Year End 2014 Waterberg Rebel Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangeswifty

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
If you want to go on a trip you don't want to leave in the rain..................

Day 1 - Friday 12 Dec 10am

Sitting at the Dros on Atterbury the 5 of us contemplated canning the trip if the rain persists.
72% possibility of drenching rain stared us down as we sat dripping with a cup of coffee in the hand.
At about 11 the rain stopped momentarily and offered us a chance to get going.

Kierie, Minxy, Ken, Circlip and I decided to slab to Naboom. We started off with a fine drizzle still hampering the progress but soon the rain dissipated and left us with a fine cloudcover and cool weather to ride in. Just past the Carousel on the old Warmbaths road we encountered a huge roadblock held by both traffic and SAPS of North West and Gauteng.
Time to stock up on Christmas bonuses on unawares road users.
Some of us got fines for expired licence disks and also for smaller than standard registration plates.

One would think that they could use their time better to combat REAL crime.
I told one of the senior officers at the roadblock he could stuff the fines up his twathole and come and visit me at my house where I can put my Rotties on him to chew his ass to pieces, frikken idjit. He was not impressed.
I duly proceeded to spin away from the scene and pop a wheely with the necessary finger in the air
F%&*#ing asswholes!! :patch:

Once we got past Warmbaths and through Nylstroom to take on the first piece of dirt to Naboom it had the effect of an immediate anger management class and the pristine bushveld and savannah country in the Waterberg mixed with muddy dirt roads with pools of water had the desired calming effect.

We decided to have lunch at Sashas in Naboom and although the service is historically a bit slow the cheeseburgers are ample.
We only got moving after 3 and hit the D600 dirtroad from Naboom towards the Doorndraai dam and Nature reserve and Entabeni Game Reserve. From here it is a mere 40 clicks to Makekeng where the Wild Dogs camp is situated.
We put petrol in at Tin Mine Shell garage and proceeded through the Daggakraal road through the Moepel Resreve.
This stretch of road enters from an unused pass (D888) from Makekeng off the D192 and exits on the R518 to Marken 25k's before the town.
It is the most beautifull pristine dualsport road in the Waterberg and you will rarely encounter any vehicles here.
The road is open and plains on top of the mountain for about 20k's or so and if you are so inclined you can really gass it through here.........keeping in mind the odd farm animal or smaller game.
In Marken we filled with fuel and invested in the odd beverage to wet the throat later
We arrived at the Game Farm 23k's on the Jemima Rd towards the Botswanna Border just before dark.
A pristine game farm with a lodge on stilts next to the main house sleeping 16 in 5 star fashion.
Barry de Beer, the farm manager was on hand to welcome us.
He hadf prepared some steaks to braai with potatoes and a pepper sauce with salad.
All of us decided to first wash off the dust in the pool and after enjoyed a bushveld hardwood fire like you can not experience anywhere else in this beautifull country of ours.

PS - photographs to follow......please add yours of the first day here and keep the rest for the story on day 2 to follow  

Attachments

• Moepel crossing.png
    Moepel crossing.png
    298.2 KB · Views: 447