Why I changed brands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurer

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Before Peaches' crash in December and the resultant written off 1200GS, the plan was for me to buy a good second hand 950KTM and keep my 1150GSA, the KTM would be used for solo trips and the hard core stuff, after the prang we started seriously thinking about the 990 for Peaches, it is lighter and easier to ride than the 1200, Peaches handled her 1200 very well, but was never that comfortable offroad, having ridden a few KTM's myself I thought the 990 would suit her better, no one can dispute that the 990/950 is more competent offroad.

This whole thought process got me going, if Peaches gets a 990, it would make logistical sense for me to have one as well, common parts on trips etc.

We were waiting for Peaches to be fit enough to try the 990 before making a decision, but when the Rand started seeing it's gat, and a rather substantial test ride in very trying conditions, we decided to break down and buy the first 990 before the price went up.
At this stage I had decided this was the way to go for me as well, well we bought the first 990, and after spending some time sitting on my bike, and a decent pillion ride, Peaches is pretty much set on getting herself a 990 as soon as she is able to ride again.

Her other option was another 1200GS, we booked a 1200 facelift but after seeing it she decided it was butt-ugly and just could not see herself being happy on it, her other option was a good 2nd hand 1200GS, but after the shafting we have had from BMW over the last few months, namely discs and a the rip off recovery costs from BMW -on-Call, the huge drop in value, and the difficulty and cost involved in insuring 1200GS's, we thought it a better deal to go with the 990 KTM.

Having ridden my 990 for just over 1200km so far, I think we made the right call, although the 990 can be a big handfull, I believe Peaches will handle it well. The 990 is a much nimbler bike to ride, it handles as well as the 1200 on road, but IMO is far more competent in the dirt, it feels like a 650 on steroids..... ;D
Both bikes have their weak and strong points, it all depends on what you are prepared to sacrifice.

I also wanted to change from my 1150GSA, it is a wonderful bike and IMO the best big DS bike BMW has ever made, I have never liked the 1200, GS or GSA, they are fantastic bikes, but don't suit my requirements. I want a bike that I CAN FIX next to the road, it must be lighter and a bit more power would not hurt. The only other option IMO was the KTM, agreed there are many other  DS bikes, but none of them 'do it' for me.
I am fortunate to have a variety of bikes to ride, some I have no interest in riding, some I look for every excuse to ride. After riding Marc Webb's 990 in very kark conditions I thought to myself if this bike is so much fun to ride in these conditions, it has to be even more fun in good conditions.

I will be sad to see my 1150GSA go, but in all honesty I would very seldom ride it, even if I could afford to keep it as well as the 990. (And we need the money to buy Peaches' 990... ;D ;D)
I have been a staunch BMW supporter for a very long time, have lived the lifestyle and taken the kark for it on this forum, ;D but it is time to move on.

Hopefully my BMW freinds will not shun me, (as happened to some dude in CT... ;D ;D) and hopefully all the KTM guys I pissed off will maintain a good sense of humour, and ride with me now and then.... ;D ;D ;D

So, in the next few months if you see two black/grey Katooms cruising down the road, careful, one of them might be Peaches..... ;D ;D