Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Buy Comesa third party insurance  (Read 771 times)

Offline PedroGomezRios

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Buy Comesa third party insurance
« on: November 29, 2014, 01:46:50 pm »
Hi.

I and my son are travelling from Cape to Egypt, we are now in Pretoria and we would like to by a Comesa insurance in order to cross Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and Kenya.  Do you know where can i buy it online and pay by credit card?   

Any advice regarding the insurance? or it is better buy it in the borders?

Thanks.

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Buy Comesa third party insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 02:18:17 pm »
Hi

SA is not part of the Comesa Insurance arrangement. You can buy it at the first border you cross. Be extremely careful whom you buy from, many fake certificates on the market. Recently a container load of freshly printed Comesa certificates were "accidentally" sold as scrap paper in the Dar es Salaam harbour on auction. Reputable Insurers have offices at the border posts, not 100% secure but safer than from "agents" at the posts.  Enjoy the trip, we should be leaving Dar next week with the Land Rover down to SA via all the stunning spots like Vic Falls, etc.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline DREWMARX

Re: Buy Comesa third party insurance
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 09:23:58 am »
Hi Francois,

Get an insurance company in one of the countries you are planning to enter to issue and dhl a comesa insurance certificate to you. It is the easiest, and will save you a lot of money. The more north you travel you will be paying increasingly more for the local third party insurance, up to as much as $300, and you can simply buy on certificate for about $50 that is valid for up to 6 months. I'd go this route. I normally get mine in Tanzania from an agent in Arusha. Get it before hand, do not buy at the borders, they are going to RAPE you!!!

Kind Regards

Andrew
The Christini AWD Advantage!