Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: R1200GS LC Steering damper Q  (Read 4948 times)

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy se haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: R1200GS LC Steering damper Q
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 06:24:21 pm »
Yup new generation

I would hate to diss a tire on just my single experience, but I had that Tourance on my 09 GS for about 4000km when I trade-in on my new bike.  I would not fit that tire to a bike of mine again. 
.#BRADICAL!

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 09:48:43 pm »
I do believe it is widely known that the Tourance Next tyres are shite
It was the only tyre that was fitted to the lc's when it was launched- BMW shortly afterwards cancelled that sole supplier arrangement and started fitting almost exclusively Anakee3's.

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy se haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 06:54:07 am »
I do believe it is widely known that the Tourance Next tyres are shite
It was the only tyre that was fitted to the lc's when it was launched- BMW shortly afterwards cancelled that sole supplier arrangement and started fitting almost exclusively Anakee3's.

I would agree with the bold part.  If I didn't trade the bike in, I would have replaced the tire.  Apart from that they are super noisy!
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Inverted

• Bike: Honda XR500
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 10:52:09 am »

Very interesting. I don't have the balls the even let go of the handlebars, nevermind try to induce some wobble the way he does.

Anyone notice he has a right-hand side mirror on the left hand side too? Wonder why.
[/quote]

Ja, hy het sy gat afgeval

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 12:42:17 pm »
Like Bikerjan I also did 10000 on my 2013 and never needed a steering damper.

If you are so inclined, get the Touratech/Wilbers aftermarket adjustable damper.

Offline JJBotes

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 12:24:38 am »
Has anyone with a 2013  LC ever experienced the need for a steering damper ?
Is it a must have on the bike ?

Check out this video clip. Might shed some light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkDPMLxAZP0&feature=youtu.be

Thank you
That explains a lot . .  .

Offline lecap

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 04:31:19 pm »
Has anyone with a 2013  LC ever experienced the need for a steering damper ?
Is it a must have on the bike ?

Check out this video clip. Might shed some light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkDPMLxAZP0&feature=youtu.be

The guy in the vid is not entirely correct in two important aspects.
Shifting your weight back does not make the steering lighter by transferring weight away from the front wheel. It compresses your rear suspension and allows your front to lift  a bit. This makes your steering angle shallower and increases the front wheel trail. This - as long as you don't go all the way to an extreme chopper and experience something called "wheel flop" - will stabilise your bike. hard braking on the other hand has the tendency to destabilise the bike by working exactly the other way around. Tank slappers are often initiated by hitting a bump or pot hole off centre whilst on the brakes. Kick back during hard acceleration or when you put down the front after a wheelie might look scary but is usually harmless.
Luggage especially in hard panniers fitted far back on the bike have serious implications on your bike. Again the weight shift away from the front wheel and onto the rear wheel is not the only problem. The weight being loaded onto the bike fairly far up, most likely with a centre of gravity which lies behind the bikes rear axle and as worst case scenario a pannier rack which starts to flex as your bike wobblers will make things nasty.

If I had a choice I'd go for the 2014 model with the steering damper. I think BMW had good reason to add it. You might never experience a situation where you need it though. If the price is right and your heart is set to it get the 2013.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)