Adventurizing a BMW G450X; the project starts...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
8 Shropshire Street, Paarden Eiland, Cape Town
Bike
BMW (all models)
I'm buying a BMW G450X..., and going to 'adventurize' it...

It ticks a LOT of boxes for me, now, coming from a 650 Dakar, then an 800 GS, presently an 1150 GS as well as a K100 Flying Brick Cafe Racer, but now going to own ONE bike for a while, and MAKE it work (dammit!)

It was 2 or 3 years back that GOOSE mentioned to me about Project CCM, and I started following the development of this very interesting bike, which uses the same (de-tuned Kymco engine) that the G450X uses...)

I cannot afford to import the CCM 450GP, so a BMW G450X it will be...  :deal:

1. add 2nd hand Safari REAR tank, fuel range goes from 8L to 16L. Expensive, but it 'evens out' the non-exhaust side, and then....

2. ...a GIANT Loop Coyote is all I will carry, other than a mini tank bag, for 3 -4 day excursions...

3. Will run the bike permanently in LOW power mode, and re-geared for less-technical dirt gravel riding, giving an approximate service interval, in LOW setting, of 8000km, with oil changes every 2000-4000...

4. 5-speed, I reckon I can live with; the 450 actually has a WIDER ratio than an F800 GS, even though it gives up 1 gear to the 800! Of course, this is all very well in itself but ...but someone on ADV Rider.com educated me: "out the primary drive ratio ..on the gs its 1.94 and on the ccm its 2.61

70mph ccm 6300
70mph gs 4600
...thats the reality ..a wr or a drz would be around 7500 revs at that speed by comparason ..so as ive said think wr250
with much more power and better cruisbility and that is the reality of the ccm...
the ccm winds on to over 90mph but its realistic cruising speed to my ear is in between 65 /75 mph on standard gearing"

5. I drive a NISSAN X-Trail, which can take 150kg on the hitch, so this bike at 111kg dry, or 120/129 wet,can go on a hitch mount to the nearest jump-off town, and then a 3 or 4 nighter on the more interesting stuff.

6. These bikes can be had for 2nd-hand for a fair price, yet have Ohlins suspension (rear), and a good pedigree!

7. I'll do the 'Zipty' oil mod, which seems to further improve the Kymco (standard) engine. (thanks, Dominic!)

8. possibly an additional after-market oil-cooler, to increase the oil from around 1L to 1.6L or thereabouts (I think!)

9. Seat modification: I used to SELL the Butt-Saver comfort seat support system, have kept one back, and will fit this to the 'plank', and see what it does to comfort level for longer days in the saddle...

10. I may also 'reinterpret' an American idea called 'Sweet Cheeks'; basically an over-the-seat cover that contains a 1Litre water bottle on each side, and it's that captive bottle which supports the butt on skinny seat, AND, when using the RIGHT plastic, can carefully carry fuel (disclaimer - this is risky), so I may use them purely for water.

11. The Giant Loop does not 'creep forward', since it is restrained at the back of the bike by either 2 or 3 straps, keeping the seat 'clear'

12. Side stand I have read up about, needs reinforcement or replacing...

13. Ignition switch; I read 2 posts about owners who retro-fitted an ignition switch. For security, I was going to use another product we sell, a disk-lock within in-built alarm, touch the bike and it 'warns' you, 2nd warning,and then all (noise) hell breaks loose. Would probably put a reminder on the bars (at first) to stop me driving off with the thing attached to my front disk! But I will most likely fit an ignition switch to the bike.

No doubt a good few flaws in my above argument, would love to hear contrary views..

(Just managed to pick-up a new, Safari rear tank locally, holds 8L, so it will increase the range from 8L range to 16L range in total, which I can live with).

So thus far, I have an after-market tank, spare mirrors, spare plastics, shortly a motorcycle hitch carrier, and now I just need a bike...!

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• BMW_G450X_Rallye_4b7b25eacd9f6.jpg
    BMW_G450X_Rallye_4b7b25eacd9f6.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,499