Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 116761 times)

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1000 on: January 10, 2019, 02:24:23 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I suppose that is how it is.  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1001 on: January 17, 2019, 12:31:41 pm »
This time last year, I was sitting in New Zealand and reflecting on my time in Botswana. What a trip.
Now I'm sitting in Green Point, still reflecting on my time in Botswana  :laughing4:

Towards the end of last year my boyfriend said "Why don't we do a bike trip around the coast?"
Hmmm, now there's an idea. So I set about renting a bike and realised that it just wasn't financially viable. Then some fantastic WD's came to the rescue.  :3some:

So on Tuesday we collected a good old Suzuki DR650.
I was a little nervous - I hadn't ridden a bike in a long time, and we'd have 30km to commute on the highway, and this was my second time riding with a pillion.
But once on the bike, with the single cylinder purring away (yes, this DR purrs. It ran far smoother than the one I used to own), I started to relax. The first few stops and traffic lights were a little wobbly, but soon it felt as if I hadn't had a 2 year gap in my bike riding.

Even on the highway, I was overjoyed. It felt so good to feel the wind in my face.

We took the N1 to Cape Town from Brackenfell, then jumped on to the M2, N2, and M3.
Not in a rush, we cruised at 80-100km/h, taking plenty of time to just enjoy the view and the road.
I toyed with the idea of going over Ou Kaapse Weg, but chose to take Boyes Drive instead. We were awarded with fantastic views of a wonderfully calm blue sea. Bliss.

We popped in to the harbour at Kalk Bay, and spied the seals, one of which was out the water and catching a nap on the pier.

The riding had worked up an appetite - I had forgotten how much hard work it is, so we popped over to Kalk Bay Expresso for pancakes and coffee. Mmmm! Consistently good food and coffee!

Adequately fueled, we mandered through Fish Hoek, and then did a short section of Ou Kaapse Weg before turning to Noordhoek and on to Chapman's Peak Drive.
Now, I don't think I've ever ridden Chapman's Peak Drive. I've cycled it, and driven it, but never been on a motorbike. I know, right.
I took it super easy and enjoyed the view.

Then we pulled in to Hout Bay and commenced the search for lunch. I was after some lekker fish and chips, and it took a bit of back and forth to eventually decide on a place - my boyfriend doesn't eat fish. We wound up at Muriel's, which wasn't too bad. But the shop at Mariner's Wharf smelt amazing and I'm going to go there next time!

The sun was out, there was a light breeze, and we were exploring by motorbike. What more does a gal need  :ricky:

Then work phoned... I was on night shift and they had a flight to PE. Woooohoooo! At least, almost a year at AMS and I finally get a PE flight!  :biggrin:
I checked the weather and NOTAMS (notice to airmen), then told work we could take off at 19:30.

Yay!
We rode along the coast to Green Point where I dropped my boyfriend at home. It was 3pm and traffic was already starting. I'd drop the bike back in Brackenfell and then head straight to the airport with my car.

I enjoyed the trip back to Brackenfell, and took great satisfaction in zipping past all the people in their cages. But sjoe, some okes lanesplit and ridiculous speeds!

I filled up the bike so it would be ready for its next adventure. It cost a whopping R95. I can't remember the last time I paid less than R600 to fill a petrol tank, so that was really cool!

And then it was off to work.

The following users thanked this post: Carrots

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1002 on: January 17, 2019, 12:39:59 pm »
Nice man  :thumleft:
Eat life!

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1003 on: January 17, 2019, 12:46:36 pm »
1.) Kalk Bay Harbour
2.) Lazy seal
3.) Calm sea
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:53:49 pm by Sardine »

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1004 on: January 17, 2019, 12:53:21 pm »
1.) The Beastie
2.) Mmmm, pancakes!
3.) Noordhoek

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1005 on: January 17, 2019, 12:54:58 pm »
1.) Noordhoek Beach
2.) Concentration...
3.) Chapman's Peak Drive

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1006 on: January 17, 2019, 12:55:54 pm »
1.) Hout Bay
2.) Biker shot
3.) Photos with bikes are just perfect

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1007 on: January 17, 2019, 01:01:10 pm »
1.) Hout Bay Harbour
2+3.) We went in search of a coffee shop, but could only find a few ship propellers lying around... turns out the coffee shop was closed for renovations

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1008 on: January 17, 2019, 01:01:41 pm »
1.) Fish and chips, lekker!
2.) Last one of the bike before blasting off home

I didn't realise how much I missed being on a bike.
My legs are still sore and my shoulders stiff, but man it was just so good. :patch:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1009 on: January 17, 2019, 01:10:17 pm »
The drive to work was against traffic, fortunately, and I arrived with heaps of time to spare.
So I made sure the aircraft was ready, and did all the paperwork for the flight, taking care to familiarise myself with procedures specific to Port Elizabeth, and the airport layout as well as terrain near the airport.

We got going right on time and it was a chilled flight of around 1.5hrs, sitting at FL250.

We wanted to go into town to wait, but there wasn't room in the ambulance. So we went to the Engen across from the aiport and had some lekker strong coffee.
I had planned to be on the ground for 2.5 hours. It came and went. I got munchies and had a rather disappointing pie. After having a pie from Peregrine Farmstall all other pies have been ruined.
While we waited we did online quizzes on the PC-12 and learnt a few things. And waited. And waited. And finally got word the crew was on their way back. Sans patient.
I don't want to post details as I don't know all of them and you never know who reads this stuff.

So we packed up and walked back to the airport. And security refused to let us through to the apron.
We had gone through the arrivals hall.
"You must go through departures."
"It is closed."
"Huh?"
"The departures doors are padlocked closed. Please can we go through here?"
"No."
"So how do we get to the plane?"
"Plane?"
"Yes, the aeroplane, we are the pilots. We must fly our medical crew to Cape Town."
"Oh... you must go through the main entrance outside where the cars go through."
"It's raining. And we aren't in a car."
"You must go."

Now this is really not the conversation you want at midnight.

We eventually got to the plane (after phoning the ambo and asking them to pick us up and drive us through).
Then we spent 30 minutes trying to pay landing and parking fees.

Long story short, we landed at about 03:30. The headwind was strong and it took us about 2 hours to get back.
The flight back was smooth, and absolutely pitch black. So we turned the cockpit lights right down and kept ourselves awake by marveling at the wonder that is the Milky Way. It never gets old!

Photo: stages of sunset at 25 000ft

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #1010 on: January 17, 2019, 04:52:34 pm »
The drive to work was against traffic, fortunately, and I arrived with heaps of time to spare.
So I made sure the aircraft was ready, and did all the paperwork for the flight, taking care to familiarise myself with procedures specific to Port Elizabeth, and the airport layout as well as terrain near the airport.

We got going right on time and it was a chilled flight of around 1.5hrs, sitting at FL250.

We wanted to go into town to wait, but there wasn't room in the ambulance. So we went to the Engen across from the aiport and had some lekker strong coffee.
I had planned to be on the ground for 2.5 hours. It came and went. I got munchies and had a rather disappointing pie. After having a pie from Peregrine Farmstall all other pies have been ruined.
While we waited we did online quizzes on the PC-12 and learnt a few things. And waited. And waited. And finally got word the crew was on their way back. Sans patient.
I don't want to post details as I don't know all of them and you never know who reads this stuff.

So we packed up and walked back to the airport. And security refused to let us through to the apron.
We had gone through the arrivals hall.
"You must go through departures."
"It is closed."
"Huh?"
"The departures doors are padlocked closed. Please can we go through here?"
"No."
"So how do we get to the plane?"
"Plane?"
"Yes, the aeroplane, we are the pilots. We must fly our medical crew to Cape Town."
"Oh... you must go through the main entrance outside where the cars go through."
"It's raining. And we aren't in a car."
"You must go."

Now this is really not the conversation you want at midnight.

We eventually got to the plane (after phoning the ambo and asking them to pick us up and drive us through).
Then we spent 30 minutes trying to pay landing and parking fees.

Long story short, we landed at about 03:30. The headwind was strong and it took us about 2 hours to get back.
The flight back was smooth, and absolutely pitch black. So we turned the cockpit lights right down and kept ourselves awake by marveling at the wonder that is the Milky Way. It never gets old!

Photo: stages of sunset at 25 000ft
Stunning
Just because your bachelors did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Rooikoos

« Reply #1011 on: January 17, 2019, 05:16:56 pm »
Sorry for the hijack

On Tuesday I got the opportunity to fly in this beauty from Stellenbosch to Cape Town International. It belongs to a client of mine, and he had to take it to Robin Coss to upgrade the nav system.

We flew out over Fisantekraal, then Melkbos and over Robben Island, before going in to land at Cape Town.

On approach we were asked to fly a tighter pattern because there was a Qatar Airways A350 waiting to take off.

What a great experience, I am just used to flying in airliners as a passenger

Hijack off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Sardine