Gearbox housing cracked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14457

Puppy
Reaction score
I have a 2010 30yr Ed GSA with approx. 32k on the clock. Since the 10k service (I bought her second hand in 2012 with 1539km on) I have had  an intermittent oil leak coming from the right side of the bike where the gearbox oil is filled. This coincided with the services for some reason and finally got so bad now that it leaked constantly (no leak at 20k service, but the oil was not checked). In an attempt to avoid a boring story the crux of it now is: bike out of warranty, full service history means nothing, good will claim could be around R2k but a new gearbox casing is around R18k excl. labour, oil, etc. Dye-pen shows the extent of the crack (photo should be included) and the actual crack is just below the stub that houses the oil filler bolt. Trying to have the casing welded, welder cannot guarantee work if done in-situ for various reasons so the gearbox is being disassembled. I have left out a lot of detail but thought it made for an interesting share.

Attachments

• Gearbox housing crack.jpg
    Gearbox housing crack.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 534