Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DIY Carb mod DR650SE  (Read 657 times)

Offline ZA

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Vini Vidi Vici
DIY Carb mod DR650SE
« on: November 17, 2014, 01:52:48 pm »
Here is n a PDF with color pics of how to mod your carburetor the cheapest way possible.   :pot:

http://dr650-mods-reviews-tips.sportsontheweb.net/images/Simple_carb_mods_DR650.pdf

The hardest part for me was to unscrew the star screws on page 8. The locktite was almost impossible to brake so I stripped both screws, but gladly changed it to allenkey   :nike:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:27:28 pm by ZA »

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
Re: DIY Carb mod DR650SE
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:07:16 am »
In two points I beg to differ:
Taking the throttle cables off instead of the bracket: The cables must come off the bracket to lube them which you should do with a cable oiler and Q20 at least at every service.
Take the carb off the bike to work on it. An idle mix adjustment screw o-ring or washer dropped onto your workbench is easy to retrieve. Not so if it vanished somewhere under your starter motor :-\
Also: a slightly swollen and distorted but perfectly fine slide diaphragm is already a mission to fit correctly if you have the carb in front of you with no bike surrounding it and limiting access.

Some more technical details:
The linked description shows a US model. Our local DR's do not have a tamper proofing cap over the idle mix screw.
Our local models also have a proper main jet needle with five grooves and the clip located in the third groove by the factory. Shimming is only necessary if you want to lift the needle by half a groove.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:11:03 am by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline ZA

• Vini Vidi Vici
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 12:01:28 pm »
 ;D German precision

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 10:28:54 am »
Ja genau!
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:38:22 am »
Lecap, do you think this carb is worth fiddling with? My one seems pretty well jetted through the whole range of the bike operation. Bike is standard. Ian
The dog that caught the car. What now?