My bike lost its Baaaarp !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Sad but true. I had to remove the Accelerator Module on my F800GS to give to someone else to use for a Namibia trip.

I was so impressed with the Accelerator Module on a 2008 BMW F800GS that I immediately fitted one to my new 2013 F800GS. My initial impression a year back was that the AM restored the woema lost after fitting 20+kg's worth of farkles, but I was never able to fully appreciate the benefits of the AM before now (that I have taken it out).

The initial impression was that my bike had lost its Baaaarp! Suddenly it feels like I am riding a bit of a tuned down version of the F800GS. When opening the throttle at lower rpm (2000-4000) I don't hear the aggressive Baaarp! of old, now it is just a fart of it's old self. Knowing the working of the AM I understand why. The AM tricks the ECU into thinking that it is 20°C colder, and increases the Fuel/Air ratio to overcome the lean mixture imposed by strict EU regulations. A richer mixture increases the explosion in the cylinder head, and the Baaarp! Now it is a bit more difficult to scare the "ou tannie" who doesn't want to open up for lane splitters with a blip of the throttle :pot: And I understand why I never wanted an aftermarket 'pipe.

It might be subjective, but another thing I noticed was that my F800 does not seem to have the same amount of "skop" between 2000 and 4000 rpm. I love to ride it there - sedately - but it goes when you open the throttle. After removing the AM I have to open the throttle a bit more, and use more rpm to get the same effect I had with the AM. Sadly my F800GS has just become a bit more sedate version of it's older self.

I now understand why some riders get a better fuel consumption with the AM fitted. Smaller throttle openings at less rpm brings you to speed quicker, meaning you can back off from the throttle earlier.

I can't wait for the new consignment of AM's to arrive. A consignment of Accelerator modules for 800's 1200's, the new LC and S10's has been lying at WitsPos for more than a month now,. How long will SAPO take to get their act back together? Heaven knows.

Attachments

• accelerator-module2.jpg
    accelerator-module2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 643