Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ducati Scrambler Launch  (Read 6131 times)

Offline Bensien

Re: Ducati Scrambler Launch
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2015, 02:53:33 pm »
The air cooled Ducati engine is a gem. It is smooth, tractable, and performs in a manner that belies its paper statistics. Ive had a few and promised myself that I will one day have another one. The Scrambler may just be it.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 09:15:52 am »
The air cooled Ducati engine is a gem. It is smooth, tractable, and performs in a manner that belies its paper statistics. Ive had a few and promised myself that I will one day have another one. The Scrambler may just be it.

Our group got shouted at by a state trooper for wheelying. That motor is a peach.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2015, 04:13:57 pm »
Donovan have i missed something...like the SA launch of this bike?  ::)
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2015, 04:15:01 pm »
Donovan have i missed something...like the SA launch of this bike?  ::)

Ha ha! Let's see when the bike arrives in April.

Offline teebag

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2015, 11:16:46 pm »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2015, 07:13:45 am »
The terms "Enduro" and "Scrambler" are being thrown about very loosely lately. :imaposer:

Obviously, while some have been "stewing in ignorance", others have been stewing in factory lifestyle propaganda.

I like how they almost always include a little jump of no significance. Like it was designed for jumping.

Yes, you are right, not everyone likes it.

This does not mean that you wasted your time posting it here Donovan, still appreciates your trouble.

Offline Bensien

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2015, 07:48:09 am »
When I was growing up, we used to call the dirt bikes that werent competition oriented, street scramblers. Examples were the Yamaha XT500, Honda XL500 and Suzuki DR500, and these bikes were generally used for daily transport rather than hard core off road riding, which was the domain of the TTs, XRs etc. I think the Ducati is a nice continuation on this theme.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2015, 07:51:21 am »
"stewing in ignorance"

pot kettle   :peepwall:

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2015, 08:20:46 am »
When I was growing up, we used to call the dirt bikes that werent competition oriented, street scramblers. Examples were the Yamaha XT500, Honda XL500 and Suzuki DR500, and these bikes were generally used for daily transport rather than hard core off road riding, which was the domain of the TTs, XRs etc. I think the Ducati is a nice continuation on this theme.

100%  :thumleft: - the discipline of scrambling in VMX circles are also hilly grass tracks with small to no jumps. It really has very little to do with Enduro or MX.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline bud500

• Grey hound
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2015, 08:46:35 am »
It seems the SA launch is mid April.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Never give up.
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2015, 08:49:11 am »
 :drif: :drif: :drif:
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline Buddy

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2015, 09:14:04 am »
Let's hope you can get the Scrambler in yellow  ;)
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2015, 10:31:01 am »
The terms "Enduro" and "Scrambler" are being thrown about very loosely lately. :imaposer:

Obviously, while some have been "stewing in ignorance", others have been stewing in factory lifestyle propaganda.

I like how they almost always include a little jump of no significance. Like it was designed for jumping.

Yes, you are right, not everyone likes it.

This does not mean that you wasted your time posting it here Donovan, still appreciates your trouble.

Ignorance indeed this bike harps back to the Ducati Scrambler of the 60s, which were real scramblers, when the term "scrambler" came about. In the 70s, when real plastic bikes came into play, the terms MX, offroad, rally and even rodeo came into prominence and the word "scrambler" was used by just a select few who hadn't really kept up with the times. This is a scrambler. A proper one. MX, enduro and offroad bikes are something else.
Ducati have been very adamant that this bike is only capable of light offroad, which is why, out of a selection of 1000-odd factory photos, only three feature the bike riding offroad, with the ramping one being one of them. In fact, I'm the one saying it can probably go offroad, despite the factory's apprehension. Haven't I said all this already in this thread?

Sorry you don't like it. I think we can see that there is a term for people who don't like the Scrambler the minority.  :biggrin:

Sorry mate. I couldn't resist.  :3some:

I will agree that the Scrambler most definitely cannot replace any of the current adventure, offroad, enduro or MX bikes. It is a separate completely.

Here is another fun video of the Scrambler by some Frogs:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152689878846994&pnref=story

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2015, 11:23:43 am »
Sure Donovan, the "scrambler" is an entirely different class of bike, and what confuses me is the engine. The previous Duke "scrambler" had a small single motor.

But to fit a big V-twin and call it their scrambler, well it is obvious that they are not looking for riders to go scramble on it. ;D

Same for that senseless Triumph "scrambler" thing.

Offline Buddy

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2015, 11:28:46 am »
While this is without doubt a very road orientated bike, don't forget that this engine's direct descendant was in the Cagiva Elephant which had big off-road racing success in Australia. 
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline Mooch

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2015, 11:40:58 am »
While this is without doubt a very road orientated bike, don't forget that this engine's direct descendant was in the Cagiva Elephant which had big off-road racing success in Australia. 

This motor actually originated in the 500 and 600 Pantah sport bikes in the 80's
If in doubt, flat out.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2015, 12:31:12 pm »

This motor actually originated in the 500 and 600 Pantah sport bikes in the 80's

Yep.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2015, 04:42:08 pm »
Sure Donovan, the "scrambler" is an entirely different class of bike, and what confuses me is the engine. The previous Duke "scrambler" had a small single motor.

But to fit a big V-twin and call it their scrambler, well it is obvious that they are not looking for riders to go scramble on it. ;D

Ducati don't have a handy single that they can throw on to their production line. Remember it's a cost thing. They'd have to design one at huge expense, and then set up a new production line. This engine comes off their 796 Monster that is still in production, so they don't have to pay for R&D and set up costs with the Scrambler. And it's a cracker of an engine. If they had made a single, it would have cost more and been less popular, and then their Audi bosses would have shouted at them.

Actually, the head of the Ducati design department is an avid offroader. On weekends he rides his CR125 through the local mountains near Bologna. He's also done some proper offroad designs (which he won't show anyone, spoil sport). Unfortunately, for Ducati to design and build offroady bikes like those would require a lot of resources, a step away from Ducati's core market and a step into an already heavily competitive market. It would've been fun though.

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2015, 04:56:54 pm »
Looks like a cool, fun bike.  Perhaps that's all it's intended to be...   :thumleft:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 05:56:17 pm »

Ducati don't have a handy single that they can throw on to their production line. Remember it's a cost thing. They'd have to design one at huge expense, and then set up a new production line. This engine comes off their 796 Monster that is still in production, so they don't have to pay for R&D and set up costs with the Scrambler. And it's a cracker of an engine. If they had made a single, it would have cost more and been less popular, and then their Audi bosses would have shouted at them.

Actually, the head of the Ducati design department is an avid offroader. On weekends he rides his CR125 through the local mountains near Bologna. He's also done some proper offroad designs (which he won't show anyone, spoil sport). Unfortunately, for Ducati to design and build offroady bikes like those would require a lot of resources, a step away from Ducati's core market and a step into an already heavily competitive market. It would've been fun though.

To your credit, you are a patient man, thanks for this post.