Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Lowering links / Dog bones  (Read 137 times)

Offline Happy Chappy

• Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Lowering links / Dog bones
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:49:04 am »
Ahoy my fellow bikers

I want to find out how safe or good idea it is to put lowering links on a bike. I am a real short sh!t (1.67m), and are looking for a Yamaha XT660R. I climb on one in a dealer shop a week ago, and only my one big toe could reach the ground, while my other foot was hanging in the air :o

I live in a town with many potholes, and my current bike, Kawasaki ER6n, is a road bike, not made for these roads. I am not going to ride out mountains or anything, but 1 or 2 gravel roads would be nice.

To be honest - I know NOTHING about bikes. I climb on, start and go. So, please advise me in simple terms, because English is my 3rd language

Thanks

Offline wackhead

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: Lowering links / Dog bones
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 11:10:43 pm »
You simply measure the distance between centres on the dog bone and then using a similar thickness steel make two longer or shorter dog bones!  Its really simply. Just make a rough one in the beginning, and then when you have it right you can make a neat pair and have them electroplated after bead blasting!

I did a pair for a mates kleptomaniac in about an hour!

Offline Pilchie

Re: Lowering links / Dog bones
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:27:24 pm »
Hi, I bought lowering links for my xt660r,  it took 10 minutes to fit.  Made a huge difference to my confidence. 
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live