Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: EWT - Volunteers required - Amphibian Reptile and Small Mammal Mitigation Proje  (Read 1011 times)

Offline DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
EWT -Amphibian Reptile and Small Mammal Mitigation Project

We have an opportunity to get really involved with this project at the moment.

The EWT is looking for volunteers to help install some fencing that will be used to direct smaller animals towards the culverts that go under the road. The effectiveness of these fences will be studdied over a period of a month and then the fences will be removed.

I have the full project motivation document as presented to The De Beers Group of companies, pls pm me your email addy if you would like it, the 2 pdf's together are 4mb in size and i cannot attach them here.

Her current timing is that she would like the fences installed over the weekend of 31Jan/1 Feb and then removed 21/22 Feb.

She has a place for us to camp, I am still waiting for confirmation of GPS co-ords and I suspect we will need to be self sufficient in this regard. Apparently there will be toilets though. it's a 600km drive from Jhb.

The info I have with regards the scope of work at the moment is as such:

"Fencing will be 70 cm in height at a 45° angle to prevent species from hopping / jumping over the fence onto the road. In addition, 30cm of the fence will be buried beneath the ground to provide more stability, and lessen potential theft. Metal stakes (every 10m) will hold the fence in place.

Placement of the fence will be randomly selected across four 250 m sections over a 2 km distance (within the identified hotspot; Table 1). This will allow for further monitoring of mitigated and unmitigated sections within the hotspot. Signage alerting drivers to ‘Entering a Roadkill Hotspot’ will also be erected on the roadside."

so very basically....

weekend 1 - dig 4 of 30cmx250m trenches, plant metal stakes every 10m at an angle. attach fence to stakes, close up trench to cover buried fence. Erect “Hotspot” signs at entrance and exit of work area.

Weekend 2 – remove stakes and fencing.

The fencing will be something similar to that which is shown in the attached pic.

I reckon we will need a few hands on this one and most probably some equipment like small trenchers like the one we used at the vulture centre.

The poles wont be an issue, they are mostly droppers and the fencing is not heavy metal from what I have been told. the hard work is the trench to bury the bottom of the fence.

So who is keen?

This will be a combined 4x4/bike event as we will need a number of hands here.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:41:34 am by DouglasN »
-----------------------
Douglas Norval

Offline DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
If you want to find out more about this project , Wendy Collinson from the EWT will be doing a short presentation on it at the 4x4 Enthusiast meeting to be held at Kempton Caravans on 2nd Dec.

INVITE

FINAL 2014 ENTHUSIAST MEETING TUESDAY, 2 DECEMBER 2014

BIGGEST MEET OF 2014
WIN !! WIN !! WIN !!
CHECK THESE AWESOME PRIZES

R10 000 4x4 TYRE VOUCHER
Bridgestone SA

ORANGE RIVER DESTINATION TOUR 2015 - 9 nights/10 days
WORTH R5250 x 1 PERSON (T&C's Apply)
Authentic Adventures

SOLAR POWER VOUCHER - R5000
Flexo Power Energies

SNOMASTER ICE MAKER - R3000
SnoMaster

EWT SAFARI JOURNAL - R550
EWT

MORE STUNNING PRIZES AS ALWAYS FROM:
Kempton Caravans, CampWorld, National Luna
WORTH R1000's!!!!!

...and more prizes from the club & club sponsors in the raffle draw.....
COMPLIMENTARY REFRESHMENTS
SPONSORED BY KEMPTON CARAVANS

BRING YOUR OWN CHAIR !!!

TIME: 6.30 for 7pm

HOST VENUE: KEMPTON CARAVANS
ADDRESS: 7-9 Sheri Street, Harmelia, Edenvale - GPS - S26 deg 08.452' / E28 deg 11.317'

Tel: +27 (0)11 974 5595

BRING: ENTRY FEE = R20 per person, includes 1 FREE raffle ticket
(all pay entry except Kempton Caravans staff, donors & guest speakers)

RSVP: Via Email to 4x4offroad@mweb.co.za before Monday 12 noon, 1 December 2014

ADDITIONAL / Raffle Tickets @ R100 for a BOOK OF 12, or R10 each extra (anybody
can buy as many they want) - GO BIG OR GO HOME AS THEY SAY - BUY A BOOK!
BRING A MATE, YOUR PARTNER, A FRIEND. AN AMAZING EVENING, BUT RSVP!!!

ALSO VIEW SOME MAGNIFICENT NEW CARAVANS & CAMPING GEAR IN THEIR SHOP

PROGRAM: - See below

RIGHT OF ADMISSION RESERVED
Come hear this amazing panel of speakers!

Proceedings for evening – Alan Goodway (MC & club host)

Welcome to Kempton Caravans - Larry Kreuiter

Airlift Rescue in Botswana - George T'joens - Okavango Air Rescue

Travel Africa with us - Taun Brewsher - Authentic Adventures

The latest products on the Flexible Solar Power front - Werner Fischer - FlexoPower

The Endangered Wildlife Trust’s Wildlife and Roads Project – how you can help” – Wendy Collinson - The Endangered Wildlife Trust

Prepping for your holidays - Tyre Safety - Guthrie Blain - Bridgestone SA

Maybe 1 or 2 more, lets see...

Browse the stunning showroom and 100m sq + camping shop from Kempton Caravans and other displays from represented companies & then Raffle Draw - all attendees

Closure....

REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR CHAIR & A FRIEND!!!!!

THIS IS GONNA BE THE BIGGEST ONE OF THE YEAR!!!!! RSVP ASAP

-----------------------
Douglas Norval