Accident waiting to happen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Since last week Tuesday I have been commuting between PTA East and the Marlboro off ramp on the N3 (100 km round trip). We all know the N1 and the only way to beat traffic is to lane split but man the amount of close shaves is rediculous. Last week a guy on a Chinese bike almost got taken out as a Land Rover changed lanes without using flickers, the guy gooied brakes and it was just smoke luckily he stopped in time. Then not a km further on a bakkie swerved across the lane because he did not see the cars standing still in the middle lane. Luckily he did not swerve into the fast lane where I was riding. Today a Merc decided to change lanes as I was coming up right next to it, I think we both had a moerse fright. Then a superbike rider almost ploughed into a taxi as it again just changed lanes. Somehow a driver thinks that a friendly wave after a near miss makes up for everything  :mad: The point I'm making is that you pass hundreds if not thousands of cars when you lane split, even with bright clothing or spots, high beam etc. an accident is iminent. Somehow it feels safer behind another bike or when three or more are lane splitting. Be carefull and be alert !