A different question about lane splitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmad

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Lane splitting has been thrashed about plenty of times on this forum, so i would liek to ask a different question in regards to it.

On the N1, which is a 3 lane highway, where is the right place to lane split?
The reason for my question is as follows:
- I travel daily on this road between Rivonia and Hans Strydom, quite a busy road with plenty of bikes
- I lane split between the fast lane and the middle lane. Most cars expect the bikes to be there and they make way, which is very thoughtful of them.
However, lately i have noticed that the bikes split where ever. So yesterday afternoon a guy passes me on his bike splitting in the other lane and i am in my lane. Then he slows down and travels the same speed as me. When i accelerate, so does he, i slow down, so does he  :mad: :mad:

Now the poor bloke in the cage does not know who to make space for and i can see in his mirrors that he is getting frustrated and nervous. I get worried because i can see something unpleasant could result from this.

This has happened a couple of times now, and as a cager i feel it is a bit dangerous.

So is there a right place to lane split?