Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Route 62 - What to see?  (Read 6030 times)

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: Route 62 - What to see?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 03:59:22 pm »
Montagu - there is a padstal on the right, right at the end of town - the very last building - had some good grub there.

Also, as you leave, there is a natural stone tunnel you drive through - there is an old fort built on top - take a walk up there (probably 70m from the car park, 30m scramble up the path), the view from up there is amazing! Total time - 15min.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Online woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 04:04:29 pm »
If you like a nice strong cheese, stop in Ladismith at the Parmalat shop and buy a BLACK WHEEL extra matured cheese.   Lekker ... :drif:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Online Lem

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 04:09:47 pm »
if you're a bit into shows like American Restoration or American Pickers, go check out the lovely roadhouse in Barrydale called Diesel & Crème.

Apparently they also have a superb gourmet burger & milkshake  :drif:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Kykdaar

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 04:51:03 pm »
Some great tips here thanks.

Offline HB 9

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 05:35:00 pm »
I suggest you take your picture at Ronnie's but I will not support them... Much better service and food / pricing at the Pumpkin place...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:36:04 pm by HB 9 »
Tread lightly

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »
You cannot ride/drive without visiting Koedoeskloof outside Ladismith. :deal: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • MobiBins
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 07:23:45 pm »
I will wave to you as we go past each other. I am going the opposite way.

Offline dw1

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 07:41:20 pm »
20 km before Calitzdorp (coming from Oudtshoorn) turn right at Kruisrivier sign. Carry on to a T Junction and turn left to go to Calitzdorp where you join the R62 again.

This is a very scenic little detour - about 60km which takes you past the Redstone hills (See picture) and through the Groenfontein valley past the Calitzdorp Dam.

If it is on a weekend you might want to stop at the Oude Postkantoor (Old Post Office) for lunch and to peruse some of the local art. They are only open on weekends. Behind this is a wine cellar - Peter Bayly wines. They make excellent Port.

This is a great area to ride a DS bike so maybe you can scout out where you should next take a bike trip.

Current R80G/S x 3, TW200, 
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200, DR200; KTM 950 Adv

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 08:36:20 pm »
20 km before Calitzdorp (coming from Oudtshoorn) turn right at Kruisrivier sign. Carry on to a T Junction and turn left to go to Calitzdorp where you join the R62 again.

This is a very scenic little detour - about 60km which takes you past the Redstone hills (See picture) and through the Groenfontein valley past the Calitzdorp Dam.

If it is on a weekend you might want to stop at the Oude Postkantoor (Old Post Office) for lunch and to peruse some of the local art. They are only open on weekends. Behind this is a wine cellar - Peter Bayly wines. They make excellent Port.

This is a great area to ride a DS bike so maybe you can scout out where you should next take a bike trip.

What the man says but if you have any more time on your hands, follow the route attached and pop in for a cold one.
This will add the Oude Muragie road to the bottom of the Swartberg pass and link up with the Groenfontein road which dw1 mentions above.
A few of the abovementioned attractions are also marked on this file like Seweweekspoort, Koedoeskloof, Ronnies and Diesel and Creme.
Unfortunately most people speed from Jozi to CT in the shortest time because apparently that's where it's happening... ::) but in their haste miss all the good stuff along the way. Yes one always says you'll go back there again one day but the next time they speed past again because there's apparently an even bigger and better party or some or other all important meeting to attend in CT or wherever.
If you don't have the time to do all the loops I've added, at least ride the one dw1 suggested above (it might add 1 1/2 hours to your travelling time), shoot up the Seweweekspoort and back to the R62 (this will set you back another hour) and come show your face, have a cold one and stretch your legs. (People have gotten stuck here for days before... :biggrin:)
Happy and safe travels!

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Online iamgigglz

• Grey hound
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 08:06:53 am »
Unfortunately most people speed from Jozi to CT in the shortest time because apparently that's where it's happening... ::) but in their haste miss all the good stuff along the way.

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid, not only for myself, but also to avoid sharing the road with people in that mindset.

It should be mentioned as well that we'll all be caged for this trip. I don't think swambo would appreciate 11 hours in the saddle for her first pillion ride on the Transalp  :lol8: Our faithful Renault Duster should handle pretty much anything the trip has to offer though. I must organise a paw for it...

That's a very nice invitation Velbrand, thank you. The thing is that, even though we're taking the longer, more scenic route, we unfortunately still only have one night to spend getting to Stellenbosch. After much distance/time number-crunching we settled on Willowmore, which gives us a full day to do the 560km to Stellenbosch. That gives us time to stop at places like ClimbingTurtle's fort-on-a-tunnel and Oom's waterfall, but adding 90 minutes to the trip for a diversion will start squashing the time we have, and I really don't want to hurry.

Nonetheless, I'm pinning all these places on my Google Map and I'll be back for a non-Cape Town trip soon enough.

Thanks very much for the fantastic suggestions everyone. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one benefiting here.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Grrrr....

• Grey hound
    • MobiBins
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 09:04:12 am »
What are your dates?

I am leaving on 22 December and heading back the 3rd of Jan.

We are doing the R62 to Oudtshoorn then Willowmore and then sleeping in Graaff Rienette. Haven't decided on the next day but most probably do Middelburg, Noupoort on to Colesberg. Then join the N1 to Bloem and from there Senekal to our final destination in Paul Roux.

This way I cut out most of the N1. The N1 might be faster but @#$% me besides being boring as hell the last time I used it it was a battlefield trying to dodge all the trucks. I couldn't believe the shear volume of them on the N1. Add in the crowd trying to set land speed records down to Cape Town and it becomes a disaster waiting to happen.

Done this route before and prefer it. Also splitting the driving day in two means you don't need to leave at 05:00 in the morning and rush to get to your end destination by sundown. This way I see the trip as part of my holiday and not a mountain to climb before the holiday starts.

Hope you have a awesome and safe trip!  :thumleft:

Online iamgigglz

• Grey hound
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 10:55:56 am »
Nice! Looks like you're taking the same route as us, just a day or two after. I'll post road conditions after each leg, assuming I remember, have reception and can stand up straight.

Good plan hitting the R62 on a Monday; MUCH less traffic I'm sure.

Unfortunately we have to take the N1 from JHB to Colesburg at least, simply due to time constraints. Those same time constraints have us travelling on the weekends before and after xmas  :P

We leave JHB pre-dawn on the 20th for the looong drive N1->N9 to overnight in Willowmore, then head West down Route 62 to Stellenbosch on Sunday the 21st.
We need to be back in Joburg on Sunday the 28th. Stupid short holiday but you take what you can get. I'm still thinking about the route home...

You guys must have a great trip too! Drive/ride/fart carefully and enjoy it!  :thumleft:
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline cheesy

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 08:37:11 pm »
The route I suggest: From Willomore to De Rust through Meirings Poort (stop over at the waterfall it's magic.) to Prince Albert, over the Swartberg pass Turn right after shortly after the tar road begins. The first stretch is tarred and then gravel, you will arrive at a T junction, turn right to Calitzdorp, Up and over the Huisrivier pass to Ladismith to Veldies place for a cold one then  to Barrydale and follow the route as described by others on this subject. Ronnies, I too will not support him.
The Country Pumpkin in Barrydale, the owner Derrick is also a biker, good food and most reasonable prices. The scenery on this trip will blow your mind.
Drive with care, enjoy the trip and arrive home safely. :)
Bum in the saddle, always.

Offline sheldyn

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • dictum meum pactum
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2014, 09:01:09 pm »
The route I suggest: From Willomore to De Rust through Meirings Poort (stop over at the waterfall it's magic.) to Prince Albert, over the Swartberg pass Turn right after shortly after the tar road begins. The first stretch is tarred and then gravel, you will arrive at a T junction, turn right to Calitzdorp, Up and over the Huisrivier pass to Ladismith to Veldies place for a cold one then  to Barrydale and follow the route as described by others on this subject. Ronnies, I too will not support him.
The Country Pumpkin in Barrydale, the owner Derrick is also a biker, good food and most reasonable prices. The scenery on this trip will blow your mind.
Drive with care, enjoy the trip and arrive home safely. :)

What he said,  i was in this part of the world 3 weeks ago and it is magic!!!
Regards,

Sheldyn

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2014, 10:36:49 pm »
What are your dates?

We are doing the R62 to Oudtshoorn then Willowmore and then sleeping in Graaff Rienette. Haven't decided on the next day but most probably do Middelburg, Noupoort on to Colesberg. Then join the N1 to Bloem and from there Senekal to our final destination in Paul Roux.

This way I cut out most of the N1. The N1 might be faster but @#$% me besides being boring as hell the last time I used it it was a battlefield trying to dodge all the trucks. I couldn't believe the shear volume of them on the N1. Add in the crowd trying to set land speed records down to Cape Town and it becomes a disaster waiting to happen.

Done this route before and prefer it. Also splitting the driving day in two means you don't need to leave at 05:00 in the morning and rush to get to your end destination by sundown. This way I see the trip as part of my holiday and not a mountain to climb before the holiday starts.

I am heading that way around 26 Dec to 3 rd Jan. Going on my DR650R. Perhaps we can connect along the way?
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, Suzuki RF 900 R, Yamaha FJ 1100, Honda CBX 1000, Suzuki GT 750, Yamaha DT 125

Offline Grrrr....

• Grey hound
    • MobiBins
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 07:19:57 pm »
What are your dates?

I am heading that way around 26 Dec to 3 rd Jan. Going on my DR650R. Perhaps we can connect along the way?

I am using this...

:lol8:

Online dieseldawie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 09:06:47 pm »
What are your dates?

I am using this...

I also used to have one of those, but the ex now has it together with my Jeep. I got to keep my bikes so that is what I am taking.
Where are my shorts??

Online iamgigglz

• Grey hound
Re: Re: Re: Route 62 - What to see?
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 10:10:44 pm »
What are your dates?

I am using this...

Ah, now I don't feel quite so bad about doing the route in the Duster. Cages do occasionally win out.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 06:53:08 am »
Montagu - there is a padstal on the right, right at the end of town - the very last building - had some good grub there.

Also, as you leave, there is a natural stone tunnel you drive through - there is an old fort built on top - take a walk up there (probably 70m from the car park, 30m scramble up the path), the view from up there is amazing! Total time - 15min.....

I second that !!   :thumleft:

also just a bit of history about the Barrydale Brandy Cellar..........  Barrydale was founded by the Barry's that had their own bank and currency years ago - have a look at the Brandy Bottle label - it still shows the bank notes ......... Nathaniel Barry (Nat) flew in the Battle of Britain and was considered a bit of a hero. We met a chap called Geoff Nutkins in the UK who does aviation art and he was doing research and a massive painting to honour Nat Barry. We managed to do research for Geoff here in SA through the SAAF Museum as well..........

Well worth the visit......... and go and lift a glass in this youngster's honour!

Lovely dedication story here for the memorial in the UK:

"We dedicate this foundation stone to Nathaniel Barry, that this place may be a place to remember Nat and the sacrifice he made for us. In memory of Nathanial John Merriman Barry, and in gratitude."

http://www.doverwarmemorialproject.org.uk/Information/DaybyDay/Shoreham/Shoreham.htm

"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Mev Vis Arend

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 07:19:23 am »
 :sip:

Ons gaan self weer so bietjie in daardie omgewing wees met die Karretjie. 
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L