Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What to do for Amageza 2015  (Read 7444 times)

Offline Ross Riddle

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
What to do for Amageza 2015
« on: December 12, 2014, 09:17:26 am »
Morning all,
I have a dilemma! I desperately want to partake in Amageza 2015 an I have questions for those esteemed gents that are in the know (as its put).
The question is whether or not to trade the stock 2010 KTM 690R (3200km on the clock) in  and buy a cheaper 450/500/525 and use the remaining money for rally parts?
Just find that rally parts for a 690 are so damn expensive and with me not being all that gifted in the fabrication side of things, where as the smaller bike looks as if are more reasonable?
I have got the buy in from the missus and training has started but it no use without the correct machine.
As a side note the aim is to get a finishes medal and try and keep coming back year after year.
Any help/ direction will be appreciated
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
Re: What to do for Amageza 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 09:32:19 am »
Morning all,
I have a dilemma! I desperately want to partake in Amageza 2015 an I have questions for those esteemed gents that are in the know (as its put).
The question is whether or not to trade the stock 2010 KTM 690R (3200km on the clock) in  and buy a cheaper 450/500/525 and use the remaining money for rally parts?
Just find that rally parts for a 690 are so damn expensive and with me not being all that gifted in the fabrication side of things, where as the smaller bike looks as if are more reasonable?
I have got the buy in from the missus and training has started but it no use without the correct machine.
As a side note the aim is to get a finishes medal and try and keep coming back year after year.
Any help/ direction will be appreciated
The Amageza can be ridden and finished on just about any thing.

If its your only bike I would say use the 690.
If its a race/play thing I'd say take a look at some of the WR450's or similar around.

450's are amazing for this sorta racing, nothing at all wrong with a 690. A very simple rule of thumb after watching and have tried an Amageza would be: The smaller the bike the more maintenance you are in for every night

Not to say that you wouldn't have as much maintenance to do on a 690 vs 450 but you will have less (all things being equal)

Bike + 300km fuel + navigation gear + fitness = done
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:32:42 am by N[]vA »
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline saklx650c

• Race Dog
  • the wheels turn - nobody home
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:56:27 am »
Plus you can go Rallye lite.  One 690 had std tank with 6.6l rotopax mounted on the rear. 
kl X not R - sold
Husqvarna te610

Offline Ross Riddle

• Pack Dog
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 09:58:43 am »
Thanks,
I am going to take all the options and ideas I can get and work on a stagey to get me  there!
Please keep the opinions coming ;D
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 10:10:02 am »
Thanks,
I am going to take all the options and ideas I can get and work on a stagey to get me  there!
Please keep the opinions coming ;D
Most important thing is to start on your fitness yesterday!

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 10:35:11 am »
Both bikes will get you to the end finish line, that is a given.  From the entries this year both options were good.  However, once you convert to the rally lite option, i.e 450, then you no longer have a day to day commuter when not in Amageza mode.  But for me the 450 lite or rally option is by far the better option if you want to be competitive
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( (( >`..`..`...>< ( ( (( >

Offline Buff

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 11:03:36 am »
Plus you can go Rallye lite.  One 690 had std tank with 6.6l rotopax mounted on the rear. 

I'm in the same boat Ross and I've done some investigation into the options available for tanks. The above options is by far the cheapest solution. It was used by one of the competitors in this years race as well. It just means that you will probably need to ride with a small backpack which is not ideal but you get used to it if you train with one on all the time.

Safari 14l Tank = R11 500
Omega 2x5l Tanks = R13 500
Rotopax 6.6l = R1 350 + mounting R750
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Fortune favors the brave
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 11:41:48 am »

Also bear in mind that you would probably need to roadworthy the bike.
The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

KTM 450RR

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 11:49:57 am »

All vehicles will have to be properly roadworthy and carry plates that match the paperwork to the frame and engine and VIN numbers. As you'll probably have to cross borders I'd hate to see anyone's race bike confiscated at customs. Those 450s that carried 690's plates have got 9 or 10 months to get their story straight.

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 12:44:48 pm »

All vehicles will have to be properly roadworthy and carry plates that match the paperwork to the frame and engine and VIN numbers. As you'll probably have to cross borders I'd hate to see anyone's race bike confiscated at customs. Those 450s that carried 690's plates have got 9 or 10 months to get their story straight.

Yip, I think is a very valid point, as I saw many a bike at this years Amageza skeniving their way through scrutineering.  Maybe a directive and notice to come from Alex, that either we are to be roadworthy or not and the implications of it.  9 months is more than enough time to get bikes roadworthy.  Would hate to see DNF's due to border crossing issues or rejections, but you will only have yourself to blame.   :deal:
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( (( >`..`..`...>< ( ( (( >

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 12:51:56 pm »

After seeing the dates for 2015 are tentatively August-Sept the Amageza suddenly becomes a possibility for this grape farmer from Kakamas....  After spectating this year's event, me and couple of mates made it a life goal to complete this wonderful event. Nov-Dec is simply impossible though.

Now my question is similair: I've got a f800GS. Would you guys that competed this year and in the past say it is a possibility to just try and finish (obviously won't be competitive unless your name is MARC COMA or HENTIE HANEKOM) with the 800? Or should I put this dream on hold for a couple of years?

Cheers
Charl
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 01:07:00 pm »

After seeing the dates for 2015 are tentatively August-Sept the Amageza suddenly becomes a possibility for this grape farmer from Kakamas....  After spectating this year's event, me and couple of mates made it a life goal to complete this wonderful event. Nov-Dec is simply impossible though.

Now my question is similair: I've got a f800GS. Would you guys that competed this year and in the past say it is a possibility to just try and finish (obviously won't be competitive unless your name is MARC COMA or HENTIE HANEKOM) with the 800? Or should I put this dream on hold for a couple of years?

Cheers
Charl
Again it is possible.

That said the potential repair bill on a BMW 800 gs o.O!   :o

No reason it cant be used though

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:07:22 pm by N[]vA »

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 02:07:17 pm »
That's very true  :'(  thanks Nova.

Sorry Ross, hijack off :thumleft:
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 02:34:41 pm »
After seeing the dates for 2015 are tentatively August-Sept the Amageza suddenly becomes a possibility for this grape farmer from Kakamas....  After spectating this year's event, me and couple of mates made it a life goal to complete this wonderful event. Nov-Dec is simply impossible though.
Cheers
Charl

Eish, I think you would be much better off on a smaller bike.

Offline RallyMan

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 02:58:36 pm »
Tenere 660 ?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 03:44:22 pm »
'To be competitive' really means going for a win, or thereabouts.

Almost any bike will do it and there are plenty other riders around you to compete with, whether at the front, the middle or the back of the pack.

It looks like I'll be competing next year on my KLR again, at zero prep cost. I expect (hope) to finish mid pack and that's where I'll be competing. This year I finished near the back which is my main motivation for doing it again - now that I know what to expect, I know what to do next time round. Lack of fitness nearly took me out on day 1.

Talking about roadworthy, my bike got the full treatment from the scrutineers. Whether it was because they knew it was a road-legal bike to start with or just random, I don't know, but they checked the lot. 

Your bike and you must be fairly crash-proof and as long as you can keep picking it up every now and then, you should be fine.

A light bike will be a lot more fun in the tech - but those liaisons are gonna be long on a hard seat
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline RallyMan

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 04:02:54 pm »
Just doesn't make sense for me to go and spend another R80 000 on a bike where i can just crash proof my Tenere a bit and extra fuell cells, roadbook and GPS

I have enough time to save for all the equipment but not for a new bike..

I don't want to win any stages i just want to do it and finish it if im last i don't care its an experience few people will be able to do, and its the closes thing to dakar, maybe in 2 years time ill have a rally only bike
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 05:46:58 pm »
Just doesn't make sense for me to go and spend another R80 000 on a bike where i can just crash proof my Tenere a bit and extra fuell cells, roadbook and GPS

I have enough time to save for all the equipment but not for a new bike..

I don't want to win any stages i just want to do it and finish it if im last i don't care its an experience few people will be able to do, and its the closes thing to dakar, maybe in 2 years time ill have a rally only bike

I think a Tenere is an awesome bike for the Amageza. It's tank is HUGE (please will you give me fuel if I run out? haha). It's a little heavy.... and the front end is a little soft maybe (easy to sort I'd imagine?) but I've ridden one in deep sand and it handled well. The gearing is a little long (the 1st gear and the jump between gears) and I'd drop at least one tooth in the front... maybe even increase 1 or 2 in the rear too. - that puts ur speedo out but hey (speedo is on the crank?)
I've heard of their clutches going if you abuse them - so just be warned about that, but I think a bad rider can burn any clutch.... esp in sand.
Go for it IMO  :thumleft:
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 06:00:52 pm »
Didn't Jenny Mo do the Dakar on a 660? Had WR forks, that was that.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 06:07:42 pm »

Cheers
Charl

Charl. n F800 is doenbaar.  Istvan gaan dalk op syne.  Ek sou net oortollige yster afbout.  Jy gaan skade he, moenie probeer om dit te stop met meer yster nie.  Jy sal een van Oso Blanco se camel tanks moet opsit.