Cederberg Oasis and the ride with my son!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
CEDERBERG OASIS WITH MY SON DIRK – FIRST TIME TOGETHER – HIS FIRST TIME ON DIRT!

I have to start this RR with special mention and thanks to those that assisted and allowed this to be possible at all!

I bought this little BMW F650GS from Dipstick on the forum while still in the UK earlier this year and with the amazing help of Kykdaar & Groenie, they checked out and did a phenomenal report for me on the bike.
Kykdaar went out of his way to collect the bike for me – store it and get it sorted for the trip down to Napier with the bike couriers.

Buttslider in Mosselbay went out of his way to organise a set of Crashbars for the bike and even arranged and paid for the courier to get the bars to us......... “ above & beyond”  mate...........

A huge & massive thanks to those chaps that helped in the true Wilddog spirit........ your names are in my “little black book” and to return the favour will be my mission.......!

The little 650 arrived and we were super chuffed to get it here.

A very capable little bike that will be used to train my wife and a few friends as well.

Space was made next to the GSA for the new addition to the family...... nogal a carpeted bay too!

Crashbars that arrived had to be fitted...............

..... before

........... after

When Chantal posted that the Spitbraai Event at the CEDERBERG OASIS will be held on the weekend of 15th November......... planning immediately started on my side – to find a way to get my son involved and to do a long-overdue trip with him.

A couple of issues were to be sorted... all minor really – but I suppose the most important would in fact be to get hold of a bike that he could ride!
ATGATT was almost sorted – so I bought a set of old size 9 boots from another WD had them re-soled.

Once I told Dirk about the planned trip – he became really excited, but a bit apprehensive as to when, where & how this was all to take place.

So last week Thursday – he arrived in Napier and we started prepping the bikes & luggage. The excitement was there and we planned to leave very early Saturday morning from here to meet up with mates riding from Cape Town .... somewhere near Ceres.

The weather forecast for Friday & Saturday for the Overberg was really hectic....... in fact temps for the Cederberg was indicated to drop down to 2 or 4degrees and we sort of eyeballed each other with the unspoken, silent knowing that cancelling the trip might be a very big possibility!  :-[

75km/hr winds were forecast ............... cold & rain........... miserable indeed.............. :eek7:

Friday morning we had some work to do and after a trip to Bredasdorp....... we arrived home at around 1pm and noticed the wind was starting to pick up.

I could see Dirk’s dismay at the very real possibility that we might have to cancel or postpone the ride out............. however I told him to pack up and that we’d just do it – sooner rather than later.

The man was packed and ready – dressed up within 20minutes!  :imaposer:

Hehe – keen was not the way to describe his enthusiasm........... and after explaining to the wife what we intended on doing...... we eventually got on the road just after 2:30pm.......... stopping just outside Napier for the first few pics......

Could not even get him off the bike..........

First selfie of the trip!

All I can say ...........is that it was flippen cold and the wind – oh goodness.......... the flippen wind was hectic.

We struggled severely as the wind battered us from the left side. Keeping the bikes under control was definitely a test to our endurance and I think it was only the mental smell and taste of Chantal’s cooking, veggies and Gerrit’s delicious lamb that kept us going!

We had a few smatterings of rain drops.. but fortunately missed any rain and only had a break from the wind after we left the tar and hit the dirt for the final leg to the Oasis.

Taking pics or the ride up until we hit the Cederberg – was not an option as we hoofed it  to our destination. Light fading... we made it and I got the constant exclamations of wonder from Dirk through the headset............ to say he was amazed and excited was a total understatement!!

Dirk’s first view of the Oasis.............

The bad weather necessitated wearing the Fluoro vests........which also helped as a wind break....... although Heimer was very quick to remind us we were still wearing them when we arrived at our destination!  :deal:

OASIS murals ........

....... weather on it’s way............

The warmth of the fire inside as well as the company was really fantastic........... unfortunately I cannot remember all the names - but would make special mention of John & Tania (they were there in their 4x4) and their bottles of Tequila that seemed to flow endlessly.........and we were glad to see Rudi arrive on his KTM - albeit totally drenched. He's been caught by the weather we just narrowly managed to escape from.

The evening wound down and our 350km windswept trip took it's toll as we staggered off to bed for what promised to be a really good night's sleep......... THANKS CHANTAL - that bed, mattress, duvet and soft cushions were just what the doctor ordered....  :thumleft:

Saturday's update to follow........  :thumleft: