Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Nic & Avatar  (Read 2121 times)

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Nic & Avatar
« on: February 02, 2006, 11:28:03 am »
Would be nice to hear the reasoning/"deeper meaning" of everyone's nic's.

Some are straight forward but others doesn't make sense at all. (Droffarc, Accton etc.) Sorry guys. Needed some examples. :wink:

Mine started out at a Forex trading forum back in 2003 and I thought Journeyman represented my "journey" for knowledge in that field.

It fitted in quite nicely in the biking subject as well when I joined in Aug last year.

Journey's on the bike.

At this stage there are a lot more members that is entitled to such a nic than me. Me "Going nowehere slowly" at this stage! :lol:

Avatar? Don't know. Just looked good to me. 8)  No resemblance to the person. :shock:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Nic & Avatar
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 11:50:22 am »
wino: from "kerans wino" - "The wino's attitude on life in general is bitter. He refuses to get undressed before going to bed and insinuates that the general population are stupid for doing so. The wino states that "you're not fooling anyone by taking your clothes off when you go to bed." This represents a direct opposition at the normal behavior of others. The wino has chosen to wallow in his helpless situation instead of doing small things, which are within his capabilities to improve his outlook on life. It is as if he wants to be different than the normal and wishes to call attention to the fact that he is. The difference he displays sends the message of outright laziness and being unclean."

joking, although on outright laziness... my nic is a resemblance of my actual name and my disgustingly tastelesness for wine :drunken:

wolf avatar: its the logo of wolfsa, a wolf sanctuary where i have adopted a wolf and also make monthly contributions to. cool place to visit if you're in the area.

Offline Grootseun

Nic & Avatar
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 12:06:57 pm »
Grootseun... thats what they call me at work. I am the only "boertjie" in our small company and my boss insists on speaking afrikaans to me with his english accent (which is a great gesture) and he calls me Grootseun.
AKA Spyker by my non motorcycling fraternity brothers of my previous employer. The avatar is simple... it's what i see when i close my eyes... what i think about when im daydreaming...  :help:  :help:

Offline toucan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Nic & Avatar
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 12:09:46 pm »
i love guinness, but not the bottled stuff. its difficult to get a good pint around here.
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Nic & Avatar
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 12:12:25 pm »
Maverick, Noun
An unbranded range animal (especially a stray calf); belongs to the first person who puts a brand on it

Maverick, rebel
Someone who exhibits great independence in thought and action  

I was always told i'm a bit of a wandering soul, never stuck around long enough anywhere and just left on impulse to a new place whenever I felt like it. Looking at the above two definitions I am sure my wife will tell you she's put her brand on me :shock: Me a rebel........what's the chance :lol:

As for my avatar I can't recall where I found that or the origins of it. But it's been travelling with me over several forums since February 2002. It just reminds me of that dream we all have riding leisurly into the sunset 8)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
Nic & Avatar
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 12:15:18 pm »
i picked up macduff during my apprenticeship...
it didnt stick, but i never forgot it. its absolutely neutral and says nothing really

avatar, well, that changes every few weeks/months.
(just made a moving one this morning  :lol:  8)  8)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
Nic & Avatar
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 12:17:51 pm »
Mine is lame, I joined a digital camera forum to ask some questions and decided that digitaldan would work. I then joined the bike forums and used the same nic to keep passwords and usernames the same.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Nic & Avatar
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 12:26:52 pm »
Quote from: "digitaldan"
Mine is lame

Don't knock it dude, how many guys can go around saying "Hi I am known as double D"  :D
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline accton

Nic & Avatar
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 12:35:14 pm »
I needed a name. looked down and had a look at the name on the pcmci card infront of me (ACCTON PCMCI)

Sounded ok so I used it, no deep meaning

hat you believe will depend very much on what you are.

Offline droffarc

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
Nic & Avatar
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 01:15:43 pm »
Dont look for deep meanings in my nic - there should not be any ( I dont thinks so anyway).

It is just the name I got from me Pappy. I was in the knavy and we had to stamp our names on our shirts so as we would not forget who we were and every time I looked in the mirror I saw my name: droffarc.

I guess I should have chosen comet because I believe that a comet is the object in the sky that brought life to the planet and it travels alone leaving a trail of dust... something like I do.

As for my avatar, she is a beauty isnt she?
We are always three, counting my shadow and my friend - my shimmering TA.
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Nic & Avatar
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 02:27:19 pm »
Funacide...

A few years ago joined a IT forum and had no idea that the decision of a name would last for so many years. Asked my son who is more in to these forums than I was at the time, he came up with it in 5 minutes. (I think it was one of the peoples nick name in a computer movie in the 90's) and I like to think he thinks I am a fun kind of dude. So it has stuck.

The pic, is a close up of my baby, I have changed the avatar quite a bit, and am more attached to this one than any other I have

:wink:  :wink:
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
Nic & Avatar
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 02:34:19 pm »
Mine - LiveInTheOutdoors, is a deeeeeep desire to live in the city and to be far away from nature.

DUH!

Its a rather obvious desire to get out there and live in the countryside, or beach or something and far away from a stupid city. working my ass off to get there to my goal, and so help me I am on my way.

My avatar is the outline of the body of the bike i love and have.... LC8 is the designation of the engine in my preshis 949cc KTM
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Anonymous

Nic & Avatar
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 02:43:21 pm »
Well a sot, is a sot is a f$%# sot, innit?

Avatar is the scooter on a coastal road in the Transkei

Oppad

Nic & Avatar
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 02:44:32 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

You see what I mean?

Nic & Avatar
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 02:49:14 pm »
Quote from: "Sotkop"
Quote from: "Anonymous"

You see what I mean?

what is a SOT, Sotkop? always wondered..........

Oppad

Nic & Avatar
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 02:52:51 pm »
Quote from: "LiveInTheOutdoors"

Dumb fool. The kind of guy who posts a message about his avatar and nick while logged in as Guest

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Nic & Avatar
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 03:01:33 pm »
Quote from: "Sotkop"
Quote from: "LiveInTheOutdoors"

Dumb fool. The kind of guy who posts a message about his avatar and nick while logged in as Guest

Bwahahaha!

What happened there is  Priceless in describing your nic!

Now where's that smiley which lies on the ground holdings his stomach laughing!
He who angers you, controls you.

Nic & Avatar
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 03:19:19 pm »
:bootyshake:  :binky:  :pottytrain1:  :sign3:  :violent1:

shark_za

Nic & Avatar
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 03:27:12 pm »
From my pastime of diving with tiger and zambezi sharks, and to show my location on the foreign forums I started chatting on.
Glocktalk, KLR650.net and Adv Rider.

My avatar is a pic of me by wino that I added the KLR letters too.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Nic & Avatar
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 04:03:46 pm »
My nick is really stupid since I no longer smoke (I'm thinking of starting up again just so my life can have more meaning)

The Avatar is from a film called 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' - a delightful tale of substance abuse and a reminder of my own existential experiences in the USA...