Our Waterberge tour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ou Ryperd

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
We met at the Wimpy/Engen at the 4-way stop at Harties at 08:00 with the idea to leave by 08:30. Well, we did not make it, but left at about 09:00 after a welcome cup of Wimpy coffee.
76614654-M.jpg

The plan: We head to Thabazimbi via Brits on tar to safe on time and not to upset our friendly local chief at "Die Klip".

At Thaba we had brunch/lunch at the Spur before we headed to Vaalwater via dirt. We stopped to let some air out.
76614642-M.jpg

The day would become loooooooooooong!!! It was a great road, and according to Zonkel, a lekker 1 - 1.5 rating (the 1.5 for the sandy patches that cought out some of the others :oops: ) The sand: it was not deep, but with the scraping of the roads all the loose sand was worked to the edge of the road, and some of the less experienced people made wrong line choices and fell.
76614666-M.jpg

It was on this strech of road that we had the 3 big oepses. (1) AB planted his Tiger and the pannier bracket hooked him behind the leg.... lekker blou/pers kol :D
76614649-M.jpg

(2) When we stopped for AB, Frans decided to go back and look for his GPS that fell off. He did not wait for me, and when I eventualy caught up with him, he was lying in the dust. His visor in two pieces, and his 1200 GS left side pannier broken off. (3) Elsabe also decided that the edge of the road is the place to ride, but her 1200 decided otherwise and planted her head first into the sand. She had some discomfort in her left shoulder and ribs. Her confidence was shattered and she decided to hitch a ride in a bakkie. Oom Deon (caretacker of the farm) called a friend who came and pick Elsabe and her bike up on his Nissan and took them to Vaalwater.

The last few km's was slow and uneasy. Zonkel & I had time to play in this nice dam at the entrance to Mr Mandela?s winter retreat. (Spot the security guard in the back!)
76614644-M.jpg

Once we regrouped in Vaalwater, we refuelled and tackled the last km?s to the farm. A beautiful place, and I would surely go visit there again.
76614668-M.jpg

The entrance:
76614674-M.jpg

The venue:
76614651-M.jpg

76614677-M.jpg

Saturday we ventured to Ellisras. This piece of road must be one of the best I've ridden
76614709-M.jpg

Some of us had some fun on this road :D :D
76614700-M.jpg

76614646-M.jpg

We braai-ed every evening, and the food was GREAT!!!!
76614687-M.jpg

76614681-M.jpg

I want to thank guys like Zonkel & KalahariBen & Johan for looking after the group with me, and a BIG THANK YOU to oom Deon for leading on Friday & Saturday. This oom can ride his Africa Twin like he stole it!!!

It was a nice group of people and a good mix of bikes. We had a Tiger, a Pegasso, a Varadero, a Capo, a Trans Alp, two Africa Twins, a 1100 GS, two 1150 Adv and 3 1200GS bikes in the group.