Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ural outing 09.11.2014?  (Read 853 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Ural outing 09.11.2014?
« on: November 10, 2014, 10:36:11 am »
Humfree, was that your group I saw sunday morning going up the pass from Harties on the Brits road, geat turn out if so I was on the black pig going the other way, it looked fun...  :biggrin:

Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline BFG

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Ride- crash-fix-repeat
Re: Ural outing 09.11.2014?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 10:39:41 am »
I was behind a couple of these guys yesterday afternoon, going down William Nicol towards 4ways. And all I could think to myself was how unstable the things looks.
Every time the rider accelerated it went one way and when he braked it went the other.
Is that normal?

Offline Humfree

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Ural (all models)
  • GS Adventure Sidecar...
    • Sidecar Africa
Re: Ural outing 09.11.2014?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 12:49:47 pm »
Hi Welsh sorry for the late reply - yes that was us and the final "Ride Along" for the year. Had a great breakfast and game viewing at Dikololo. Saw you and was quite surprised as I have never seen that rig.

BFG - sidecars are incredibly stable and yes we use the power to steer as it is a natural characteristic of a sidecar. So in a left turn you would apply positive throttle to ride the bike around the sidecar and to the right you would close the throttle or blip it to get the sidecar to "overtake" you and in that way use the natural characteristic of the sidecar to help steer.

These dynamics and the understanding of them is what makes sidecars such fun....
Life is lived forwards but best understood backwards...