Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 143820 times)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1140 on: July 08, 2019, 07:27:56 am »
What visit to Darling is complete without a visit to Evita Se Perron.
We popped in and had a look around. I have been through Darling a few times, but I don't think I have ever actually been in to Evita's. To be honest, I don't think I have even watched any of the Evita shows  :o

It is really nicely done up, and as I am a 1992 model, interesting and sad to see all the signs separating the blacks and whites. Discrimination isn't cool.
The garden with the restaurant seating area is luscious and green, and offers a view of the train track.

Rather than going home via the N7, I took the road to Malmesbury, and we returned to Somerset West through Stellenbosch. We passed Mamre train station and I stopped for a quick photo. I finally found Mamre!  :patch:
As part of the flight training at Stellenbosch, the final test involves finding Mamre.

We got home around 4pm. What a lekker day!

Where to next?  :peepwall:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1141 on: July 08, 2019, 07:29:56 am »

Offline Shaun500

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #1142 on: July 08, 2019, 08:02:08 am »
Plane is prepped for our PE flight.

Parked in PE. I missed the yellow line  8)
What is that bulge thing on the wingtip? I have always wondered. Auxilary fuel? Weather radar?

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1143 on: July 08, 2019, 09:38:24 am »
Plane is prepped for our PE flight.

Parked in PE. I missed the yellow line  8)
What is that bulge thing on the wingtip? I have always wondered. Auxilary fuel? Weather radar?

Hi Shaun,
That’s the weather radar.

An example of wingtip tanks attached.
The PC-12 carries over 1250lbs of fuel in each wing, giving us an endurance of over 5.5hrs (in still air conditions, over 1300nm).

Offline Shaun500

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #1144 on: July 08, 2019, 09:51:46 am »
Thanks Heather... I thought it was a weather radar but wasn't really sure.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1145 on: July 08, 2019, 07:53:39 pm »
As I was reading that, I thought "Pffft, 1200m. Try 600m at 3000ft elevation when it's 35-40degC outside!". Then I read and remembered you're at 10 000ft  :(

The PC-12's are incredibly strong aircraft. I have heard a few stories about blown tyres though. And their brakes are very sensitive.
On my list of "Planes I want to command one day"  :ricky:

Who would have thought  :deal:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1146 on: July 09, 2019, 07:12:46 pm »
There must be a screw loose when you find yourself in a bike shop, looking at a bike of R70k +, and you find yourself wondering “which is sexier... the Specialized, or the Kawasaki Versys?”
And then you wonder “which will bring me more joy?”... and you lean slightly more towards the Specialized :eek7:

Either way, I ain’t oaying R70k for anything right now.

How did I find myself in that position?

Well, you see...
I was craving a cookie and coffee from Specialized Stellenbosch. It was such a beautiful day I figured “eh, may as well cycle over, it’s only about 14km each way.”

So I did. Along the R44. And I loved it. The uphills weren’t nearly as bad as I expected. Only one idiot almost took me out with his car. And this was really good prep for two things:
1.) I want to cycle to, and then run, the Route 44 Parkrun at some point. Now I know how long it will take me to cycle there.
2.) If the weather allows, I will be running to the Slow Market in Stellenbosch on Saturday, so the bike ride allowed me to scout out the route.
 :ricky:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:13:43 pm by Sardine »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1147 on: July 09, 2019, 08:41:16 pm »
Sardine I am loving my MTB a Wd gave me some time ago, but the Verys has got my vote!!

Thanks for the cloudy pictures, I love it and even the lens flair adds character. :thumleft:

I still think you got Itb in your knee as result of your mentioned problem, and the correct streches will sort that.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1148 on: July 09, 2019, 09:13:46 pm »
Sardine I am loving my MTB a Wd gave me some time ago, but the Verys has got my vote!!

Thanks for the cloudy pictures, I love it and even the lens flair adds character. :thumleft:

I still think you got Itb in your knee as result of your mentioned problem, and the correct streches will sort that.
Thanks Tom!

Yes, the physio said it’s ITB.
Since starting the exercises I can feel an improvement. Still a lot if stiffness in my hip, but less pain when I push on my leg, and only a slight knee niggle if I step funny.

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #1149 on: July 10, 2019, 02:36:46 pm »
Heather, have a look at Bike Addict if you're window shopping for MTB's, they have some good deals.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1150 on: July 11, 2019, 06:36:44 am »
Heather, have a look at Bike Addict if you're window shopping for MTB's, they have some good deals.
I wish you hadn't told me that, EssBee... Now I'm thinking getting a dual sus frame and swapping my components over is a good idea...

I have a really nice Silverback MTB with XT and Deore components. Unfortunately the frame is just a bit too big, and I'm all stretched out even with the handlebars turned (they have a bit of a sweep), and the seat all the way forward.

I'm taking it for a service on Monday and the guys at the store I'm using are always very helpful, so I'm going to see what they say.
I could also look at doing a trade in.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1151 on: July 11, 2019, 07:02:40 am »
From unmotorised to motorised cycles: do you have any news about Women's Day yet?  :biggrin:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1152 on: July 11, 2019, 08:11:32 am »
From unmotorised to motorised cycles: do you have any news about Women's Day yet?  :biggrin:
Still waiting.  :patch:

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #1153 on: July 11, 2019, 11:38:25 am »
I wish you hadn't told me that, EssBee... Now I'm thinking getting a dual sus frame and swapping my components over is a good idea...

I have a really nice Silverback MTB with XT and Deore components. Unfortunately the frame is just a bit too big, and I'm all stretched out even with the handlebars turned (they have a bit of a sweep), and the seat all the way forward.

I'm taking it for a service on Monday and the guys at the store I'm using are always very helpful, so I'm going to see what they say.
I could also look at doing a trade in.

Mountain Biking rocks....you can thank me later :biggrin:

Ja/nee...don't muck about with a bike that's too big...not good...you could end up with injuries in your knees, back, wherever...

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1154 on: July 20, 2019, 02:43:46 pm »
Marathon training update
56 days to go

It has been about 3hrs since I finished my run. Feeling has finally returned to my face, hands, butt, legs and feet.

Today was a tough one, both mentally and physically. The weather was perfect, far better than yesterday so I am glad I decided to wait until today to run.

I did an out-and-back route this time, now that I know there is no Slow Market in Stellenbosch. This had a psychological effect as I knew where the end was, having just coming from that direction, but now I also had to be careful to pace myself and not overdo it. Also, instead of just two big ascents, I now had four, and it turns out the uphills on the R44 going towards Stellenbosch aren’t quite as bad as coming back...

It was chilly in the shade, and my hands were little ice bricks. But it was good going to Stellenbosch Square (my turn around point) and I soon warmed up and found a groove.

Turning around, however, I was hit with a headwind. Not very strong, but constant, enough to start draining my energy and the wind chill meant my hands froze up again. You know it’s cold when your hands skip turning blue and just go yellow!

I had to force myself to not think about the hills, and found myself head down, zoned out, only looking up every now and then when my watch buzzed to indicate another mile done.

There were a few times where I found myself wanting to just walk, but I managed to push on. Except for the last bit, of the last hill. The one from Avontuur up until about Yonder Hill. What a killer.

But after that, it was essentially all downhill from there. I contemplated pushing to 25km but decided to stick with my planned route.

I felt a lot more tense on this run, and my energy levels dropped far more than on last week’s run. Lessons learnt: don’t do a heavy strength training session the day before (so THAT’s what engaging your core when running feels like!), and, cheerios and ice cream the night before don’t adequately fuel the body... darn.

24.28km in 2h52, an average pace of 7:07/km, a little slower than last week but still very happy.

The following users thanked this post: Kerritz

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1155 on: July 20, 2019, 09:56:08 pm »
I share your 'core problem' and have learned that Cataflam D and a good rub of Arnica gel over the abdomen area work a charm, at least for me!
Good to see you are focused; when you got your head sorted you are basically 90% there!!  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1156 on: July 23, 2019, 06:19:28 am »
Crazy woman. If I see you passing on the R44, I'll wave from my patio, sipping my G&T / hot chocolate, depending on the season.

Yes, Avontuur to Yonder Hill is very steep. Next time, look to the right though; behind that lane of poplar trees are the cutest little miniature horses, should take your mind off the torture running for a second.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1157 on: July 23, 2019, 09:05:24 am »
I share your 'core problem' and have learned that Cataflam D and a good rub of Arnica gel over the abdomen area work a charm, at least for me!
Good to see you are focused; when you got your head sorted you are basically 90% there!!  :thumleft:

Thanks Tom. It was more just from working out the day before. Now I know!

@Ri, hahahaha, I will keep an eye out.
I have seen the miniature horses. It is actually a stunning route to run, especially in the morning as the sun filters through all the trees.

I am sick in bed  :-\ Once again, just when I was really getting into the swing of things. I have been doing 2 running days, with 3 strength training days, but maybe I pushed a little too much.
So it's bed for me. Fortunately we aren't flying anywhere with today's weather, so I didn't have to go in to work.

Now I just need to fight the urge to eat everything in sight!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1158 on: July 23, 2019, 01:08:41 pm »
Good luck with the Cape town Marathon!! I'll keep an eye on the forum to see a picture of your medal on the day!!  :laughing4: :thumleft:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:21:05 pm by Tom van Brits »

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1159 on: July 25, 2019, 03:03:43 pm »
I have to be really sick before I will even consider going to the doctor.
Last night was agony. I have had a sore throat before, but this was next level. I would nod off for a minute or two, then wake up with my throat on fire.

So I dragged myself off to the doc this morning. The good news is that I don't have flu. The bad news is I have tonsillitis.
I am pulling my hair out at home. A cold, bored Heather isn't fun. And I haven't run since Monday. But, I am willing myself to get better as I have a hike this weekend.

:lamer: