Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: WC : Trials Riders  (Read 10879 times)

Offline BrendaButtercup

Re: WC : Trials Riders
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 02:40:24 pm »
Not sure if you joined up with these guys yet....

http://www.capetrials.co.za/

Cheers

W

Dead, dead, dead. unfortunately 

No it's not!  Did you post a query or register on the site?
Brenda Buttercup: BMW F650 Funduro
Honey: BMW R1150GS
Trials: 2017 Beta Evo 300 SS
Webmaster: http://BMWMotorradClubCape.co.za

Offline BrendaButtercup

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 02:46:48 pm »
Come to the trial on Sunday and see for yourself:

http://capetrials.co.za/content/season-start-fun-trial-0

If this is your first time, we walk through the sections before we ride them, so you can decide during the trial whether you will ride the clubman (safe & docile but not easy), experts (requires commitment) or masters (dangerous) lines.

Offline Malmoer

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Either i find a way or I will make one!!
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 03:54:29 pm »
Brendabuttercup???? :imaposer:

Charles who picked that name?

I bought an old Montesa from a friend and made my way up to one of the events. Nice bunch off blokes and very helpful. I learned a lot of new skills and if you are lucky enough to go view some of these guys and come to appreciate the skill involved i am sure one's opinion regarding trials will change. I am hoping to join them someday again soon.

I still get my weekly or fortnightly email informing me of future events.

Enjoy  the trials
Ruhan
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit...... WHAT A RIDE"!!!!!!!

2011 F800gs (Current)
2007 G650 x challenge (Crashed!!!)
2008 YZ250wr (Sold)

Offline Dusty Rusty

• Sparkle
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
  • SSS!
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 04:14:19 pm »
Ek wil ook eendag so bike he! 
Never underestimate the power of kindness!

http://doutrapper.wordpress.com/

Offline Dusty Rusty

• Sparkle
  • Forum Whore
  • SSS!
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 04:17:06 pm »
Kan mens iewerste 'n trail bike huur om te kyk of mens daarvan hou?

Offline BrendaButtercup

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 04:32:44 pm »
Brendabuttercup???? :imaposer:

Charles who picked that name?

Ruhan

My first big bike is a yellow BMW 650 Funduro.  Brenda the Buttercup Yellow BMW...  then came Mr.Badger the big blue BMW.  It's a family thing - all our creatures and vehicles have names.

Funny thing is people on this forum who don't know me assume I am a girl.  One of my bikes is a girl...

Offline BrendaButtercup

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 04:36:57 pm »
Kan mens iewerste 'n trail bike huur om te kyk of mens daarvan hou?

Come to the fun trial, or to practice at Zonnebloem on a thursday.  Someone is bound to let you have a ride on their bike.  Thing is, it is quite different to what you are used to, so does take a while to get into.  Most people take a year of practice before they can balance while stationary.

What I love is that I can get home from work, put on boots, pants, t-shirt, open helmet and gloves, and be riding in the neighbourhood in a few minutes.  After 30 minutes I have had a good workout and am drenched.

Offline Malmoer

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Either i find a way or I will make one!!
Re:
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2015, 08:16:57 am »
BBC all my bikes is girls. Just sound better we you say ' i thrashed her today' get my drift?
Yes Charles have to agree quick and easy. And if you practice balancing wheelies and stoppies you get n workout of note. I will make a plan to come visit one of the events soon.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit...... WHAT A RIDE"!!!!!!!

2011 F800gs (Current)
2007 G650 x challenge (Crashed!!!)
2008 YZ250wr (Sold)

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
Re:
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2015, 01:02:03 pm »
I'm having a very hard time getting gear in cape town. I've spoken to Graham but he is up in jozi which makes sizing a little hard.

I don't like riding with a mx lid and then there are my gaerne mx boots.  Waay  too stiff.

Dusty jy is welkom om my 300 te kom ry as jy en nismark  in die area is.

Offline Sprocketbek

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2015, 03:16:33 pm »
You might think we are knobs, but read below...

Trials is very much alive in the Cape, although a small group of dedicated riders, there are also those that come and go.
The Nomads MC club is what the cape trials falls under (or is affiliated to)
The www.capetrials.co.za site is very quite, except for the trials dates and the odd tech questions. We don't talk to much, but ride alot.
Trials in the cape was very big, but ever since two friends had a deadly head on at a club trial event, the sport here has gone low key.

I was trying to guess what year that accident was, found the info on the Nomads history site: http://www.nomads.org.za/trials/trials-history/

The 4 Koeberg guys mentioned were all colleagues of mine and Ben passing away was really tragic  :(
It was 1995.
20 years ago......
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline zanderas

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
Re:
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 10:58:33 am »
I'm having a very hard time getting gear in cape town. I've spoken to Graham but he is up in jozi which makes sizing a little hard.

I don't like riding with a mx lid and then there are my gaerne mx boots.  Waay  too stiff.

Gear is a problem.
No one seems too eager to keep slow moving stock of all sizes.

I have found over the years that if your pip is a large in a mx/bmw/arai/etc then it's still a large for a trials helmet.
Same with mx/touring boots, it's the same size for a trials boot (normally a size or 2 bigger than your shoes size),

An open face helmet makes a biiiig difference, especially for visibility (looking up, sideways, etc.) The neck is also cut back for looking up.
The open airflow is what you appreciate most, mx helmets get stuffy fast.
Ironically, a closed face helmet for riding between the rocks and tree branches, would make sense, but have never had a close shave.

The main difference with a trials boot, is that the sole in flat, so the heel part doesn't get in the way of moving around on your peg.
It's also flexible at the ankles and has a rigid sole for the hours on the pegs.
The soles are also very grippy for walking up steep terrain and for on rocks.
Trials boots are very comfortable and last for a long time.

Gloves, you can get at many bike shops (thin mx style)  I used to ride with inner gloves too, to help with the initial callus/blister stage.
Knee guards - Polysport shin/knee guards or leatt's 3DF soft knee guards are very comfortable (tracmac, etc)
Pants - MX, etc

Try:
trials.co.za (Graham) for helmets & boots
World of accessories for helmets (they stocked the new Airoh trial helmet)
trialsuk.co.uk for all trials stuff. ("Alpine stars - no stop" Boots are 210 Pounds for a R6k boot here, ask a friend to bring it over for you)

Not much gear is needed for trials (helmet, boots, gloves, knee guards) & the maintenance costs on the bikes are minimal (clean air filter, change oil every 10-40hrs atf/10w40). Cheap cheap.... and ... the 3 litre fuel tank lasts longer than you can, hehe

You welcome to try someone else's gear on, for size, but do it before it gets wet...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:06:35 am by zanderas »

Offline adv

• Forum Whore
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
Re:
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 01:21:24 pm »
Atf dex3  also recommended.

Offline Kevin_ZA

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2015, 06:15:15 pm »
Any reason why the Trials bikes do not seem to use "Cycra" type handguards....just getting into the sport and I have already broken the clutch lever.
Thought I was bike fit but make no mistake - it's a serious workout.
Everyone knows the saying " a day without wine is like a day without sunshine"  Truely applicable but as important - a day without my bike is like a day without sunshine !!!

Offline zanderas

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 08:00:17 pm »
Any reason why the Trials bikes do not seem to use "Cycra" type handguards....just getting into the sport and I have already broken the clutch lever.

Some guys do fit those guards, they are useful when free riding through thick bush and a branch grabs a "handful" of front brake (or on a steep incline & the clutch is pulled), but most bikes don't have them on. Maybe weight saving, also when trials sections are set, the area is cleared nicely.

The trick to save the clutch/brake lever is to:
1.Set your levers 15mm from the bar ends, so that the handle bar hits the ground first and not the levers.
2.Loosen the levers & throttle housing so that they can move under impact. IE You can move them with 2 hands, that way the items rotate & don't brake. A couple of bangs and they are straight again to keep riding.

Also, fit bar ends (R150), they definitely help when the bike is dropped, especially the throttle side & it saves damaging the grips.

I haven't broken a lever in years since, but prior, used about 2 a year (at R300 a pop).

Ya, trials riding is a good (& satisfying) workout. You can't just sit on your bum & give it gas...
The mt bike is just standing cause the trials bike gives a good enough cardio workout
Trials biking is very progressive, wrt fitness & skill

Offline adv

• Forum Whore
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
Re:
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 09:22:50 pm »
I do have flappy type guards. They aren't fitted tho. Try and source some fancy folding levers... They work rather well.

Offline adv

• Forum Whore
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
Re:
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 09:24:10 pm »
I did some wheelie practice yesterday and can keep it up for a rugby field Length in 5th gear. Gets a little hairy at times tho. Hahaa

Offline zanderas

Re:
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 09:33:50 pm »
I did some wheelie practice yesterday and can keep it up for a rugby field Length in 5th gear. Gets a little hairy at times tho. Hahaa

Lekkkkkkeeeeerrrrrrr

Just cover the back brake, it's the only safety from flipping backwards

Braaaaaaaaap

Offline Wookie

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 07:40:37 am »

I use a couple of wraps of Plumbers Tape (PTFE) around the handle bars, under the clutch and brake lever perches.
Lets them rotate under force quite well....
Freedom is not a place..... It's merely a state of mind

Offline Dusty Rusty

• Sparkle
  • Forum Whore
  • SSS!
Re:
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 10:37:54 am »

I don't like riding with a mx lid and then there are my gaerne mx boots.  Waay  too stiff.

Dusty jy is welkom om my 300 te kom ry as jy en nismark  in die area is.
:o :o :o :o :o

Ooooooh! oooh!  Sjoe!  Dis sal awesome wees.  Dalk kry ek eendag se eendag liewerste vir my  'n trail bike as 'n plastic.  Ek hou van die stilstaan en balanseer idee.   ;D  Vreeslik baie dankie, ek sal hoor wanneer ons in jou rigting kan kom.    :toothy10: :toothy11: :toothy9: :toothy9:

Offline Kevin_ZA

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 02:12:12 pm »

Thanks....some good advice given.
Everyone knows the saying " a day without wine is like a day without sunshine"  Truely applicable but as important - a day without my bike is like a day without sunshine !!!