Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 205031 times)

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1100 on: May 24, 2019, 11:59:01 pm »
As I have a lot of free time, I have been focusing on improving my strength and running. At the gym at 5am most days, I have found it has really helped me to focus, and motivates me for the day.

You inspire me, Heather. I used to run/gym nearly every morning, and then I got sick, and then I got busy, and then I got lazy. You just gave me the kick in the pants I need to get going properly again, thanks!  :thumleft:

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1101 on: May 25, 2019, 09:52:03 pm »
Hey Sardine, pity about the cold! Just get back into it as soon as possible and you'll be motivated again in no time, hopefully.

What is the Chipmunk?

I've been told tight hamstrings also cause problems with posture that can lead to hip and back problems, good thing you caught it. Are you training to correct it?

I'm not a runner, more of a biker (not the self-propelled kind either), but I walk funny so also had to look at foot roll. Foot bridge arches also play a part. The body is an amazing thing.

Hope you get busy again soon, love to read about your adventures :thumleft:

For the hamstrings, I have started stretching post run, and also every morning and evening.
I have bought an electric toothbrush, so that means 2 minutes of stretching every morning and evening :)
It is starting to work.

@TeeJay, thank you :)

@Mrs. Zog, woohoo! You go girl. Hopefully once I kick this cold in the butt I can get back into my routine.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1102 on: June 08, 2019, 03:05:00 pm »
I did something very bad today... I popped in at Mad Macs, and they had a beautiful black Kawasaki Versys X on the floor. And I sat on it.
You know when you sit on a bike and everything just fits and feels so right? That happened.
The seat was comfortable, the handle bars the perfect height and sweep, the foot pegs perfect for my legs, the view and lightness of the bike wonderful...

The BMW didn't feel anywhere near that good.

It has been a few hours and I still can't shake the feeling.  :drif:

Anyone have R70k lying around?

Offline Ri

« Reply #1103 on: June 10, 2019, 12:42:26 pm »
I've heard and read good things about the Kawasaki Versys. Maybe take the Red Cross plain out for illicit and pricey tourist flips?

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1104 on: June 18, 2019, 07:29:36 am »
Just as I was recovering from my cold, I was hit again. Fortunately this time it seems to have been a sinus infection rather than flu. But my training still took a knock and now I find myself wondering “why do I even want to enter a marathon.” No! I can’t think like that!

We have been having fantastic albeit cold weather in the Cape. We did a beautiful flight to Vredendal over the weekend and on Sunday i was loafing about and thought “I should really make the most of this weather and drag the Chipmunk out.”

I didn’t. But I did decide to fly on Monday morning. Early. The only thing better than watching the sunrise, is watching it from the air!

So I invited a friend who is also a pilot. Two reasons- it would hold me accountable so I wouldn’t hit snooze. And he could help me move the planes (the Chipmunk is parked behind 3 other aircraft. Phew! I forgot how much effort it takes to push aircraft around!)

Anyway, I really suffer with the cold. So at 05:45 yesterday morning I layered up. Thick socks, long johns, jeans, base layer shirt, Merino top, scarf, jacket, gloves and a beanie. Yeeha!

We got to the airfield at 06:45. The moon was shining bright and we could clearly make out the mountains. It was the perfect night for flying. But, we waited until subrise before we got airborne.

Wow! Wow! Wow! SO worth the early start and cold!

We cruised to Sir Lowry’s Pass, across to Theewaterskloof, then to Franschhoek and Helshoogte. We were enjoying it so much we went around the Helderberg mountain before returning to reality and landing back at Stellenbosch. The headset time is like helmet time.

Yes I fly for a living but flying for fun without a co-pilot is completely different! I really needed it!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1105 on: June 18, 2019, 07:31:18 am »
I live for this...

The following users thanked this post: EssBee, Kerritz, Mrs. Zog

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1106 on: June 18, 2019, 07:38:52 am »
Tonfinishnoff webhad a lekker brekkie at the flying clib before heading home.

It was freezing in the house and I decided I couldn’t spend the day inside. Still not 100% I decided to take the dog for a walk (rather than go run or cycle).

There is a dam near the house so we took a wander there with lots of stops for sniffing and peeing and squirrel watching. The pooch, Alvin, is a greyhound x retriever x who knows what. He is young but has the usual large breed problems i.ez bad hips. So I made sure to take it slow as we were going to cover some distance and he hasn’t been walked in a while.

He was an absolute star. Apart from the two steaming dumps he left me...

We got to the dam and it was beautiful! A guy had 8 fishing rods set up! Unfortunately I only thought of Gary after we left so I didn’t get a photo.

I tried to get Alvin to drink some water but, the retriever in him promptly tried to leap into the dam! Twit.
We compromised and I let him go in the water up to his shoulders while his butt stayed on dry land.

Afterwards I let him walk himself. He was so tired  by now and quite content to plod along. Every time he realised I wasn’t right behind him he came back to me to check I was ok. I cannot describe the love I have for this dog. I am going to be very sad when he goes to the big kennel in the sky one day.

The following users thanked this post: Kerritz, Mrs. Zog

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1107 on: June 18, 2019, 07:39:10 am »
WOW - you are truly blessed  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Ri

« Reply #1108 on: June 18, 2019, 07:38:02 pm »
That dam is down the road a bit from my new home :thumleft:

I'm not a doggy person, but my cousin moved in with her two whiners and they've adopted me as a second owner - come running up the stairs to wake me on a weekend morning and demand to be put on the bed. Nice to be adored ;D

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1109 on: June 18, 2019, 08:01:18 pm »
Awesome, that sunrise pictures and your passion for flying!!  :thumleft:

I see the Sanlam Marathon is only on the 15th of Sept? Plenty of time to get ready for that!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1110 on: June 22, 2019, 06:46:08 am »
George a few nights ago...

The following users thanked this post: halfjob, EssBee, Kerritz

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1111 on: June 22, 2019, 05:14:26 pm »
Stunning pic - nice colours.
Ja/Nee

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1112 on: June 25, 2019, 10:53:59 am »
 :eek7:

Offline Grunder

« Reply #1113 on: June 25, 2019, 12:11:21 pm »
Wow!

Good luck  :thumleft:
F800gs

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #1114 on: June 25, 2019, 01:22:15 pm »
Now you are committed! Well done and good luck with the training.  :thumleft: :biggrin:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline JoeR

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #1115 on: June 26, 2019, 11:53:16 am »
I pay you respect!

Offline Ganjora

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #1116 on: June 26, 2019, 12:46:09 pm »
run a few marathons in my time.
good luck with the last 10km,  up to there it's a walk in the park.

Offline Ri

« Reply #1117 on: June 26, 2019, 03:57:12 pm »
Crazy...  :eek7:

Will hold thumbs. Let me know if I need to drop off energy drinks/jet fuel along the way for you :thumleft:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1118 on: July 01, 2019, 06:45:14 am »
I had Thursday-Saturday off so I escaped to the West Coast.
I sat around, ate far too much, and slept a lot. It was fantastic. But the best part was the sea.

I could hear it from the house and see it from the living area. As rain came and went the colour of the ocean changed, and the waves intesified before calming down. We even saw whales.

Today it’s back to the program and I kicked things off with a run at gym. I only did two runs last week, so despite a bit of a knee niggle (and weighing 5kg extra from all the food), I was well rested.

It was a good run (intervals), and as I did my stretches (something I used to hate), and my heart rate slowed to a thud, thud, thud from the thudthudthudthudthudthud I felt a sense of peace. Like the calm of the sound of the ocean washing over you. It’s a nice feeling.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1119 on: July 01, 2019, 06:32:20 pm »
I had Thursday-Saturday off so I escaped to the West Coast.
I sat around, ate far too much, and slept a lot. It was fantastic. But the best part was the sea.

I could hear it from the house and see it from the living area. As rain came and went the colour of the ocean changed, and the waves intesified before calming down. We even saw whales.

Today it’s back to the program and I kicked things off with a run at gym. I only did two runs last week, so despite a bit of a knee niggle (and weighing 5kg extra from all the food), I was well rested.

It was a good run (intervals), and as I did my stretches (something I used to hate), and my heart rate slowed to a thud, thud, thud from the thudthudthudthudthudthud I felt a sense of peace. Like the calm of the sound of the ocean washing over you. It’s a nice feeling.

Stunning picture!

Sardine unfortunately I will not be in SA to join in on the Cape town Marathon, but I have a good excuse since I finally (phew  :) ) got work in Kansas.
Welldone on the training, sounds like you got it under control!
Just one thing, and the best advice I got on running a marathon: Stop running a week before the marathon, rest that week.
Trust me on that; I have tried and tested and it makes a huge difference in the results. You will be ok, and you know it!  :laughing4: