Two girls’ first off-road ride since busting our feet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanie

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
I broke my foot back in July as a result of a trip to Die Hel (full story: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=155579.0). Since I was out of action, I spent a lot of time living vicariously through others on this forum. That’s when I noticed that another biker girl had a similar story to tell: Boskind27, who had torn her Achilles tendon in the Cederberg early September: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=159266.0.

We were both out of action and missing our motorbikes. We decided to meet up and have our first ride late September; unfortunately as pillions, but that was better than nothing. Our boyfriends kept to tar that time, as we couldn’t yet handle the jarring of an off-road ride. Boskind27 still had her moon-boot and I had my crutches.

Me and Boskind:
38142642385_cf4e66746a_b.jpg

I was finally able to drive my motorbike again mid-October.I have been watching the Oasis Spitbraai planning a ride thread with interest and was wondering whether I would ‘survive’ such a trip. Hence it was decided that we should test out whether I can handle dirt road. Boskind27, her boyfriend and another friend decided to come along. This would be Boskind’s first off-road ride as well. She hasn't seen dirt on her motorbike for 8 weeks, I haven’t seen any for 16 weeks.

The group (Zanie, Lance, Gerhard, Ilse, Theo):
38142641455_93d5728178_b.jpg

I was very glad that we ended up going with a group of people. I was very nervous and, no matter what boyfriend-dearest says, I would feel bad holding him up. Now the three guys could race ahead and have various view-enjoying pit-stops or take pics/footage, whilst us two girls could plod along at a pace that agreed with our nerves.

One of the guys stopping to enjoy the view. Unfortunately I was concentrating too much to give it my full attention.
25157981338_f76aef01e4_b.jpg

LanC, my better (with bike skills!) half, led the way; taking us on some of the easier routes he explored on the Yamaha ride (report here: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=161577.0). For those interested, here’s a Google Map of our route: https://goo.gl/bJUHlS. We started with bad tar road on the Old Malmesbury Road. Interestingly enough, this stretch of road was the worst for my foot. The pot-holes and ditches would jar my foot to such an extent that I had to do this stretch sitting down. It was too painful otherwise.

The dirt road between Moorreesburg and Darling (R307) was perfect for building confidence on dirt road. The first section in particular was good, with some sandier (relatively – I don’t think the guys even registered this) bits near the end.

I started off very slow (40-50km/h) and would go dead slow and sitting around tighter corners. I know the theory about cornering on dirt. I’ve been on off-road training courses twice, but I’m allergic to corners now, so bear with me. I’ll go on another course when my foot allows and will then start practicing the correct method. My lack of skills is what caused my accident in the first place and I don’t want a repeat experience. In the end, both Boskind and I managed to hit 80km/h and over on straight, good bits of dirt road. For the guys out there: this means ‘fast.’

Two girls trundling closer to a corner:
38142640435_763d500cea_b.jpg

The guys have no qualms:
25157980268_b962a3a048_b.jpg

I know the photos beg to differ (they were taken on corners), but Boskind and I were standing almost the entire time. It feels much safer and gives more control when hitting sandy patches. I had one moment where I thought I would come off the bike on a sandy patch, but I opened up the throttle and managed to stay upright. Boskind, who saw me fish-tailing in front, pre-emptively applied some juice before hitting the sand. She made it through as well.

By the time we stopped at Darling for lunch, my legs were shaking badly. My right leg in particular experienced quite a bit of muscle wastage due to my 3-month stint on crutches. Now I need to build it back up again.

The last it of dirt road between Darling and Grotto Bay was a bit more challenging. Apparently it had been in a better condition 2 weeks back. There was enough sand to give Boskind and me a couple of grey hairs. At least we were forewarned of the very sandy bit right at the end, before it joined the tar road.

Regrouping after the last bit of sand (at least for us girls):
38142639675_46bffc3f22_b.jpg

Boskind and I had seen enough sand (in our definition) for the day. We headed to Doodles in Blouberg via tar, while the guys went exploring a last bit of ‘real’ sand.

The guys having fun in ‘real’ sand.
38142639255_9a4b19a300_b.jpg

The following week I put my name down for the Oasis spitbraai. I am ready - I think…

All photos compliments of Theo Gutter.

A video by Lance using his GoPro:

[flash=800,450]https://www.youtube.com/v/1eoOCTef0M0[/flash]