Dave's carb mod... but no mixture screw to tamper with!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiaanG

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure
So I decided to do Dave's carb mod on my XR650L today...

I currently don't have any issues with the throttle response etc, and I know it's running a bit rich due to the jetting of 55/160 on the stock zorst, so I was hoping the mixture screw mod would sommer fix that. And maybe get a little bit of extra grunt out of the girl.

The jetting was already done by the previous owner, he had Halfdaft do it for him. Richard told me that he just did the jets, but that he hasn't done the rest of the mod.

So anyway, I opened up the carb, and first saw that the slide was already drilled to 4mm, and the needle was also shimmed with a small washer! Damn and I was so lus to do it myself, so thanks Richard!   ;) (Now I know why I don't have issues with the throttle response)

But ja when I looked for the mixture screw, it was nowhere to be found, and in it's place was a small copper fitting to make it tamper proof. I had a quick scan on the interweb and saw they did it to the 2013 bikes, and if you drill the copper out, you were left with a small D socket, and somewhere I also read that you're not able to then actually turn the screw very far with this D socket thingy.

So is there anything I can do, or should I just leave it (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)?  ???

Fortunately my brand new FMF Q4 slip-on is coming this week, so that should sort out the power for good! Can't wait  :biggrin: