Djebel 250 sputtering on higher revs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koet

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Morning Dawgs

It started happening again last night.  The little 250 Djebel sputters when revs go medium/high.  It doesn't have a rev counter, so the best description is that in 6th gear, when I reach more than 60km/h it starts sputtering and backfires.  It happened twice before, and that was also just after refueling.  What is weird is that after a couple of kilometers the bike sorts itself out.  Now I wouldn't worry too much about this usually, but this morning it happened again on my way to work - and quite badly.  So bad that at some stage I couldn't even pull away at a traffic light.  I pulled over to the side and the bike died.  I kick-started it and let it idle and blipped the throttle a couple of times.  It sputtered badly but at least I could ride a bit (but only at low revs).  Then roughly 12km into my commute the bike got over itself and for the last 4km it was fine.

Any idea what could be causing this?  I was thinking maybe it's a dirty carb or fuel filter?  Will have to dig a bit this weekend, but I'm quite limited for time.  :'(