Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Using Karoo3's after Anakee III  (Read 3236 times)

Offline OomD

Using Karoo3's after Anakee III
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:17:38 pm »
I had my Karoo3's fitted yesterday, and the difference in experience to the AnakeeIII is tremendous! I remember the Karoo3's behaving differently on my 2008 GS when I fitted them, but now the difference is really big.

1. The bike feels like it wants to low side in every turn. This is probably due to the difference in profile.
2. Is the rolling resistance on the Karoo3's higher? I feel quite a bit more deceleration when closing the throttle. At first I thought the brakes were binding maybe, but leaving the brake lever (at standstill) allows me to push the bike.

Or is it just me?

Edit: Spelling.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:21:12 pm by OomD »

Offline Roarman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Using Karoo3's after Anakee III
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 07:39:49 am »
I felt a huge difference too. Similar to your experience, not quite the same resistance that you felt though.
Rory

Offline K-9

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 09:05:46 am »
agree first few corners was different, now i don't notice it.

resistance, what pressures are you running?
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline OomD

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:09:43 am »
agree first few corners was different, now i don't notice it.

resistance, what pressures are you running?
Yep not too fazed about the corners, I'll get used to that. I'm running 2.4 front and 2.6 rear. The obnly reason I'm wondering is because I don't recall this happening on my previous GS when I fitted Karoor3's.

I even had the bike on the main stand, checking how free the wheel turns and the brakes are definitely not binding it.

It almost feels like the engine has been detuned a bit, I can only assume that to be because of higher rolling resistance.

Offline Xcaliber

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 09:30:37 am »
Great tires had the same experience only down side is I don't think that I will get more tan 8500km on the rear.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 09:33:15 am »
Anakees are a non event - you don't know they are there. It is actually a compliment for how good they are. They don't interfere - rather they work extremely well to let you enjoy the rest of your bike. With more aggressive off road tyres you know that they are there in many small and big ways.
AND you will be lucky if you get 3000km on the karoo3's.
IMHO one should only fit karoos for a very specific off road event - because that is how long they will last :peepwall:
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:05:46 am »
Also had the Karoo 3 on for 300 km only. I didn't like them exactly because of this reason, and also for the road noise.

Offline OomD

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 07:38:20 am »
Also had the Karoo 3 on for 300 km only. I didn't like them exactly because of this reason, and also for the road noise.
What do you use now, Draadwerk? And how do they compare to the Karoos's?

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 11:30:16 am »
Ek het Conti Trail Attack 2's opgesit. Lekker band, maar baie sleg in die ren.

Ek wag vir die TKC70. Ek dink dit gaan die ideale band wees vir my behoeftes

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 12:19:35 pm »
Hallo Draadwerk

Het jy al die Heidenau K60s probeer? Hul tread lyk amper meer aggressief as die TKC 70's - hulle werk goed vir pad en grond ry. Natuurlik is hulle nie so aggressief soos die Karoo 3's nie, maar dis nie wat jy wil h nie.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 12:56:10 pm »
Hallo Draadwerk

Het jy al die Heidenau K60s probeer? Hul tread lyk amper meer aggressief as die TKC 70's - hulle werk goed vir pad en grond ry. Natuurlik is hulle nie so aggressief soos die Karoo 3's nie, maar dis nie wat jy wil h nie.

Ek sal gou bietjie navorsing doen, thanks !!!

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 03:02:20 pm »
Anakees are a non event - you don't know they are there. It is actually a compliment for how good they are. They don't interfere - rather they work extremely well to let you enjoy the rest of your bike. With more aggressive off road tyres you know that they are there in many small and big ways.
AND you will be lucky if you get 3000km on the karoo3's.
IMHO one should only fit karoos for a very specific off road event - because that is how long they will last :peepwall:

Agree, I fit a set of Karoo 3's before any long dirt road trip. I like them in the dirt, but they last only one, maybe two long trips.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 10:13:58 am »
Hallo Draadwerk

Heidenau is not available in a size suitable for our bikes and neither is Mitas.

I run Karoo 3 all the time. Get 10k-14k on the front and about 5k on the rear riding hard and aggressive.

I will not fit anything else, the Karoo 3 gives me the best balance across all types of terrain and riding.

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 11:52:34 am »
Hallo Draadwerk

Heidenau is not available in a size suitable for our bikes and neither is Mitas.

I run Karoo 3 all the time. Get 10k-14k on the front and about 5k on the rear riding hard and aggressive.

I will not fit anything else, the Karoo 3 gives me the best balance across all types of terrain and riding.

Stem saam met LKM