Amageza 2015, a girls perspective!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxy

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Intro:

I've been sitting here for the last few hours wondering whether I should post this or not, it's still a bit early, but I am just so excited, here goes :)

A couple of my friends participated in the Amageza rally this year. I just love this type of event, it is sooooo exciting!!! I watched it ever so closely, keeping numerous trackers open at once in my browser, checking on all the updates and  trying to not miss a second of the action. Our friends did so well, surpassing everyone's expectations! I can't help but to be super happy for everyone that completed this event.  ;D

The one thing I noticed though is the sheer lack of female presence. Since Rynet finished in the 2012 Amageza there hasn't been one single lady rider participating again? I know Sandi was going to participate this year, but unfortunately couldn't make it.

Anyway, so I have this crazy idea that I would love to share with everyone...

I want to do the Amageza 2015  ::)

(Well, if the entry requirements are not too strict as I don't exactly have a race cv. Will see about this*)

Not just me though! My handsome boyfriend will be accompanying me in the race as well as some friends acting as support crew. Nothing is final yet, we might just have a full team of friends who are racing. We still need to iron out the kinks and see how things fall into place.

So ja, I want to use this thread to document our progress, training and preparation of our bikes leading up to the events of the Amageza.

More about us:

1551708_10153190007202788_3821670894790204969_n.jpg

10421112_10153019232047788_2907879797478157025_n.jpg

Minxy, I am very passionate about motorcycling and I've been riding about 5 years on and off. The last year and a half of which I have done some pretty decent off-roading. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I do try to ride as much as possible. This year alone I've put well over 20,000km's on my SE, no commuting or anything, mostly off road riding. So hopefully that counts for something :)

Hondsekierie (HSK), he really needs no introduction here. He's been riding motorcycles for most of his life, always looking for a new adventure to go on! He really is the best partner I could ever hope for!

Now I know neither of us have any racing experience, but we don't suck too bad at riding our bikes, we really enjoy riding together and we compliment each other very well. Heck, we've overcome some some pretty tough challenges so far, hopefully we can conquer the Amageza next!

The Bikes:

HSK's KTM 690RR. This bike was prepped for the 2008 Dakar, the last one in Africa. Unfortunately the race was canceled and the bike made its way back to SA. All I'm going to say is, wow I am not jealous at all :p :p :p

10801564_10153430060517788_3644131291114828073_n.jpg

And now for Minxy's.... Urgh... I don't have a racey bike yet :( :( :( I've got the 950, but realistically that just won't work for Amageza.
I am however looking at some KTM 525's / 450 EXC's which I could possibly kit up with a rally lite setup. I am really open to anything right now and am keeping an eye on the Trade, buy and sell section here on Wild Dogs as well as other advertisers such as OLX and Scumtree. Will just have to see what pops up! Good things come to those who wait, or at least I hope so. For me the biggest consideration for a bike is the weight. I need something that can cover the long distances comfortably, is easy to handle and that I can pick up by myself.

Training:

I plan to go to gym and do my dance workout at least three times a week in addition to walking every morning / evening. Weekends myself, HSK and friends will be training on the bikes. Doing some mild technical riding as well as long distance riding on the 950SE till I get the smaller bike for now though. I don't want to wreck myself just yet :p
Once I've got the smaller bike we'll all be heading to Rhino Park, Wild West, De Wildt and the sandy river beds in Limpopo for some proper riding. I really, really, really can not wait!!!
Navigational training is another thing to consider and we all know it plays a very important part in rally riding. I am going to print out everything I can find on the internet regarding road book training and memorize it all... Will get some friends to show us the ropes as well :)

Anyway, Minxy over and out for now  :ricky: