Dodging rain; stormy weather and a frozen Hell....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XRRX

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Me; Skolla and Baked B did a little frozen loop over the past weekend....  :happy2:
Friday afternoon was warm and windy from George via Oude Muragie to the Hell.... As it was the "Hell & Back" cycle race - we had the choice of leaving Gamkaskloof either at 06:00 or after 12:00 on Saturday.... Friday evening it starting raining lightly and on-and-off. We opt to leave at 06:00 - actually too late, as we encountered oncoming traffic the last 10k's towards the Swartberg Pass - officials and caterers entering in vehicles - and bloody reckless if you ask me - a lady in a white Hilux D/Cab almost took me out on a wide section of road - I had to went so far left to avoid her, that I hit a Protea bush and almost came down....  :xxbah: :xxbah:
Nevertheless we arrived at the Swartberg Pass allive and frozen.... As I was having a smoke there - it started snowing - in the middle of November !!!  :eek:
We could'nt get to Prins Albert quickly enough for coffee and a brekkie...  :ricky:
From here we took the tar to Klaarstroom and then the Vondeling 92k gravel road to Willowmore. We were extremely lucky to miss storms blowing down the mountains - usually just catching the side drizzle and severe wind... The road and drifts had clear signs of some good rain recently...
In Willowmore we were told at the filling station about a new place called "Jumpers" - opened by a biker for bikers...
As we had the whole day ahead to get to Baviaanskloof guest cottages - we pulled in at Jumpers and met Ronnie - an adventure bike instructor riding a HP2 and a great guy - absolutely no "air" nor arrogance!!!  :thumleft:
After a few "cold hot one's" and the best "slaptjips" freshly prepared by Ronnie - we left - now much less concerned about the wind and rainy weather....  :patch: :patch:
Had a blast to Baviaans - passed a major group of BM riders also on their way there....
Unfortunately Uitspan was fully booked, but we stopped for a "cold hottie" and a chat ....  :thumleft:
Arrived around 15:00 at "Die Langhuis" - very nice place and well equipped! Fire outside for "braai" and inside for heat - verrry comfortable...
Weather improved slightly towards Sunday morning and we took gravel back to Uniondale and then tar to George - again dodging rain and CAW (cold&wet)  :sip:
Thanks guys it was great and a pity that Uncle Lions couldn't make ....

Attachments

• Photo0271.jpg
    Photo0271.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 549
  • Photo0272.jpg
    Photo0272.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 549
  • Photo0274.jpg
    Photo0274.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 555
  • Photo0275.jpg
    Photo0275.jpg