Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The chronicle: a preamble.  (Read 4422 times)

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
The chronicle: a preamble.
« on: November 10, 2014, 03:01:08 pm »
Dear whomever it may concern,

My name is IDR.  I'm an 80's baby - '81, in fact - and I am sure that I don't need to remind anyone that the best people are born in February.  Math, in general, is hard, but even a South African Apartheid education should be sufficient for you to deduce that I will be turning 34 in approximately 3 months. I am a 2nd generation South African male (96kg right now) of Dutch origin (1.9m) and I am rather enthusiastic about anything and everything related to motorcycling. 

There are, of course, a myriad of advantages to being tall, as I am sure any vertically challenged person will attest - aside from all the hilarious short jokes.  Our very own Dwerg, here on this forum, has to do a pretty fine little dance to mount anything higher than a Shetland pony.  For reference:

Aren't they just the cutest...

However, this doesn't stop anyone from doing amazing things on tall bikes.  Again, for reference:

The one on the right, in case you were wondering (click for further information)

Right.  So I should probably start ambling on towards some point.

I have been riding motorcycles for approximately a lot of my life and, regularly, as in practically daily, for at least the last half.  I was blessed with opportunity by a fortunate change of jobs by my old man when I was 6 years old.  I remember lying in bed drooling (nothing more) over all the colourful Kawasaki pamphlets that he used to bring home for me.  I literally grew up around bikes and the industry, and with no small amount of favour either - how fortunate is that?  But... that same old man is now retiring - more about that later.

So in any case, a not insignificant amount of bikes (and one solitary car) later, I don't think I'm entirely useless on a bike.  I'm quite good at keeping it the right way up (mostly), but I'm most definitely not good at doing anything impressive at any turn of speed.  Really just your average nice, responsible (mostly), gentleman motorcyclist.

I also fear that, at my age, my generally over-active self-preservation and injury avoidance preference is starting to turn IDR into a bit of a dull boy.  Recently, some fairly major life changes have also been dealt with and I'm looking forward to a bright and exciting future full of promise.  In other words, it seems that I might be going through a bit of an early mid-life crisis! 

Hur-rah!

So - on to the actual point!  Drawing inspiration from my incredibly talented, ambitious and capable close friends, as well as all other competitors of the Amageza (and maybe just a little bit of hype after last week), I would like to start setting my sights on competing.  It will most probably not be 2015.  Realistically speaking the cashflow will most probably simply not allow it.  If things take a favourable turn perhaps I would reconsider, but let's be honest, this is not a financial decision that should be taken recklessly.

There is a plan however.  It goes as follows - on a very broad, high-level overview type level:
  • 1) Buy motorcycle
  • 2) Modify motorcycle
  • 3) Learn how to ride good
  • 4) Finish Amageza Rallye
  • 5) ...
  • 6) Profit!

Now, as a salaried drone with a shady history of financial decisions this is, to say the least, quite ambitious.  There will probably have to be some transfers of ownership doing the rounds, and quite a bit of slightly used gadgets (one lady owner) placed in the for sale section.  But the direction has been chosen, and the plan laid out.  Onwards!

As I'm sure you all know, step 1 is the easiest part of the whole plan... especially when you know what the sole purpose of said motorcycle will be, namely Rallye... or is it?  There are still a couple of really hard decisions to be made.

The video below makes the hair on the back of my neck stand just a little on end, and the family jewels tighten ever so slightly:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yhWR5jjGzfM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yhWR5jjGzfM</a>

I currently own a KLR (the only bike of it's sort available to me at my time of buying) and, with all the very expensive modifications I have applied to make it more off-road worthy, does not come even remotely close to this.  Yes, it is extremely reliable and capable, it packs like a donkey and has taken me to all kinds of beautiful places, but it has one major downfall, and this it lacks in spades - the tightening of the family jewels department.  It is far, far removed from anything even remotely resembling exciting.  I realise that boring, reliable and capable are perhaps qualities that you would want in an endurance-type event - there was even a KLR among the finishers of the Amageza this year (well done Cracker!), but I want to shift focus a little.

First, a little detour, and this might seem slightly familiar...

The Fish River Canyon.  It's quite the hike, and I can not recommend it enough to anyone that likes to sleep under the stars.  Look, it's tough, literally not just a walk in the park, but the main attraction of it to me is the solitude.  You can be a group of 20 people, but you will never feel as alone as you do in that canyon.  There is absolutely nothing - no pollution of any sort (smog, radiation, noise) and you have but the river and what you can carry to make it down the 80-odd km over 5 days.  That is all you have to do - eat, sleep and put one foot in front of the other.  It pushes you down a little on Maslow's pyramid:

Fish River Canyon - Maslow rating: 2 out of 5

I expect pursuing the same on the back of a motorcycle will be slightly harder - you can cover vastly more distance over time and the world is just not big enough to be able to find solitude for 5 days (nevermind that pesky fuel requirement), but I do think that some solitude can be attained - even when trying to find it in a group of riders.  I like the minimalist idea - and I expect it is a reflection on our society today that human beings (or at least this human being) needs to put in significant effort to "get away from it all" - to knock yourself down Maslow's pyramid by a couple of notches every now and again to gain some perspective.  I think even the Amageza is similar, in fact possibly even more so, since you are without a doubt encroaching on the need for safety!

OK, but back on track... The KLR, faithful servant that it has been, must make way for something that will be:
  • Family jewel tightening
  • Capable of finding solitude (i.e. minimalist, technical touring a-la sidetrack and cronies)
  • Easily modifiable to:
    • complete a 5-day rallye
    • compete in a hare scramble or similar
    • possibly commute 9 km every now and again (SM anyone??)
    • reliably do said minimalist trips
After much reading and much drooling and much research on bling, I have come to a decision.. more or less. 

My old man is retiring, and thus the 25-year old mantle of oppression that is the KMSA brand restriction* is lifted, to suit the requirements as set out above, there will finally be an orange beast in the garage (soon!).

But I leave you with a question...  Considering the above:

KTM 500 XC-W OR
KTM 450 XC-W

*  Really, really not oppressive!!!

PS: Thanks for reading

The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Buff

Re: The chronicle: a preamble.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 03:33:28 pm »
A full page of rambling and that's the 2 choices you give us  ??? What a let down  :imaposer:

Take the 500... why? Well simply because 500cc sounds better than 450cc when you're telling someone what bike you ride  ;)
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 03:43:58 pm »
But a 500 will still be quite a bit more expensive than a 450 if you buy 2ndhand.

If of course, you are buying new.........well lucky you.

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 03:46:31 pm »
A full page of rambling and that's the 2 choices you give us  ??? What a let down  :imaposer:

Take the 500... why? Well simply because 500cc sounds better than 450cc when you're telling someone what bike you ride  ;)
2009 maybe, not road legal, but the husky 501 is.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:49:30 pm »
But a 500 will still be quite a bit more expensive than a 450 if you buy 2ndhand.

Dan, the FI models will all be quite expensive second hand currently - Can shop around a little, and you do inevitably get some farkles for cheap with those deals, but ideally I would like to buy new (depending on finances), so I know if it breaks that it was all my fault ;D

Buff, the 500 vs the 450 is important in only one way:
Will the 500 restrict me in any way from doing enduros / Amageza in future - in that case I would have to take the 450.

There is R 2000 difference between them new and not a hell of a lot of power.  Also, besides the increased stroke of the 500, and a half a kg in weight, I can't tell the difference between the two were it not for the sticker.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 03:52:22 pm »
Hmmmmm..........bring die popcorn!  :happy1:

Sterkte ou maat.....ek is 100% oortuig jy sal 'n moerse sukses maak uit dit uit.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:52:54 pm by Carrots »
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 03:56:32 pm »

Dan, the FI models will all be quite expensive second hand currently - Can shop around a little, and you do inevitably get some farkles for cheap with those deals, but ideally I would like to buy new (depending on finances), so I know if it breaks that it was all my fault ;D

Will the 500 restrict me in any way from doing enduros / Amageza in future - in that case I would have to take the 450.

There is R 2000 difference between them new and not a hell of a lot of power.  Also, besides the increased stroke of the 500, and a half a kg in weight, I can't tell the difference between the two were it not for the sticker.
450 requires oil filter and oil change every night, keep that in mind.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 03:59:09 pm »
It is a great ambition that you have and they way you set it out and start planning can only result in great success, and I wish you well for that. :thumleft:

Just to show that any person can set and achieve a goal, as long as you have a plan in place.

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 04:17:34 pm »

There is R 2000 difference between them new and not a hell of a lot of power.  Also, besides the increased stroke of the 500, and a half a kg in weight, I can't tell the difference between the two were it not for the sticker.

Why?? If the 450 requires it, surely the 500 will too? They are the same motor?

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 04:19:27 pm »

There is R 2000 difference between them new and not a hell of a lot of power.  Also, besides the increased stroke of the 500, and a half a kg in weight, I can't tell the difference between the two were it not for the sticker.

NOT, the 450's have 10 hour service intervals, I watch those 450's get service every night. Our 690's needed minor repairs and fuel.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 04:29:29 pm »

NOT, the 450's have 10 hour service intervals, I watch those 450's get service every night. Our 690's needed minor repairs and fuel.

Then the 500s would be the same... Service every night. A valve clearance once you're comfortable with it (and I intend to be) only takes half an hour though, so a oil change can't be a MOER of a job?

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 04:36:17 pm »
They even share the same owners manual. Service every 15 hours.

Offline Buff

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 04:42:44 pm »

Which is my point exactly, there's hardly a difference between the two, well not a big enough difference for the average rider to notice anyway, so rather go for the bigger stroke motor. It's a different story if like MaxthePanda, you pick up a gem of a 2nd hand deal on a 450  :thumleft:

Bear in mind that if you're buying new, you're gonna drop a good few pennies on making the bike Rally ready and comfortable for the liasons sections.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 05:55:15 pm »
No chance of a future "450cc only" rule in the Amageza?

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 06:12:44 pm »

That's exactly why I'm asking, and the only reason why I wouldn't get a 500.

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 06:14:57 pm »
And then of course you never know where this will go. Dakar has a 450 limit ;D

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 06:15:43 pm »
Unless this is the case, the only bike to have is a 690. It's by far the most used bike on amageza and for plebs like us, it's perfect because it hardly needs any maintenance. Sure it's a little heavy and the suspension is average but you can't beat it for reliability. GJ made amageza look eazy on his. Damn that toppie can ride!
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 06:30:09 pm »
Unless this is the case, the only bike to have is a 690. It's by far the most used bike on amageza and for plebs like us, it's perfect because it hardly needs any maintenance. Sure it's a little heavy and the suspension is average but you can't beat it for reliability. GJ made amageza look eazy on his. Damn that toppie can ride!

The thing is that it won't ONLY be for Amageza. I don't have the luxury of being able to buy multiple bikes, and I don't very much fancy doing any enduros with a 690...

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 07:51:25 pm »
I think I've pretty much decided on the 450. There's very little difference between them (certainly not so much that I'll notice) and there are a lot of the 450s available second hand (Probably a better approach).

If people are impressed by displacement numbers only when they ask what bike I ride they can go fuck themselves. Or I can tell them about the Explorer ;D

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 09:00:36 pm »
F@k, is jy bored?
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....