push the 207kg bike, plus about 20k's of luggage to the nearest garage. Sweating before breakfast is crap.
I arrived at the Richwood Total garage for the Malmesbury trip (posted by Butch today), and rode a few lekker grondpaaie with the boys.

Butch on the yellow GS

Fixing a top box

Left them at 14:00 , and set off for Genadendal via Stellenbosch and the Hellshoogte pass. At Pniel the bike cut out, and I swore and kicked and promptly drank a warm beer. Removed the luggage and side covers to check for the problem. Turns out I had ridden with the choke ON the last couple of k's, and I ran the main tank dry in just 200km's. Turned the tap on Reserve, and off I went. Having now only 1.5hours of daylight left, and hoping that my luck would improve, I crossed the Franschoek pass and headed to the Theewaterskloof dam camp site. There I stayed te first night.

Theewaterskloofdam at sunset. Dont make the mistake to think its nice and warm here!

Me posing for a pic in my best attire. :D

Morning has broken.

Morning is still breaking 8)

Got up, and unfroze my limbs in the hot showers.

Rode the Van der Stels pass from Villiersdorp to Botrivier.

There struck the N2 for a bout 5 k's, and turned off to Genadendal on the Boontjieskraal road.

Van der Stelpass

Some more scenery

Just before Botrivier.

Botrivier. Guy in the pic came up to me as I was climbing off the bike and commented " Jitte, hierdie ding ry sieker soos 'n kar, my broe!"

The Boontjieskraal road

My state of the art GPS

Op pad na Genadendal

Me and bike

A burnt out tree that I thought made a good photo subject.

The mission church in Genadendal.

Rode to Greyton, only to found out they had their annual Winter Festival on. Lots of Posh Pommies, talking about their villa's in Toulouse and Bordeaux, and their messed up children in rehab. Seems every house is Greyton is up for sale. There are more estate agents per square meter than there are square meters. Nonetheless, I decided to stay there the Saturday night, but first I had to do some more riding. So I crisscrossed some gravel roads, crossed some rivers, and somehow ended up again in Genadendal. Stayed in a comfy B&B in Greyton that night, with FHM posters on the bedroom walls. Very cosmopolitan.

Horse droppings with flags in - Greyton main road.

Nice food, nice price

Sunday: Woke up, and rode in pea soup towards the N2. Took the Hermanus turnoff, and took the Kleinmond turnoff. Turned left onto the Highlands forestry road, and WOW, what a great stretch of gravel! One can get lost there for hours, just playing around on the bike!
This was definitely the highlight of my weekend.

The entrance to the Highlands road

Al le die berge nog so blou. View from the top.

How's this for a view!

There are some many roads here, all of them criss-crossing the mountain, its just unbelievable....

Peace, tranquility, a Jedi craves not these things..

After that, I headed home.
Didn;t even run out of fuel ONCE on the way home!