Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The chronicle: a preamble.  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Buddy

Re: The chronicle: a preamble.
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 09:22:34 pm »
I would go for something that didn't need as much maintenance, but if you're absolutely hell-bent on either of those, then rather go for the 500, you're much bigger than Dwerg  ;D 
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline Raka

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Die Dominee
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 11:18:30 pm »
Goodness IDR, you are realy trying to rationalize this decision of buying a KTM (or NOT a Kawa )....  :biggrin:   Suppose it doesnt come naturally after all those years of subliminal indoctrination!!! 

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 07:10:22 am »
Goodness IDR, you are realy trying to rationalize this decision of buying a KTM (or NOT a Kawa )....  :biggrin:   Suppose it doesnt come naturally after all those years of subliminal indoctrination!!! 

It's a whole new world! ;D
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline brianw

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 07:55:37 am »
I loved your initial posts IDR, it strikes a common cord.
it  fulfills one of the main purposes of this forum...inspiration !!
good luck and we will watch with interest :drif:

Online tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 10:19:41 am »
The prospect of the 450 limit becoming more widespread implies that there will be a better used bike market both when you buy and - more particularly - when you sell (assuming the limit gets used more widely).

Offline Bensien

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 07:20:10 pm »
Don’t even think about it, just go for it. I would give anything to be able to do it.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 08:32:47 pm »
I think I've pretty much decided on the 450. There's very little difference between them (certainly not so much that I'll notice) and there are a lot of the 450s available second hand (Probably a better approach).

If people are impressed by displacement numbers only when they ask what bike I ride they can go fuck themselves. Or I can tell them about the Explorer ;D

Nothing stopping you from putting a "500" sticker on. :ricky:

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2014, 09:36:18 pm »
Hell go the whole hog, 690 sticker!
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Myrtle

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 08:45:08 am »
Brilliant intro - thoroughly enjoyed it. Good luck with your goal.
There's a race of men that don't fit in, A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and they rove the flood, And they climb the mountain's crest; Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood, And they don't know how to rest.                                                   Robert Service

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 09:14:09 am »
2013+ FI WR450F?

Ok, I'll go away now....   ;D

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 01:45:48 pm »
:thumleft:

You made the decisión and posted your ambition - Thats the hardest part! Congratulations man! :hello2:

Looking forward to following this thread, its a long journey but an magnificent one. :deal:

About the bike. I hear you, the 450 is lighter and easier to manage. The 500 will last longer and is better suited to handling the long stages. This is the only advantage. Its more of an advantage given your size, and is also better for a longer gear setup which is what you will want to have.

Forget about using this bike for the Dakar. It will be done after all the training and an Amageza. Anyway the 450 rule applies, and anyway you will need this bike for training for the Dakar if you get there, before you ride it. ;D

I know the 450 rule WILL NOT apply in the next Amageza, and only applies in the Dakar, so that leaves everything open for you.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:46:36 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 01:59:38 pm »
500 flattens deserts, the extra torque over the 450 would be nice. If you are doing occasional enduros the 450/500 is the way to go. If you want one bike to Amageza and dual sport it I would say 690. The 690 to me looks like too much money to get race ready, those tanks and towers are moer expensive. The 450/500 can become a rally lite bike without too much fuss.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZiXHe5Qv6rQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZiXHe5Qv6rQ</a>

Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 02:23:08 pm »
;D

Look, let's be serious about the Dakar here... I doubt very, VERY much that that would ever happen :imaposer:.

The 450 makes about 47hp against the 500's 50hp - at about 111 kgs dry weight (seriously, only half a kg difference dry).  I realise the 500 is probably a bit stronger on the torque, but power-wise that's only a 3 % difference, which will decrease the more weight you put on it.  I doubt very much that I could increase my skill level to where I would even get a whiff of that 3 %.  And for that same reason I doubt very much that either the one or the other will be more reliable.  This also probably explains why there is only a 2% price difference between them.  

If I was to buy new, it would be a no-brainer - 500 all the time (unless anyone thinks a 450 is a better idea for taking part in sanctioned races).  However - there are a couple of very underused 450s on the market for overused prices, and I'm thinking more and more that I can get into this thing a lot sooner if I just buy second hand... screw that new bike smell!  In fact, for the price of a new one, you could buy a relatively fresh 2 year old bike (basically the same as new, specs and features-wise) and deck it out in a rallye lite setup of your choice.

But I expect once my KLR sells I'll probably just buy the first thing that comes up.  Should probably get those impulses into check as well...
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 02:26:27 pm »
Or just be different and use a KLX450R, rode one - nice bikes. I'm sure you have contacts  :biggrin:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 02:33:06 pm »
Or just be different and use a KLX450R, rode one - nice bikes. I'm sure you have contacts  :biggrin:

Considered it, but to turn it into anything resembling a rallye bike will be a lot harder.

Edit: And I like the idea of the FI on the new KTMs
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:36:27 pm by IDR »

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Shake what ya mama gave you.
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 03:05:49 pm »
Or just be different and use a KLX450R, rode one - nice bikes. I'm sure you have contacts  :biggrin:

Considered it, but to turn it into anything resembling a rallye bike will be a lot harder.

Edit: And I like the idea of the FI on the new KTMs
And what does "FI" stand for in this instance?
Fast Idjit.

Sub.

Offline Sycamore

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2014, 12:51:28 pm »
something from leftfield that might also do something to the family jewels.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUWMN9hctnM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eUWMN9hctnM</a>

An XR650R leaves plenty leftover $$ for rallyefying it.
And even bad riders find them hard to break, i can testify to that.
But if you like to crash a lot, kick-start only is a punishing.

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2014, 01:05:00 pm »
something from leftfield that might also do something to the family jewels.

An XR650R leaves plenty leftover $$ for rallyefying it.
And even bad riders find them hard to break, i can testify to that.
But if you like to crash a lot, kick-start only is a punishing.

Sure, there's that, and weight.  A 450 XC-W weighs 20kg less than a 650R in standard trim (sure, the XR has roadworthy bits), for 8 hp.  And let's not forget about the extra fuel the XR needs to carry over the 450 to make the range.

Offline Sycamore

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 01:22:14 pm »
thats true the 650R is a brute.
I rode a CRF450 after a few years on a 650R and the difference in manouvereability in tight stuff was astounding. 450 was so much more rideable.
With the 650 you're looking 20 - 30m further ahead at any point. But on open flat stuff, big dunes and dirt tracks there's nothing like pinning the 650, that's it's stomping ground.

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Shake what ya mama gave you.
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 01:37:52 pm »