Why are riders so scared of riding through the former Transkei??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-9

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Why are riders so scared of riding through the former Transkei; Durban to EL?

Some people love it; some hate it. The Transkei is much a mind set.

Yes the towns are not great.  Umtata is better with the one way system but still a nightmare, go via the steel bridge and bypass the town through the suburbs, is the way to go.

Fewer towns the better, that’s why the Elliot route, is so good on a bike, fast and twisty.  My wife and I often travel on the bike, my wife hates the Transkei in a car, but loves it on a bike.  Never had a problem, safety wise.

I still get told today don’t go via the Transki as 3 british tourists got raped there, it’s dangerous, are you mad to even think of driving through.  I still get told to go from Durban go via Bloemfontein to get to East London.  WTF that was in the early 80’s and they were going from hut to hut looking for drugs at night, near PSJ's.  And hallo – anywhere in the world has its dangers, even joberg has its problems and rapes and MVA accidents!!

I ride there and back through the Transkei probably 6-8 times a year for the last 25 years and before that at least twice a year since the 70’s.  Due to one business near East London and my other business on the south coast.

A nice ride through the Transkei takes some planning and local knowledge.

It is very important to PACE yourself. i.e. don’t be in a hurry.  If you set a time and chase it you will get so, so frustrated.  We are in Africa, ride the correct “pace” for the conditions.

I always ask people that are about to ride/drive through the Transkei, for example. 

1. How long will it take to get an ambulance to an accident on the N3 in the middle of joberg. maybe 20 minutes?? 
2. And for an ambulance to get to an accident on the N3 near say midlands.  Probably an hour? 
3. How long will you wait for an ambulance to get to you on the N2 in the Transkei.  Probably 8 hours or more, maybe never? 

So ride at a decent safe PACE, and enjoy the experience.  You can’t afford an incident, so don’t take the chances anywhere in the Transkei.

By choice I will rather ride and not drive through every time.  Some of my best rides have been though that area and admit some of the most frustrating drives.  I have never had a bad ride.

The difference on a bike is about 2-3 hours and that is not because one is going faster, it is because one can pass sooner.  And in a drive travelling for hours and hours and not being able to pass a slow truck, is so frustrating.  With the new roads coming, thankfully those days are almost over.

People always ask me how long a Transki trip takes from Pumula (near Port Shepstone) to EL; it takes between 5 to 13 hours.  (5 hours and one minute is my best time, and what a fantastic trip, going home the next day (time over 6 hours).  One brand new anakee 2 tyre completely finished on the sides with the center tread still with those little knobbies, (the bike shop said they had never seen a tyre like that before).  and that was the long way round through Elliot, with my 2011 GSA.

The time varies so much that only once near your destination will you know how long it will take.  Don’t chase the GPS’s - ETA, you get there when you get there.  Example-I left home once on the GSA at the same time as my uncle in a car, my time 05:30 his time over 10 hours. Same day, same route, same conditions; the difference was, I could pass – he couldn't.  BUT we both had a great country trip via Elliot.

My daughter (and son) have been riding and driving through by themselves since they got their licence, at 18.  Yes we do use trackers, even I carry one through the Transkei, so families can see how we are doing, due to the huge vary in time it takes.  Cell coverage is fairly good these days, almost completely covered.

Taxis in the Transkei are great, they always wave and move over when they see you and they stop and ask if you are ok, if you stop.

Transkei has several routes from one side to another, basically 5 choices:

1. Gravel- some great routes.
2. Gravel s close a possible to the coast. - small dirt bikes and 4x4’s.  Unfortunately (and rightly so) the few beach sections are not an option any more.
3. Via PSJ.  - That great twisty section worth going that way just for that, and the traditional stop at the airport.  Which is now a good tar route to get there??
4. N2 - slow and frustrating. the worst road.
5. Via Elliot.  - A nice and fast ride in the country, on some of the nicest roads we have.

Between PSJ and Umtata- stay away due to major roadwork’s for the next few years, unless on a dual bike.  Lots and lots of detours and animals.

Elliot my route of choice.  A nice ride or drive in the country.  150kms longer 2 hours shorter.  Best for big bikes.  Plenty animals.  This is the route I did the 5 hours one minute on.  new road works on some sections.

Umtata - Kokstad route now ok.  Except for a few stop and goes.  And speed traps.

Major road works near port Shepstone.  Depending on your timing bypass this section due to traffic.  There is a nice gravel road along the river and past the sugar mill.  Ds bikes only, that misses most of the road works.

WATCH OUT FOR NEW HIGH-TEC SPEED TRAPS, bikes don’t stand a chance any more.  and it traps several bikes at a time.  They take chocolate bars as a bribes, or R100 lunch money, but bar-ones work well. 

Plan your Transkei trip more than any other route, all this makes a huge difference, more than on any other trip.:  Weather, time of day, what day, what PH, day / night.

Fuel
Full up often.  The PSJ shell garage was closed the other day they said it had been closed for a few weeks??  And other garages are often without fuel.  And often closed on Sundays.

Time of day.
SCHOOL KIDS ON THE WAY TO AND FROM SCHOOL.  as said, I go that way often, this can turn a good trip into a total nightmare, try plan your trip, so you miss the school kids.  Next to mist, school kids have the most effect on a trip.

Weather:
Mist and rain especially mist can ruin a Transkei trip. If it is raining stay closer to the coast due to mist.  Less mist at night until early morning when the radiation mist comes out of nowhere.

What day:
i.e. Friday after work.  Drunk drivers and pedestrians.  Sunday afternoon heading back to work. etc.

Public holidays:
leave before or after a long weekend.  Leave one day early and come home one day late, and miss the masses travelling home or back to work.

Day / night:
Never travel though at night on a bike; a carcass or animal lying down in the road is difficult to spot, even with the best lights.  However in a decent vehicle with massive lights, travelling at night is a great pleasure. No big trucks, no traffic, no school kids, no police, no pedestrians, no dogs, (EARLY EVENING PLENTY of DOGS), no slow trucks, no mist at night, no school kids.  But animals sleep on the road due to the warmth from the tar.  That’s why you must have big bright lights and never ride at night.

Recently i have never seen so many animals on the road, that's getting bad again.

With a bit of planning and forethought, no Transkei trip should be an unpleasant trip.  always carry water and snacks.

And never ride at night.